+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Volume on PC- very quiet! Any ideas? in Technical; I've noticed that the sound volume on some new desktops is pretty quiet. I've checked that the volume levels on ...
    Thank Post

Volume on PC- very quiet! Any ideas?

I've noticed that the sound volume on some new desktops is pretty quiet. I've checked that the volume levels on WMP and XP sound controls are on max, and there is definitely sound coming out. However some movies and dvds play a little quieter, and it can be difficult to hear in a classroom.

We have powered speakers, but obviously not powerful enough (30w Amplified Powered Speakers). It's an Acer Vertion M464 desktop PC.

I also bought a pre-amplifier to see if that would help, but the sound quality isn't great, and I get a hum. (--|40-630A|STEREO PHONO RIAA PRE-AMPLIFIER | CPC).

Any thoughts? Anyone use an amplifier, and if so, where can I get one that is relatively cheap that won't need to buy new speakers?

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 1,342 Posts
    Does it have an hd sound card? reinstall the drivers.

Ben

3. Thanks to plexer from:

rocknrollstar (30th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks plexer, but I think it just on onboard sound, not a seperate sound card. Would a sound card be louder?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    Thanks plexer, but I think it just on onboard sound, not a seperate sound card. Would a sound card be louder?
    Onboard sound can still be HD. Would still be worth finding the latest drivers and installing them.

6. Thanks to Fridge from:

Thank Post

Obvious question... sorry..

Have you tried the speakers on something else, like an MP3 player, CD player or another model of PC?

Do they sound any louder?
    It could well be that the sound card is a multichannel or 5.1/4.1 etc card?

If you are getting hum, it sounds like a the speakers aren't picking up a full sound signal and they should sound much louder on something else.

I assume you've checked all the various volume controls, Master volume, Wave, CD Player, etc in audio properties.
    Might be worth checking in (options and properties) that there aren't some controls not showing that you need.
    Something might be muted.

Just some thoughts and ramblings...
    Last edited by diggory; 14th May 2009 at 08:13 AM.

8. Thanks to diggory from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts
    A favourite with the little darlings here is to leave the master volume control untouched, but to modify the minor ones to lower levels or mute them (double-click on the speaker in the system tray to see the whole lot); so it's not obvious why the sound is so quiet or doesn't work.

NirCmd is a fab little tool recommended on these board by Geoff that's great for ensuring these get reset to values of your choice!

10. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone. I've not tried an additional mp3 player, but will do.

However, I found this website Fix Low Volume When Playing DVD Movies Raymond.CC Blog which suggested installing a free ac3filter and near-maxing the gain, which has done the trick (for free!).

Thanks again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 1,342 Posts
    I've had this on laptops with internal sound which were HD and installing newer driver solved the issue.

Ben

13. Thanks to plexer from:

Thank Post
    Depending where the OP is using it, the pre-amplifier is probably the cause of the hum.

I'd guess it is connected between the PC output and the speakers, which is a completely incorrect application for it. The pre-amplifier listed is an RIAA Phono pre-amp, which is intended to take the output from a record player (which would be at an order of magnitude lower voltage than a PC output) and feed it to a line input. The RIAA bit also refers to some magic the pre-amp does to provide correction to a turntable input, which will adversely affect other sources.

I would recommend disconnecting the pre-amp, and trying some of the other suggestions to improve the output from the PC. How does it sound with headphones connected?

15. Thanks to crc-ict from:

Thank Post
    Just a follow up on this thread. We had 2 more new 660i's installed today, and I asked for the speakers not to go through the IWB control panel. I.E. on a previous installation, the 30w speakers only worked when the IWB was turned on, and the volume was too low for many DVDs

So I asked the gent who did today's installation to make the speaker leads bypass the IWB panel, and go directly into the PC. Not only did it work, but the sound is now incredibly loud, and now has to be limited!

We did use the ac3filter on a few pcs, but to be honest it tended to distort the sound too much.

So it's a winner- more than enough volume through the speakers, and the IWBs don't have to be turned on to listen to the speakers, saving bulb life.

Moral- Ignore the SmartBoard Junction panel for the audio, as it seems to reduce the volume. Go directly from the speakers to the PC with a 3.5mm jack.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread