+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, How common is the Silverlight runtime ? in Technical; I'm planning to do some development for school stuff (which will be freebies), mixture of Web Applications, SCORM compliant materials ...

Thank Post

How common is the Silverlight runtime ?

I'm planning to do some development for school stuff (which will be freebies), mixture of Web Applications, SCORM compliant materials etc.

I'm unsure as to whether to code in DHTML or Silverlight. Silverlight is easier, obviously, but has the problem of requiring the plugin.

Could people advise me as to how prevalent the plug in is, and how easy it would be for teachers and/or network staff to install it, in primary or secondary environments ? Would 'lock downs' prevent the usual install method SL2 uses (offers the download if the plugin isn't found). I understand the tech. fine but I'm not au fait with the various network systems.

TIA. All opinions gratefully accepted

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    What about javaFX

JavaFX | Rich Internet Applications Development | RIAs Java FX

I want something that runs on my phone and linux box - as well as windows/mac !

also consider flash, adobe air widens you audience too

Thank Post
    In even a half-heartedly managed Windows domain environment you won't typically let people install any software from the web or anywhere else.

Deploying Silverlight the same way as you might deploy Flash, Shockwave in a school Windows domain is not difficult. Version 2 is currently on my standard browser plugins list as was version 1.

It's probably not that common yet, but ultimately if people want to use your app there's nothing to stop their IT folk from deploying it.

adobe air widens you audience too
    Adobe say they're working on the corporate deployment package we want for Air, so I'm ignoring it until that is released.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    ultimately if people want to use your app there's nothing to stop their IT folk from deploying it.
    The thing about web based content, particularly SCORM material for VLE's is that it isn't necessarily going to be installed on corporate/school managed computers. It needs to be accessible for anywhere anytime learning - on students home devices ( not necessarily windows pc's!). To hit the widest audience, then flash probably has the greatest market share at the moment- but you'll find most devices have java too, there is a lot of scope for JavaFX and many developers already speak Java.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can deploy Silverlight through a Windows update server. Ironically silverlight does have allot of problems displaying content through and ISA server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread