+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Microsoft Licenses in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

"Work at Home" or "Home Use Programme"

You mentioned Work at Home rights, which allows you to give your staff software to use on their home PC. In discussions with schools, many of them don't use this, because of the obligation on the school to keep a reasonably tight rein on the software - for example, to ensure that staff have removed it if they leave school. And the other issue that comes up is that technically staff are only permitted to use this at home for school work.

If you've got a School Agreement, or Campus Agreement, or subscribe to Software Assurance (which means this will apply to a few thousand schools) then there is an alternative way to help staff get Office for home use, and it is a darn sight easier to manage (and more flexible).

It's called Home Use Programme, and it allows the school licensing administrator to tick a box on a web page, and then staff go independently to a website and order the Office Enterprise themselves. It costs about £13 per copy, and staff pay with their own credit card, get the software shipped directly to them (and can Microsoft for support, in the same way that they could if they'd bought a retail version).

You (the school) are obliged to tell them that they should stop using the software if the school discontinue your School Agreement, or if they leave the employment of the school. But you aren't responsible for managing their licence, and they aren't restricted to only using it for school-related work.

You can also place a bulk order, and then distribute to staff. And at the moment, if you order bulk copies on behalf of staff, you pay £6 per copy as long as you order 20 copies. And of course, under this way of buying, you'd probably charge staff for their copy - it's just an easy way to bulk order

Blog post, and all the relevant links, are here

2. 5 Thanks to rayfleming:

dwhyte85 (19th May 2009), GrumbleDook (18th May 2009), Linfit (21st May 2009), Talorin (21st May 2009), User3204 (21st May 2009)

Thank Post
    I think you'll find that for the MS Select agreement, you have to licence every machine that could run Windows. You don't have the option of just licencing those you will run Windows on. This should include all your Intel-based Apples running MAC OS X...

Oh, and stop whingeing about your measly little £8K costs - last year ours was £15K+

Cheers, 7&Y

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 7andY View Post
    I think you'll find that for the MS Select agreement, you have to licence every machine that could run Windows. You don't have the option of just licencing those you will run Windows on. This should include all your Intel-based Apples running MAC OS X...

Oh, and stop whingeing about your measly little £8K costs - last year ours was £15K+

Cheers, 7&Y
    You do not have to license every computer you could run windows in with Select agreement. You only have to license the ones you want to run the software on.

The MS Schools Agreement has the requirement that you license all the machines that could run Windows.

Also, I bet your school is a lot larger than ours, namely a secondary with equivalent levels of secondary funding. We are a middle school, so have 2 years of secondary and 2 of primary. So a lot less funding...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The MS Schools Agreement has the requirement that you license all the machines that could run Windows.
    I recall MS retracted that clause after Becta complained to office of fair trading
    n October 2007 Becta complained to the UK competition regulator – the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) - alleging:

* anti-competitive licensing practices by Microsoft in the schools software marketplace
    About Becta - Becta refers its interoperability complaint to the European Commission - Becta
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 21st May 2009 at 09:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I recall MS retracted that clause after Becta complained to office of fair tradingto Trading standards

About Becta - Becta refers its interoperability complaint to the European Commission - Becta
    Not according to every Microsoft licensing reseller I have spoken to. The clause still stands - MS Schools Agreement = Every computer *capable* of running Windows. (Not including ones sat on shelves and not being used at all etc...)

The only odd one is Terminal Server CALs. If you are like us, with 100 thin clients, which won't run XP/Vista/7 then you would think you wouldn't have to license them to use it, but the rule is that if we want to use Office on them, then we also have to pay for the Xp/Vista license too. If we don't want to run Office, then we don't have to pay for the extra 100 XP/Vista licenses.

Thank Post
    Not according to every Microsoft licensing reseller I have spoken to. The clause still stands - MS Schools Agreement = Every computer *capable* of running Windows. (Not including ones sat on shelves and not being used at all etc...)
    ouch.
    Our thin clients are 1.6Ghz atom mobos with 2GB ram. I guess that puts them into the MSTax bracket.

Any chance you can link me to a document that says about the TC's:
    but the rule is that if we want to use Office on them, then we also have to pay for the Xp/Vista license too.
    I thought I just needed an MSOffice licence for each device I wanted to run MSOffice on. Surely not an XP/Vista license as well if I already have a TS Device CAL and an Office Licence ??

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ouch.
    Our thin clients are 1.6Ghz atom mobos with 2GB ram. I guess that puts them into the MSTax bracket.

Any chance you can link me to a document that says about the TC's:

I thought I just needed an MSOffice licence for each device I wanted to run MSOffice on. Surely not an XP/Vista license as well if I already have a TS Device CAL and an Office Licence ??
    This is what I've been told by 3 MS sellers now - all having had to check with the MS licensing team about it.

It is the same as with any license under MS Schools. eg. You want to run Encarta and Office, you have 200 desktops and 100 thin clients connecting to a farm of 2k3 servers you would need:

300 Windows Desktop Licenses
    300 Office Licenses
    300 TS Cals
    300 Server CALs
    300 Encarta licenses

ie. you have to include the TS's in the count if you intend to run them with any software...

9. Thanks to localzuk from:

CyberNerd (21st May 2009)

Thank Post
    You do not have to license every computer you could run windows in with Select agreement. You only have to license the ones you want to run the software on.
    localzuk, do you have any information on how software assurance can be purchased when MS licences are purchased from the local authority, who obviously tend to have an existing enterprise/select agreement in place.

Presumably software assurance is purchased at the point they buy from their suppliers and the LA alone receive the relevant registration details/PIN numbers [whatever is provided to allow registration on the MVLS site], but not provided the individual school purchasing the licensing. Is that correct ?

How do schools who purchase through their LA's get software assurance on the licenses they purchase ?

And if they can get SA via LA licensing purchases do these still provide free upgrade to next version rights ?

Thank Post
    @localzuk
    Does this only apply to MSSchools agreement - If I had bought MSOffice and TSCAls on a perpetual license, would I also need the XP/Vista.

Are you sure the MSresellers are not just trying for some extra commission, it just doesn;t sound right/legal to me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    How do schools who purchase through their LA's get software assurance on the licenses they purchase ?

And if they can get SA via LA licensing purchases do these still provide free upgrade to next version rights ?
    I'm afraid I have no idea, we don't purchase things through our LA. What I was told regarding the Select Agreement stuff I looked at though is that the Select Agreement deals for schools is under a master contract held by Becta (which runs out in Sept), and the contract schools and LAs purchase into is actually a sub-contract of that Becta one. So, it should be set up with its own agreement number etc... to use via the MS Licensing site. The access to it from an LA contract would be down to the LA to deal with I guess.

@localzuk
    Does this only apply to MSSchools agreement - If I had bought MSOffice and TSCAls on a perpetual license, would I also need the XP/Vista.

Are you sure the MSresellers are not just trying for some extra commission, it just doesn;t sound right/legal to me.
    Yes, this only applies to Schools Agreement. Select licenses are completely separate. And yes, I'm sure they're not just trying to get more commission. It doesn't sound right, because it isn't - that's why Becta have reported them to the OFT...

13. Thanks to localzuk from:

CyberNerd (21st May 2009)

Thank Post
    With schools agreement it seems that you license per computer. If you want to license Office under it then all computers have to be licensed for Office, if your licensing Windows all computer have to be licensed to run it etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    With schools agreement it seems that you license per computer. If you want to license Office under it then all computers have to be licensed for Office, if your licensing Windows all computer have to be licensed to run it etc.
    Well you have to license all machines with the Desktop Schools license, which includes Windows upgrade, Office, windows CAL and exchange CAL. So in effect while you are licensing office for all machines, you would have to anyway!

Should any suppliers be listing office *seprately" on schools agreement then this is totally wrong (one well known supplier screwed up my schools agreement in this way and it took nearly the year to sort out).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Well you have to license all machines with the Desktop Schools license, which includes Windows upgrade, Office, windows CAL and exchange CAL. So in effect while you are licensing office for all machines, you would have to anyway!

Should any suppliers be listing office *seprately" on schools agreement then this is totally wrong (one well known supplier screwed up my schools agreement in this way and it took nearly the year to sort out).
    They can list it separately- it works out cheaper for us to split them. Rather than the bundle. Done it this way for the last 2 years. It is around £500 difference for 300 machines for us

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post

You can license each component on there own, or opt for the desktop pack (which includes the cals, office and windows). Both are valid options as far as I'm aware

Thank Post
    They can list it separately- it works out cheaper for us to split them. Rather than the bundle. Done it this way for the last 2 years. It is around £500 difference for 300 machines for us
    Then whats the point of the Desktop Schools bundle? I assume it's the minimum amount of products you need to participate in the scheme.

From SA documentation "Microsoft provides the following “Desktop” packages, which offer a discounted price over the cost of licensing the products individually."

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast