+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, file missing or corrupt after WDS deployment in Technical; We have created an image for a dell USFF 760 pc. The image came down ok. When the pc came ...

Thank Post

file missing or corrupt after WDS deployment

We have created an image for a dell USFF 760 pc.
    The image came down ok. When the pc came to startup is sais windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll
    please reinstall re-install a copy of the above file.

This is a fresh install of win xp. NON oem.
    Its not a hdd issue, cos i tried another one.

I have also tried replacing the hal.dll, ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlpa.exe on the base image.

Any help much appreciated.

DG

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Are you trying to use the image on different hardware? The HAL generally throws up errors if the hardware is different, or if you were using the same system but with a single core CPU and then a dual core CPU.

You could trying performing a Windows repair, then creating a secondary image from this. It's possible large OEMs may use slightly varying components, despite the name/model being identical.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Are you trying to use the image on different hardware? The HAL generally throws up errors if the hardware is different, or if you were using the same system but with a single core CPU and then a dual core CPU.

You could trying performing a Windows repair, then creating a secondary image from this. It's possible large OEMs may use slightly varying components, despite the name/model being identical.
    the hardware is identical
    dell usff pc 760

Multi cpu

We think it may now be caused by a hidden partition dell use.

Dan

Thank Post
    This error can be caused by a number of things after WDS.... but it is always hardware related. You are correct in assuming it is a hidden partition. I assume you, like me, always delete all the partitions before installing a WDS image? If you then install an image that had a seperate parition the boot.ini file will point to an incorrect partition and stupidly the Hal.dll error is the one that shows. All you need to do is rebuild the boot table. If you have a number of machines I advise you to either rebuild the boot table and resend the image to the server, or open up the image and put the correct boot.ini file i nthe root of your system drive.

To rebuild: Boot to your windows disk, press R for recovery console, type in bootcfg /rebuild, agree to replace, Identifier "Windows XP Professional" and then leave the options blank after. Beware this can often leave traces when loading windows so edit your boot.ini once in Windows and remove the old line.

That should do it

5. 3 Thanks to Bobo:

adamchapman (3rd August 2009), dirtydog (6th November 2009), speckytecky (7th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    This error can be caused by a number of things after WDS.... but it is always hardware related. You are correct in assuming it is a hidden partition. I assume you, like me, always delete all the partitions before installing a WDS image? If you then install an image that had a seperate parition the boot.ini file will point to an incorrect partition and stupidly the Hal.dll error is the one that shows. All you need to do is rebuild the boot table. If you have a number of machines I advise you to either rebuild the boot table and resend the image to the server, or open up the image and put the correct boot.ini file i nthe root of your system drive.

To rebuild: Boot to your windows disk, press R for recovery console, type in bootcfg /rebuild, agree to replace, Identifier "Windows XP Professional" and then leave the options blank after. Beware this can often leave traces when loading windows so edit your boot.ini once in Windows and remove the old line.

That should do it
    legend - fixed my problem

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread