+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Windows Thread, Printer polling software? in Technical; Does anyone know of free software which can poll printers and grab info such as remaining ink/toner, page counts etc? ...
  1. #1
    dgsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Merseyside, England
    Posts
    1,105
    Thank Post
    118
    Thanked 90 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    36

    Printer polling software?

    Does anyone know of free software which can poll printers and grab info such as remaining ink/toner, page counts etc? I know spiceworks does this to an extent, however it is rather slow and we only want the printer polling functionality.

    Simply, we're just looking for a way to easily overview our printers in 1 area and see from a glance which consumables we need to make sure we have!

    I appreciate all printers are different and we can't expect it from all of them, however most of our printers are pretty standard (mainstream modern HP and Brother lines) so hopefully we should be at an advantage there.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,157
    Thank Post
    116
    Thanked 529 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    124
    if they're SNMP enabled then you can use that to monitor them.

    If not, what I've done in the past is write a script to grab the web status page and parse out the info from that.

  3. #3

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Most larger networked printers have a web interface with useful information. Create your own favourites list with the IPs of your printers.

  4. #4
    dgsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Merseyside, England
    Posts
    1,105
    Thank Post
    118
    Thanked 90 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    if they're SNMP enabled then you can use that to monitor them.

    If not, what I've done in the past is write a script to grab the web status page and parse out the info from that.
    Any particular software you can suggest that doesn't come bundled with unncessary additions? PHPhp seems interesting but quotes it only works with HP printers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Most larger networked printers have a web interface with useful information. Create your own favourites list with the IPs of your printers.
    That is what I have used for a long time, but it is still eaiser and quicker to see an overview (especially when you have quite alot of printers)!

  5. #5

    SpuffMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,240
    Thank Post
    55
    Thanked 278 Times in 186 Posts
    Rep Power
    134
    HPs JetAdmin will pull data from lots of printers.

  6. #6

    Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fylde, Lancs, UK.
    Posts
    11,804
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 583 Times in 504 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    224
    Yes, I have the WebJetAdmin installed on my PC. It's a bit heavy weight but it does the job.

    If you have a nagios install, you can use the 'check_printer' command to check up on network printers that supprt SNNP.

    Monitoring Network Printers

    You may want to grab an 'improved' check printer script from nagios exchange though.

    MonitoringExchange: check_printer - All in one printer check suitable for most devices

  7. #7

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,653
    Thank Post
    1,258
    Thanked 781 Times in 678 Posts
    Rep Power
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    Any particular software you can suggest that doesn't come bundled with unncessary additions?
    On Linux, SNMPTools, i.e. snmpwalk / snmpget, e.g.:

    snmpget -v 2c -c public 10.0.0.166 hrPrinterStatus.1

    gives you the status of a printer at IP address 10.0.0.166. snmpwalk lets you see every SNMP variable returned by the printer, e.g.:

    snmpwalk -v 2c -c public 10.0.0.166

    --
    David Hicks

  8. #8
    dgsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Merseyside, England
    Posts
    1,105
    Thank Post
    118
    Thanked 90 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    HPs JetAdmin will pull data from lots of printers.
    We have other printers besides HP. For instance, phphp says it only does hp printers similarly to HP's own JetAdmin, however ideally something that can do our brothers too (maybe konicas, but I don't hold a great deal of hope)

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Yes, I have the WebJetAdmin installed on my PC. It's a bit heavy weight but it does the job.

    If you have a nagios install, you can use the 'check_printer' command to check up on network printers that supprt SNNP.

    Monitoring Network Printers

    You may want to grab an 'improved' check printer script from nagios exchange though.

    MonitoringExchange: check_printer - All in one printer check suitable for most devices
    Don't particularly want or need nagios, nor to install it just to get the printer consumable info

    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    On Linux, SNMPTools, i.e. snmpwalk / snmpget, e.g.:

    snmpget -v 2c -c public 10.0.0.166 hrPrinterStatus.1

    gives you the status of a printer at IP address 10.0.0.166. snmpwalk lets you see every SNMP variable returned by the printer, e.g.:

    snmpwalk -v 2c -c public 10.0.0.166

    --
    David Hicks
    Ideally, something that can be ran in a windows exe or a web browser.

    My hope was that there would be a simple (or at least, easy to use) script/program to input the ip addresses of our printers and that does it's best to grab just some basic info, including toner/ink levels. Am I living in cloud coo-koo land?

  9. #9
    User3204's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    769
    Thank Post
    55
    Thanked 66 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    34
    We use the Brother BrAdmin tool to watch this, as most of the printers/mfc we have are brothers, and the Okis will send some information back to it too. It comes with any Brother printer that is networked, and I think it is downloadable from their site too.

    It even does a scan of the network for new printers, we get all the information that displays on the LED screens on the printers, and the page count.

    It even works with the older HP 4050/4100 printers we have.

  10. #10

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,653
    Thank Post
    1,258
    Thanked 781 Times in 678 Posts
    Rep Power
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    Ideally, something that can be ran in a windows exe
    Try Python.

    or a web browser.
    What, SNMP from JavaScript? Not sure how practical that is.

    --
    David Hicks

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,529
    Thank Post
    301
    Thanked 304 Times in 263 Posts
    Rep Power
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    We have other printers besides HP. For instance, phphp says it only does hp printers similarly to HP's own JetAdmin, however ideally something that can do our brothers too (maybe konicas, but I don't hold a great deal of hope)



    Don't particularly want or need nagios, nor to install it just to get the printer consumable info



    Ideally, something that can be ran in a windows exe or a web browser.

    My hope was that there would be a simple (or at least, easy to use) script/program to input the ip addresses of our printers and that does it's best to grab just some basic info, including toner/ink levels. Am I living in cloud coo-koo land?
    I've just received a demo Konica Minolta 5650EN which was dropped off by a Konica Minolta rep. He had a handy program that ran from a usb stick that scanned the network for all network printers and grabbed their total print count and consumable status.

    He mentioned that the basic version he was running was about £300, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. I suspect it was just a pretty and easy to use interface for grabbing the SNMP data that could also produce reports for you. If you want to know what it was called I can drop him an email and ask for some more details?

  12. #12

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,653
    Thank Post
    1,258
    Thanked 781 Times in 678 Posts
    Rep Power
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    something that can be ran in a windows exe
    snmpget for Windows.

    --
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Printer Managment Software
    By Admiral208 in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 17th September 2008, 07:41 AM
  2. Network Printer Management Software
    By western in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12th June 2008, 01:52 PM
  3. Printer Control Software Needed
    By Grommit in forum Windows
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 22nd May 2008, 07:28 PM
  4. HP Printer software popup on logon
    By netadmin in forum Windows
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2nd September 2007, 12:34 PM
  5. Oki Printer Software
    By Simcfc73 in forum Hardware
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30th June 2006, 07:12 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •