Windows Thread, WSUS Not Working on Some Stone Machines in Technical; We have some Stone machines here that have been rebuilt - around half of them are not updating using WSUS ...
12th May 2009, 01:15 PM #1
WSUS Not Working on Some Stone Machines
We have some Stone machines here that have been rebuilt - around half of them are not updating using WSUS. It's really strange as the other half are.
We are having to reinstall the Windows Update Agent manually on the machines which are not working. This has the effect of fixing them and they then get their updates.
However, can anyone advise on why this would be happening? All of the machines were RIS built so there should be no issues and they were all built on the same day.
IDG Tech News
12th May 2009, 01:17 PM #2
I take it that only you/techs have admin rights on the pc?
What firewall do you have also as I have found some issues with WUA updates delivered from the net before WSUS gets in there.
12th May 2009, 01:20 PM #3
Originally Posted by ZeroHour
I've made sure the firewall is off across the network via GPO to test the machines.
LIke I say - installing the Windows Update Agent manually on the troublesome computers has worked and the two machines I tested this on are now showing 100% updated.
12th May 2009, 01:20 PM #4
Have you tried:
on the machines from the cmd prompt instead of re-install? Also have you checked the C:\windows\WindowsUpdate.log - might give you some insight
12th May 2009, 01:24 PM #5
Yes - I run that command but it was giving me an error in the Event Viewer - like the one shown below:
Originally Posted by dwhyte85
DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service wuauserv with arguments "" in order to run the server:
12th May 2009, 01:30 PM #6
Try this in a bat file and then run the bat file on the client pc.
reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Win dowsUpdate /v AccountDomainSid /f
reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Win dowsUpdate /v PingID /f
reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Win dowsUpdate /v SusClientId /f
@echo Triggering detection after resetting WSUS client identity
net stop wuauserv
net start wuauserv
wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
12th May 2009, 01:32 PM #7
You would need the service to be running, go to services.msc from run and check if 'Automatic Updates' is set to enabled and running; i don't know why it'd stop though
12th May 2009, 01:33 PM #8
If that does not work download the clientdiag.exe and try running that and it might give you a clue whats wrong.
12th May 2009, 01:36 PM #9
Originally Posted by garethedmondson
I was actually meaning external net firewall/proxy rather then local pc firewalls as allows are normally in already for WUA.
12th May 2009, 01:47 PM #10
We had this problem on a few machines and deleted the following registry entry
Rebooted the PC and 99% of them connected within 24 hours.
12th May 2009, 01:53 PM #11
Originally Posted by alan-d
That's exactly what I do after reimaging machines using RIS\WDS Legacy mode. Apparently sysprep is supposed to reset this value as it will be set for the original machine you imaged from, but experience tells me that this often does not happen. A little script to delete this entry does the job once the imaging process finishes. Once you reboot again the entry is recreated with the correct settings.
By adamf in forum Windows
Last Post: 21st February 2008, 09:50 AM
By mullet_man in forum Scripts
Last Post: 9th August 2007, 12:48 PM
By Kyle in forum MIS Systems
Last Post: 14th June 2007, 02:47 PM
Last Post: 8th June 2007, 10:32 PM
By Dos_Box in forum Windows
Last Post: 8th November 2006, 10:57 AM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)