+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Can printer script be applied to a Computer in Group Policy? in Technical; Hi guys, I'm sure this is simple. I have a .vbs script that basically just sets the default printer to ...

Thank Post

Can printer script be applied to a Computer in Group Policy?

Hi guys,

I'm sure this is simple.

I have a .vbs script that basically just sets the default printer to be "ITSuiteLaser". I want it to run on all computers in the Devices/ITSuite OU so that then whenever anybody logs onto the computers in the IT Suite, regardless of their username (y1 -y6, teacher) the default printer is the Laser in the IT Suite.

I have created a new GPO called 'Default Printer' which is applied to the IT Suite OU. In it the only setting is a logon script - itsuiteprinter.vbs. This policy is supposed to apply to both IT Suite OU and the ITSuitePCs group. Secuirty settings seem fine (apply group policy and read are both ticked), but it doesn't run!

I have tried using the GPMC modelling tool, and it shows that the policies applied are - Default Domain Policy and 'Default Printer'.

So why is it not running?

I have tried gpupdate /force and rebooted the PC but it makes no difference..

Please help!

Thanks

Re: Can printer script be applied to a Computer in Group Policy?

You need to enable loopback processing so that user GPO settings can be applied to computer OUs.

Look under

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Group Policy/User Group Policy loopback processing mode

Enable and set to merge.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Loopback can be tempramental tho' - others here have had no problems, but i've had loads. Better IMHO to do it via scripting instead.

Thank Post

Thanks

If others like me don't have a clue what loopback is - have a look here:

http://grouppolicy.editme.com/Loopback

Thanks again!
    Cm786

PS Does this also have to be enabled when assigning software to a OU of computers too or only for scripts?

It is for any User based setting and you need to apply to a machine OU

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts

Is there another group policy at the domain level which is taking precedence before the ITsuite OU and have you checked the order in which these have been applied to the actual ITsuite OU. Not trying to teach granny to suck eggs but just tryin to help. Loopbacks tend to be last resort so i would stay clear if you can help it as it will come and bite yer on the ar-e when you least expect it OK

Thank Post

Why do people use loopback processing for logon scripts where there's the "run these programs at logon" option in computer management->admin templates -> system -> logon?

Thank Post

Re: Can printer script be applied to a Computer in Group Pol

Quote Originally Posted by bossman
    Is there another group policy at the domain level which is taking precedence before the ITsuite OU and have you checked the order in which these have been applied to the actual ITsuite OU. Not trying to teach granny to suck eggs but just tryin to help. Loopbacks tend to be last resort so i would stay clear if you can help it as it will come and bite yer on the ar-e when you least expect it OK
    I still need to learn to suck eggs! :P Any help is appreciated mate!

I'm not at the school today, but as far as I remember the order of precdence for GPOs that affect the ITsuite OU are:

Default Domain Policy,
    Default Printer

Thats it.

Other policies such as Student LockDown, Proxy and Folder redirection are appliced to the Students OU.

Thank Post

Have a look in the scripts section for printer logon scripts that will add printers according to hostnames or what OU they are in. It's alot easier in the long run. Its also useful to have that bit of code to run in a startup script as well to get the printer drivers installed as a normal user wont be able to if an admin hasnt logged onto that machine etc.

Thank Post

After reading another thread on here about Microsoft Visualisation Server, I have downloaded it at home and setup two virtual PCs - one Server and one client. Its abit slow and lots of pagefile activity, but I can now try these suggestions at home!

Looking at the printer script now.

Thanks everyone!

Thank Post

Back at the school today, and even with loopback enabled it still didn't work.

I have just used Ric_'s excellent printer script and I have now achieved what I want so thanks!

However, I was wondering, if the PC is not called "ITSUITE" would it be possible to set the local printer using the USB001 port as the default instead?

This is becasue in classes we have loads of different printers, so setting the one using the USB001 port to default would be great, then when they are in the IT Suite and login the defult printer becomes the ITSuite laser.

As a side thing - I was at my local college checking something out recenlty and when a student/staff member logged in, a windows ballon tip appeared saying "You are connected to ****** Printer" and then disapeared. Thought that was pretty cool. It just makes it clear to the user, which printer they are able to print from. Is their an easy way to achieve this?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts

Yup just use the msgbox function I use it to say default printer is .....

Dim MyVar

MyVar = MsgBox ("Hello World!", 0, "MsgBox Example")

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

A WSH example with a timeout:

Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    oShell.Popup "You are connected to Room IT1 Laser Printer", 5, "Information"

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts

Using WSH just makes a msgbox appear and having the MyVar seems a waste to me because its not like you are returning anything into the variable ie if there was a yes , no and a cancel button then fair enough since you would need to check whether the end user pressed yes, no or cancel by using vbYes, vbNo or vbCancel ( which also has its numerical representations which Im not sure of off the top of my head )

ie

Dim MyResult

MyResult = MsgBox("Are you sure you want to quit?", 0, "End Program!")

If MyResult = vbYes Then
    End
    Else
    EndIf

or something along those lines ( Not sure if that works in vbscript but you get the point )

Correct me if I am wrong ?

So from that I would say you could just do something like so :

MsgBox "Text you want here", 0,"Title for the msgbox"

That way you are not using a variable when you dont need it, you still get the info across to the user and you dont need to create an object to make it happen ( less coding ).

Just as effective ( I am sure it probably has its down sides and it would be nice to know what they are if there are any at all

I found an OCX on pscode.com that said it could be used in vbscript as well as visual basic, whether thats the case or not I dont know.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

This is becasue in classes we have loads of different printers, so setting the one using the USB001 port to default would be great, then when they are in the IT Suite and login the defult printer becomes the ITSuite laser.
    Yes just do:

Code:
    Printer.SetDefaultPrinter "HP 1120C"
    In the relevant case statement.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast