+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, AD question on Exchange server. in Technical; I have read that it is not good practice to have Exchnage installed on a DC. We have this set ...
    Thank Post

AD question on Exchange server.

I have read that it is not good practice to have Exchnage installed on a DC. We have this set up but it was only because we had no alternative. I am new to exchange and have been looking around today because our NM can't be arsed because the LEA set it all up but now there is no support.

This may be a silly wquestion to for me i have very little DC/AD knowledge. If i go to a user on the Exchange box AD i can see ther email tab and view the details. If i go to the same use on the other nonexchange DC i see no email tab for the user.

Now i mainly use 2003 admin pak install of AD on my XP box to administer AD but i do not get the email tab on that either. Is this correct or do i need to install something else on my XP box to be able to view the email tabs offs user in AD?

Sorry if this is a daft question.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: AD question on Exchange server.

You see the Mail tab because Exchange is installed on the DC. If you want to see it on another server or on a workstation with the adminpak installed, you need to install the Exchange system manager on that PC or server.

Thank Post

Just out of interest, is this a download form MS or is it a matter of installing it form the Exchange CD?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It's on the Exchange CD. I don't remember the exact procedure but it goes something like this: Put CD in drive, run the installation routine. When it comes to the installation type screen, choose Custom and make sure that Exchange System Manager is selected. By default, it also chooses Exchange 5.5 manager when you do this as well so if you're not using 5.5, deselect that.

The only thing is that you need to make sure IIS is installed on the server/workstation before you install it. Once it's installed, you can disable it right away. However it insists on having it on there before you put it on. Daft really.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread