+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Need script to associate WMP to open DVD's in Technical; I am trying to change from WinDVD to K-Lite Codec Pack for the viewing of DVD's by teachers, as we ...

Thank Post

Need script to associate WMP to open DVD's

I am trying to change from WinDVD to K-Lite Codec Pack for the viewing of DVD's by teachers, as we cannot afford WinDVD (and when there is a free alternative why pay)

K-Lite installs fine, no problems there.
    WinDVD doesnt really remove properly - no easy silent uninstall. Followed some instructions on creating a .iss file to uninstall but it wouldnt work properly. So I have taken the very basic step to just delete all the icons and the program folder via a script. Again, works fine.

But what happens is, explorer now doesnt know what to use to play a DVD, so when you double click the drive or right click and play, you get the file association window. Setting it to WMP works fine, but leaving it like this is just going to cause lots of helpdesk calls from people who panic and get confused as soon as they see that window.

So I need a script to associate a DVD with WMP. Ive looked at the file association list (by typing assoc at the command line) but they are all just literally file extensions - does explorer simply open the .ifo file and pass it to the associated program? If so, it is currently set to .ifo=WinDVD.playback
    But I dont know what to change that to so WMP will open it. Most other audio/video extensions have something like - .m4v=KLCP.WMP.m4v
    I assume KLCP refers to the codec pack, and obviously WMP refers to WMP. If I try and change the .ifo one to .ifo=KLCP.WMP.ifo, the file extension literally becomes the whole part after the equals sign..which is odd

Anyone got any ideas where to go from here? I might be totally barking up the wrong tree and there is a much easier way, so if anyone knows it, please share

Thank Post
    How are you deploying k-lite? If I recall, if you run the setup with -makeunattended you can specify during the installer to associate media player classic with DVD files. You then simply run the silent installer script it generates.

I'd personally do this as WMP doesnt always play some DVDs whereas MPC will.

Thank Post
    Yeah thats what Im doing, and although I did it a few months back Im sure I set it to associate!
    Which makes it a bit strange, unless WinDVD is overriding it all the time and inserting itself as the default

Uninstalling WinDVD and then deploying KLite would probably work, but I cant risk that - would potentially leave machines for a day without any DVD software - helpdesk nigthmare again.
    Suppose I could try a script that does both at once though...will have a go

Edit - oh just re-read - think I just told it to associate with WMP...if thats even an option. Perhaps I just set it to leave it as it is...which could be the cause of the problem

Thank Post
    Yup, looks like I need to recreate the unattended script

Thank Post
    OK it still wouldnt associate, even when I redid the unattended install and made sure MPC was supposed to be the default for everything.

But I did manage to sort it - in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DVD\shell\play\command there is a key to detirmine the default and this is what WinDVD et all sets when its installed.
    So a quick registry import script pointing it to MPC and it all works fine

6. Thanks to sidewinder from:

Oops_my_bad (6th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Install VLC Media Player

then Install KLite using the following switches:

klcodec417f.exe /verysilent /norestart /LoadInf="klcpf.ini"

In the klcpf.ini have the following:

[Setup]
    Group=K-Lite Codec Pack
    NoIcons=1
    Components=player\mpclassic, video\xvid\ffdshow, video\divx\ffdshow, video\h264\ffdshow, video\vp6, video\vp7, video\mpeg2\cyberlink, video\ffdshow\mpeg4, video\ffdshow\h263, video\ffdshow\flv, video\ffdshow\mpegavi, video\ffdshow\huffyuv, video\ffdshow\qt, video\ffdshow\indeo, video\ffdshow\other1, video\ffdshow\other2, video\ffdshow\other3, video\ffdshow\other4, audio\mp3\ffdshow, audio\ac3\ac3filter, audio\mpeg\ffdshow, audio\vorbis\corevorbis, audio\aac\ffdshow, audio\ffdshow\qt, audio\ffdshow\law, audio\ffdshow\other, audio\ffdshow\imaadpcm, audiofile\musepack, audiofile\wavpack, audiofile\flac, audiofile\ape, audiofile\dcbass\aac, audiofile\dcbass\alac, audiofile\dcbass\tta, audiofile\ac3file, audiofile\amr, sourcefilter\avi\gabest, sourcefilter\mp4\haali, sourcefilter\3gp\haali, sourcefilter\mov\gabest, sourcefilter\matroska\gabest, sourcefilter\ogg\haali, sourcefilter\flv, sourcefilter\mpeg\haali_ts, sourcefilter\cdxa, subtitles\vsfilter\239, other\haalirenderer, videovfw\ffdshow, videovfw\xvid, videovfw\divx, videovfw\yv12, audioacm\mp3lame, audioacm\ac3acm, tools\codectweaktool, tools\mediainfo, tools\gspot, tools\vobsubstrip, tools\graphedit, tools\haalimuxer, misc\brokencodecs, misc\brokenfilters
    Tasks=fa\mpc, fa\video\avi, fa\video\mpeg, fa\video\wmv, fa\video\asf, fa\video\ogm, fa\video\mkv, fa\video\mp4, fa\video\hdmov, fa\video\flv, fa\video\ts, mpc_render\vmr9, speaker\20, cyberlink_hwa, boostac3volume

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread