+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, policy for folder re direction randomly doesnt apply in Technical; Hi were having a strange problem in our school where by randomly when a pupil logs on, some of the ...

Thank Post

policy for folder re direction randomly doesnt apply

Hi

were having a strange problem in our school where by randomly when a pupil logs on, some of the policy settings arent applied, occasionally they get active desktop but more often it simple refuses access to the redirected my docs.

At first we thought it was our load balancing setup and one of the profiles was a little goofed, so we turned off the load balancing and now all profiles use the same template and settings. Yet still we have the random log ons which seem to bypass some of the policy.

anyone got any ideas where to start?

were running XP sp3 clients on server2k3.

and input more than welcome

thanks

Dave

Thank Post
    Could be that policies are failing to pull down on a particular machine, i'd check eventvwr and see where the policies are throwing errors - could be that particular policy.

We had a similar problem which was to do with kerberos.

3. Thanks to rh91uk from:

DaveT (5th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks Richard

Ill give that a try to see if it gives any clues

Dave

Thank Post
    Check to see if the user logging on already has a profile on the local machine. If it does you need to run something like delprof.exe to purge the profiles from a machine. This is presuming you aren't using roaming profiles.

6. Thanks to jsnetman from:

DaveT (5th May 2009)

Thank Post
    - jsnetman - Thanks for the advice, this was one of the only things i could think of, having a freshly created profile doesnt seem to be relevant to this issue.

- Further investigation into the clients Event Viewer the only problematic thing i can find is the following entry:-

Windows has detected that offline caching is enabled on the roaming profile share - to avoid potential profile corruption, offline caching must be disabled on shares where roaming user profiles are stored.

Now this is a tad confusing as we only have 2 roaming profiles in school, these are used by staff who live on site (boarding house masters). all other staff including ourselves have mandatory profiles.

Offline files was always a pain for us, so we disabled it on our computer rooms (which this is). so im not really sure what this message is trying to tell us.

has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

Thank Post
    Further Infomation

Our mandatory pupil profile was created via a roaming profile in order to get rit of first run in office etc, it looks as though this has also made the default mydocs location a network location.

found the following in event viewer

Successfully redirected folder My Documents. The folder was redirected from <\\x-server\data\pupils_data\x-USER> to <\\x-server\data\pupils_data\user>.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.

Where x-user is the default location and user is the logon name being used when the problem occured.

Now all i can think is that because the original location for my docs isnt C:\my documents, there are asumptions made that the user is using a roaming profile.

does this make sence to anybody

Thanks in advance

Dave

Thank Post
    Sounds like a problem I have a few months ago the users mandatory profile was failing due to permistion problem. I remade the profile from a xp client and uploaded it to the sever giving it everyone permisstion using the copy to utility in system properties - advanced - User profiles and then changing the file extention to .man and it worked perfectly

10. Thanks to alextreadwell from:

DaveT (5th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks Alex.

We have been considering re making the profile, we will follow your instructions when we do.

Thanks

Dave

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread