+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Windows Firewall on networked PCs? in Technical; Is there really a lot of point in having Windows Firewall enabled on workstations in the school network bearing in ...

Thank Post

Windows Firewall on networked PCs?

Is there really a lot of point in having Windows Firewall enabled on workstations in the school network bearing in mind the net connection is firewalled and proxied by us and the county?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only reason i would use it is for laptops that are used on a home network connection.

Thank Post
    Agree with FN-GM
    Workstations have firewall turned off - teacher laptops automatically get firewalled when not connected to our network.

Thank Post
    Our's have it turned off, and when off the network is turns it's self on and puts in various rules for what we need access to.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have it enabled for one reason - to prevent the spread of viruses. Why disable it? Shouldn't it be on by default, with exceptions. ie. a secure base to work on.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Firewall is turned off on all workstations, laptops have it turned off when not on the network.

But i do agree with Localzuk, If you have it turned on and just configure the exceptions via GPO it cant do more harm than good.

Thank Post
    We have it turned on on all stations and then configure the ports we require, your perimeter firewall is useless if someone brings an infected laptop or USB drive in and plugs it into your network. I've never had any issues with the windows firewall, it's free and doesn't really have any overhead so why not use it it's just another layer of defense available to you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Firewall is turned off on all workstations, laptops have it turned off when not on the network.

But i do agree with Localzuk, If you have it turned on and just configure the exceptions via GPO it cant do more harm than good.
    Turned off when not on the network? Doesn't that mean that when they plug in to their own, poorly protected, home network they end up with a laptop open to the elements??

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Turned off when not on the network? Doesn't that mean that when they plug in to their own, poorly protected, home network they end up with a laptop open to the elements??
    Sorry i probably should of re-worded that, when the staff take the laptops home they have to logon locally and the firewall is turned on and i just stop them via the local group policy turning it off.

Thank Post
    The reason I ask is that we get sporadic problems with firewalls suddenly losing the exception for the rmsmartcache client ident server which means workstation cannot access the net. I have to go around and add the exception. It occurs to me that the firewall is doing nothing of any use on a workstation sat behind adequate protection on the network.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nozza View Post
    The reason I ask is that we get sporadic problems with firewalls suddenly losing the exception for the rmsmartcache client ident server which means workstation cannot access the net. I have to go around and add the exception. It occurs to me that the firewall is doing nothing of any use on a workstation sat behind adequate protection on the network.
    You mentioned a firewalled and filtered internet connection, but what about attack/risk from inside the school?

Thank Post
    Hi. Do you manage the exception via Group Policy? This should be pretty reliable . . . .

And for info, we have all firewalls up all the time, to protect clients from each other.

Thank Post
    @ Nozza

As stated above

your perimeter firewall is useless if someone brings an infected laptop or USB drive in and plugs it into your network

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You shouldn't be going around to any machines, it can and should be done via group policy. Adding a rule is a single line of text, and takes a few seconds.

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread