+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Installing Sherston Software the easy way in Technical; We have quite a few software titles from sherston and even with the msi i created to install the software ...

Thank Post

Installing Sherston Software the easy way

We have quite a few software titles from sherston and even with the msi i created to install the software i would get issues with the software not installing properly or it would stop other software titles installing via install shield.

what i did to stop these problems was to create a share on one of the servers that staff and pupils can access and copy the sherston application folder from a local pc into this share. Once it has finished copying the data over i go to the application folder and open the sherston.ini and i just edit the following two lines under [PC].

Savepath= change this to the shared folder you want to have the programs saves eg \\Server\apps\Sherston\Saves\Bamboozled\saves

Datapath= Change this the the shared folder you have the program exe located in eg \\Server\Sherston\Bamboozled\appdata

Then i just placed the exe shortcut on the desktop.

the following software titles have been tested and i have not had any problems so far.

Bamboozled
    Bucket & Spade
    Crystal Rain Forest V2
    Gomez Returns
    Learning about Religion
    On the Ball - spelling skills
    The Email Detectives
    The Web Detectives
    The Wizards Apprentice
    Table Aliens

2. Thanks to JOrdan01070 from:

button_ripple (28th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Alternatively, install them all on a new image before deploying. Can save a lot of time!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    Alternatively stick them straight in the bin as they are complete and utter rubbish. How they claim they educate children is laughable.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Alternatively stick them straight in the bin as they are complete and utter rubbish. How they claim they educate children is laughable.
    A person who does not mince their words
    lols

Richard

Jon
    Thank Post
    It has been my experience that most, if not all, Sherston Software comes with a network install option. I have always used this and installed to a network share, it seems to work very well for me.

you can specify the paths to use for save data etc. at the time of installation.

For some of the older titles Sherston do/did supply a seperate netwok installation disc

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I was just thinking the best place to install this software is up the programmers ar$e

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I was just thinking the best place to install this software is up the programmers ar$e
    Amen to that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Got so fed up with Sherston (but couldn't bin the software as it was used so much) that we just forked out to have all their titles added to our Knowledgebox, now all their titles run via web browser

Thank Post
    IMHO The sherston software is very good for primary use - the BBC Science Simulations and the email / web detectives especially useful for primaries, where actual email access may not be provided. Mangodata is superb for teaching databases and can be used in secondaries as well.

The other titles, while not suitable as the primary tool for teaching say control and monitoring, provide an excellent support and consolidation in addition to other teaching.

I've also found the company to be very good to deal with - it's no hassle to upgrade a license (just pay the difference), good licensing schemes and helpful telephone operators.

Thought I'd give an alternate viewpoint from the unsubstantiated whines above.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kesomir View Post
    unsubstantiated whines above.
    Fair enough put your point of view across but you have no idea what issues we have with the software.

Jeez when did everyone get so touchy?

Jon
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Fair enough put your point of view across but you have no idea what issues we have with the software.

By following the network installation as I have indicated above...I have had no problems with any of the Sherston Titles, in fact I really rather like them!!

I really can't see what problems there can be, perhaps you have not installed it correctly.

Could you maybe outline some of the problems you have experienced?

Thank Post

lol irony.

That comment was aimed more at mattx's post than yours, apologies for not making that clear, but you hit it on the head. I don't know what the issues are because neither of the posts substantiate them.

deployment?

Your post clearly mentions the popularity of the software so I assume in your case it's not a user issue, and deployment seems the likey culprit if a knowledgebox install fixes your issue(s).

It'd be useful to know what probs you experienced as suggested solutions could then be offered.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok fair enough, I will address your points in turn

1:
    lol irony.
    No. No it wasnt.

2:
    That comment was aimed more at mattx's post than yours, apologies for not making that clear, but you hit it on the head. I don't know what the issues are because neither of the posts substantiate them.
    Yes you are quite correct and I didn't expand on my blanket comment and to disparage something without explanation is a poor way to discuss things.
    I didn't happen to think that your comments were directed to me in particular but I am not barred from commenting on statements made toward anyone. To call opinions (substantiated or not) 'whinges' is condescending and uncalled for.

3:
    Your post clearly mentions the popularity of the software so I assume in your case it's not a user issue, and deployment seems the likey culprit if a knowledgebox install fixes your issue(s).
    Yes you are correct, it is not a user issue or content issue but a deployment issue. Since the titles have been available via web browser rather than local installs, everyone had been a lot happier.

4:
    It'd be useful to know what probs you experienced as suggested solutions could then be offered.
    My main issue is with the instructions for a "Network Install".
    I am working from instructions from a recent title, but perhaps they have changed and I am unware.

So the first thing you do is use a machine to perform an install to a network share, ok so far so good. The next thing you do is to move to another machine and...install from the network share...
    Right so what has the network installer done? Copied the files to a network share. Great, well I could have done that myself and run the installer on each machine over the network. To me a network installer does not mean I have to go to each machine to install.

Compare this to when I recently installed Yenka. Ran the network msi to install to network share, then deployed the msi from network share via GPO, job done. Got CC3? Well grab the msi which installs to package build area and creates the file structure, allocate, job done.

Jon
    Thank Post

So the first thing you do is use a machine to perform an install to a network share, ok so far so good. The next thing you do is to move to another machine and...install from the network share...
    Right so what has the network installer done? Copied the files to a network share. Great, well I could have done that myself and run the installer on each machine over the network. To me a network installer does not mean I have to go to each machine to install.
    I don't do a local install...For me the software runs quite happily from the network installation. I suppose if your network is slow/lots of traffic then this might not be your best option. It works very well for me however.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I don't do a local install...For me the software runs quite happily from the network installation. I suppose if your network is slow/lots of traffic then this might not be your best option. It works very well for me however.
    Interesting, the instructions I have read have always instructed me to install locally on each machine from the network install.
    So, do you just dish out a shortcut to the sever share program?

Hmm, in regards to the network, we are running the software over the network from the Knowledgebox without problems.
    If you haven't seen this in action its actually quite nice, you get a nice child friendly web front end where you select the software you want to use.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 30th April 2009 at 01:16 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast