+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, WinSuite AD in Technical; Hello all, I have started maintaining a network which is running Windows 2000 Server SP4 with WinSuite AD (Curric) and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts

Question WinSuite AD

Hello all,

I have started maintaining a network which is running Windows 2000 Server SP4 with WinSuite AD (Curric) and Windows Server 2003 SP2 (Vanilla, Admin).

Both are setup as domain controllers, however replication between the two servers just isn't happening. On the Curric server, there are more visible OUs (most likely to do with Winsuite) however these don't appear at all on the Admin server.

Now here's the weird bit. I created two new OUs (from the Admin server), Curriculum and Staff and these also appear on the Curric server (so clearly replication should be working). I then proceeded to set policies (again, from the Admin server) but the policies I set haven't replicated and neither has Sysvol. I added a few new scripts and BGInfo.

I've installed the 2003 Support Tools, ran dcdiag and everything was successful apart from frsevent. I then installed the 2000 Support Tools, again ran dcdiag and discovered even more problems. The command window went berserk displaying a lot of errors. The network appears to be working and accessible but clearly something isn't right. I've also tried stopping and starting the File Replication Service and manually forcing a replication in Sites and Services. Nothing informative appears in the event log.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that WinSuite AD either does something to the Schema, or that infact the Schema versions do not match (Windows 2000 on v13 and Windows 2003 on v30). Unfortunately I am unable to verify the Schema version, so I don't know if there any alternative utilities that can do this for me?

According to Sites and Services, successful Replication was approximately one year ago and was created in 2006, so it must of been working and something has broken it. The plan is to create a new 2003 domain controller, migrate all roles over and re-image all machines and ditching Winsuite, but if I cannot replicate to the new server in future, this is going to create some problems.
    I suppose removing Winsuite (which I haven't done before) might solve the problem. If it's anything like Ranger then things should be straight forward. Anyone with any experience or advice as to why these replication problems are happening would be welcomed

Thank Post
    Not entirely sure about the replication, I would guess it is WinSuite doing something stupid. I wouldn't try to remove WinSuite, it is an absolute nightmare!! If I was you, get your new Domain Controller, and setup the AD from scratch (may take some time and cause annoyance, but it is easier than trying to get rid of WinSuite.

Thank Post
    Right an update -

I have verified the schema versions and they're both at version 30, so this isn't the problem. I then stopped and restarted the File Replication Service on both servers and get the following error on the Curriculum 2000 Server -

Code:
    The File Replication Service has detected that the replica set "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)" is in JRNL_WRAP_ERROR. 

Replica set name is    : "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)" 
     Replica root path is   : "c:\winnt\sysvol\domain" 
     Replica root volume is : "\\.\C:" 
     A Replica set hits JRNL_WRAP_ERROR when the record that it is trying to read from the NTFS USN journal is not found.  This can occur because of one of the following reasons. 

[1] Volume "\\.\C:" has been formatted. 
     [2] The NTFS USN journal on volume "\\.\C:" has been deleted. 
     [3] The NTFS USN journal on volume "\\.\C:" has been truncated. Chkdsk can truncate the journal if it finds corrupt entries at the end of the journal. 
     [4] File Replication Service was not running on this computer for a long time. 
     [5] File Replication Service could not keep up with the rate of Disk IO activity on "\\.\C:". 
     Setting the "Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore" registry parameter to 1 will cause the following recovery steps to be taken to automatically recover from this error state. 
     [1] At the first poll, which will occur in 5 minutes, this computer will be deleted from the replica set. If you do not want to wait 5 minutes, then run "net stop ntfrs" followed by "net start ntfrs" to restart the File Replication Service. 
     [2] At the poll following the deletion this computer will be re-added to the replica set. The re-addition will trigger a full tree sync for the replica set. 

WARNING: During the recovery process data in the replica tree may be unavailable. You should reset the registry parameter described above to 0 to prevent automatic recovery from making the data unexpectedly unavailable if this error condition occurs again. 

To change this registry parameter, run regedit. 

Click on Start, Run and type regedit. 

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. 
    Click down the key path: 
       "System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters" 
    Double click on the value name 
       "Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore" 
    and update the value. 

If the value name is not present you may add it with the New->DWORD Value function under the Edit Menu item. Type the value name exactly as shown above.
    I'm not 100% clear what this all means or how to resolve it. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank Post
    Another update, this problem is now solved! By adding the registry entry, then stopping and starting the File Replication Service, copies of policies and scripts are made within SYSVOL and the server is then deleted and re-added to the replica set.

Within about 5 minutes, all policies and scripts were synchronised with the BDC. Creating a new folder in SYSVOL now works as it should - instantly! All I have to do now is update the schema to 31 and install the new 2003 R2 Server next week. It's a big relief that the servers are now talking as they should

Interestingly, some of the random OUs created by Winsuite still don't replicate, but the new OUs and policies I have created do. Clearly Winsuite doesn't support load balancing or it needs to be installed on the BDC which I'm not going to do, as I want to get rid of it!

Thank Post

as i remeber

as far as i can remember winsuite had to be installed in the PDC, nothing else would do

Jon
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Interestingly, some of the random OUs created by Winsuite still don't replicate, but the new OUs and policies I have created do. Clearly Winsuite doesn't support load balancing or it needs to be installed on the BDC which I'm not going to do, as I want to get rid of it!
    Winsuite must be installed on the DC with the PDC Emulator FSMO role for it to function correctly.

Winsuite itself does not create OUs, so the "random OUs" you have are not a result of winsuite.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies. On further investigation, all GPOs are replicating, (including the Winsuite ones) however I'm still baffled why the few empty OUs are not. I'm not too concerned about it as a new 2003 R2 server is going in next week and the existing 2000 Curric server will be demoted as a DC and all FSMO roles transferred.

Winsuite appears to be another Ranger type software, apart from I had about half of all the policies I could normally tweak/configure. Hardly innovative at all!

Thank Post

winsuite and windows 98

the main advantage of winsuite was when using windows 98 clients with 2000 , or 2003 server, it was easier than trying to write policies for w98 clients

Thank Post
    Yes I would agree with that. It does support 95, 98 and NT which are not anywhere as configurable as 2000 or later. This is why they're probably not developing a Winsuite for Windows Vista or anything else. In a XP/2003 environment I do find it counter productive as a large chunk of policies are missing. It also doesn't support anything other than IE6, whereas all new images I deploy are using IE8. It's so much better/faster

Thank Post

Thumbs down Pah! Winsuite

I've been having various issues with winsuite, but my biggest bugbear with NDI tech is that they have not updated any of their winsuite flavours since 2005 and yet they still have the cheek to sell it. whinge whinge, moan moan.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread