+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Word 2003 issues in Technical; Hi Everyone, Not sure if this is a word issue or windows one. Basically we have office staff using word ...
    Unvalidated User
    Thank Post

Smile Word 2003 issues

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this is a word issue or windows one.

Basically we have office staff using word documents and they keep loosing the printer so they have to save what theyre doing close it down then open it again.

Any ideas on what the issue is, they swear to me it was created using word 2003 but im still not sure it wasnt done in 2000.

Cheers in advanced

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    By "losing the printer", do you mean they can't see the printer if they do "File > Print"?

I have had 2 instances of this.

1) The staff member wasn't sitting at their regular PC and so their default local printer got reset. By doing file> print (AND USING THE SCROLL BAR/DROP DOWN ARROW * if I had £1 for every time...*) the printer miraculously appeared.

2. The office staff were back on their own PC, but because they'd been using another machine, their default (local) printer was no longer the default and needed resetting. (This happens a couple of times every term )

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    By "losing the printer", do you mean they can't see the printer if they do "File > Print"?

I have had 2 instances of this.

1) The staff member wasn't sitting at their regular PC and so their default local printer got reset. By doing file> print (AND USING THE SCROLL BAR/DROP DOWN ARROW * if I had £1 for every time...*) the printer miraculously appeared.

2. The office staff were back on their own PC, but because they'd been using another machine, their default (local) printer was no longer the default and needed resetting. (This happens a couple of times every term )
    They are using the same machine, and if they go into any other program they can print, its not the machine itself loosing the printer, its word.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    Have you looked to see what's on File > Print when this happens?

EDIT

Just re-read this and it sounds dreadfully rude, sorry...

It's just that what my users say and what is actually the case frequently differ!
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 23rd April 2009 at 03:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Are these local or network printers ?

We have an applet that changes the network printer everytime they logon, and this sometimes means if they start software before it has finished loading the correct printer the software had the wrong default printer.. but I hadn't noticed it with Word.

But I'd go with the comment by Elsiegee40, and check exactly what is going on, it could just be they can't find the printer.

We used to get students complaining the printers "don't work", but it was simply the fact they were clicking the printer icon, and it was sending it to the wrong printer...

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    They are network printers.

When I go to file print the printer is not there, but it is only in word, if you close word down and open it again it is then suddenly there, and if you open any other application up it is there, and when you go the look at the installed printers it is there.

The problem is that word does not see the printer that is installed on the machine on a lot of documents unless you save what your doing, close it down then re open it.

Thank Post
    Same as User3204, I have only had this problem when you get a user open word up before all the printer scripts have finished.

Try looking at what printers are installed before you open up word to ensure that the machines are seeing the printers.

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    The printer is installed before they open word, they have been logged on all day, the it gets to 2pm and they open a word document, go to print and the printer is not there

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread