+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Windows Thread, Exchange 2010 in Technical; Originally Posted by mjs_mjs indeed - sorry, here it is... https://82.198.225.195/exchweb/bin/a...ange/&reason=0 Very good....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    Very good.

Thank Post
    So we decided to install this today and give it a test with just our mailboxes for a while. Installation went fine, transfering mailboxes went fine etc...

However... Does anyone know how to turn off (as in totally KILL) the OWA 2010 conversation view? It's down right *terrible* It only seems to go on subject lines, so over the past few years I've often just sent myself and received emails with the subject "Laptop", so it's decided that they are all part of the same conversation and dumped them together. Like wise with other emails from various users.
    This is a horrible way of doing it and it's just going to confuse the heck out of our users. Whist I can disable it on a folder by folder basis ideally I'd like to be able to set it off for everyone by default.

The default OWA theme is a little bit dull as well with a ton of white space wasted. Doesn't look anywhere near as nice out of the box as 2007 did.

On the flip side, it's lovely that it finally works in firefox/safari/chrome now. I hated having to use IE to get the nice "fat" client on 2007.

Thank Post
    >Does anyone know how to turn off (as in totally KILL) the OWA 2010 conversation view?
    Totally disabling it or killing it so to speak is not possible, as far as I know.

What you can do is change the "Arrange by" option and clear the check box of "Conversation"

Thank Post
    We are investigating this upgrade at the moment. I've used it in a test environment and it seems to work well. Just in the stages or testing co-existence with Exchange 2003.

The new OWA does seem feature rich, however I am yet to find anyone who "really" likes it!

Darren

Thank Post
    We'll be upgrading from 2003 to 2010 in the next 2 weeks or so - got a new Dell server coming to replace our old HP DL380 and will be doing a full migration to the new box. Should be fun!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john316 View Post
    We'll be upgrading from 2003 to 2010 in the next 2 weeks or so - got a new Dell server coming to replace our old HP DL380 and will be doing a full migration to the new box. Should be fun!
    Let us know how it goes and what process you follow, I will be doing this next year and its pretty much our most critical system.

Thank Post
    Quick q, which I think I know the way I'm going... but opinion would be nice:

Win2k8 (non-r2) DCs and app servers - is there any point using R2 on the Exchange box when it's built?

Cheers

Will

Thank Post
    Personally no i would just use 2008 standard/enterprise depending if i wanted to put any roles also on that server that required r2 feature eg R2 Print management services.

I would use R2 for domain controllers to upgrade to the 2008 R2 AD Schema and then possibly other servers that may also need the services of R2.

Hope this helps

Darren

9. Thanks to dblight from:

Willott (4th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks,

That was my line of thinking (with nothing else in domain on R2 not much point unless there's a significant performance/stability increase in R2).

Cheers

Will

Thank Post
    I am after the answers to a couple of questions and see what people suggest.
    I currently have 2007 installed - if I was to upgrade to 2010 would I need to:

1. Change any of my publish rules on ISA 2006?
    2. Upgrade my DC's from 2003 to 2008? Or can I just update my schema extensions in 2003?

Has anyone gone through this same process? If so how did they find it? Any potential pitfalls to be aware of?
    I am planning on creating a new VM to house EX2010 - this would be for 1800 students and 200 staff. What would people recommend for RAM and CPU requirements?

Thank Post
    We have deployed this out to our students/staff now and so far it's going pretty well.
    A few things tho that we've come across during the change

OWA 2010
    Conversation view
    As guessed, a lot of users who haven't used gmail or other clients that offer it aren't fans of the new conversation view. So far I've not yet found a way to turn this off by default, so annoyingly you have to go through each folder a user has and turn it off. This may be something users get used to over time, but it's still annoying that you can't configure it on a domain wide level. Be prepared for this, as it will upset some users
    Themes
    Despite an option existing in the OWA segmentation thing on the EMC, users can not change themes themselves, confirmed by Microsoft here (Which begs the question.. why list it as an option?) You can change it on a domain wide level but that's it. A few users have commented that the default one looks a little plain compared to the 2007 one, which it does.
    Outbox folder
    This is hidden now in OWA, which makes sense as it's just a place to dump emails temporary before they are sent. However one of our users had set up a ton of folders in it and had been sorting her sent emails into it. If any of your users do this then you will need to open their mailbox in full outlook and transfer them out, or do it before the move.
    Autocompletion of email addresses
    A lot of our users rely on the "autocomplete" feature of OWA when typing out email addresses that they have sent to in the past. If they don't have emails contacts saved in the contacts folder, then these are totally lost when transferring over to 2010. We did send out a warning about this before hand, but be aware.

Outlook client
    We still have a few outlook 2003 clients on our system, if you have any you may receive an error about being unable to open your folders. To fix this, you need to turn on encryption in outlook 2003, see here
    After doing that, we received another error saying that your exchange administrator had denied access from this version of outlook. Whist I believe you can run a powershell command to fix that, we decided in the end it was easier to just drag those 2/3 users at our place into the present and upgraded their outlook clients to 2007

Move-Mailbox
    Be careful when doing this to move users over from 2007 > 2010. It will do it's best to preserve SIS links on mailboxes, but in our case it didn't quite work, which ballooned our staff exchange DB from 30gb to 45/50. Not really a problem if you have a lot of space and MS have mentioned numerous times that they intend to remove SIS eventually anyway, because it creates quite a lot of overhead. See here
    Also, when moving mailboxes make sure you run a backup as doing so creates a ton of transaction logs that won't be commited until a full backup.

Activesync with domain admin accounts

You can not use Activesync 2010 with Domain Admin accounts unless you do this You *really* shouldn't be using Domain Admin accounts full time anyway and naturally it's on our to-do list to move away from it, but if you are, that link shows what you need to do.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head for the moment, I'll update as/when we find anymore issues :>

AIT
    Thank Post
    I am using Exchange 2010. Upgraded month back.

Runs very nice not much difference from 2007 uses slightly more ram yes even more than 2007. less cpu. has some nice new features for managing user accounts. other than that no difference from 2007.

Well from the user point of view.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john316 View Post
    John,
    Have you already done the upgrade / transition?
    I recently posted this thread (Exchange 2003 > 2010 Transition / Co-existence) asking for people's experiences, and would be keen to know!
    Cheers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345