+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, student computer bans?? in Technical; How do you manage computer / internet bans for students?? All i do at the moment is change their password ...

Thank Post

student computer bans??

How do you manage computer / internet bans for students??
    All i do at the moment is change their password to tutors surname so teachers can log that particular pupil in when its needed and the student cannot log on when they wish.

Thank Post
    We disable their account in AD. Teachers have access to all pupil files anyway so can get work out if they need to.
    If it's an internet ban we use policy central. There is a group which has no access to the internet but they can continue using the computers for work.
    This way it actually punishes them and we rarely have repeat offenders..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For the whole network just disable the account.
    Another option we use is make it so they can only logon one account.

For internet we use Websense. We make a special group and that group is filtered on a whitelist they can then only access approved educational sites.

If you dont do you own filtering to ban them from the internet you could make a special ou and set the group policy on it with duff proxy settings. When you want to ban them drag the account into the OU and because the proxy setting will be wrong they wont get internet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    For the whole network just disable the account.
    Another option we use is make it so they can only logon one account.

For internet we use Websense. We make a special group and that group is filtered on a whitelist they can then only access approved educational sites.

If you dont do you own filtering to ban them from the internet you could make a special ou and set the group policy on it with duff proxy settings. When you want to ban them drag the account into the OU and because the proxy setting will be wrong they wont get internet.
    What when the pupil needs to log on and do some work??
    today i changed a students password and he then realised that taking out the network cable he can log in without his usual profile settings then put the cable back in, click on internet which then it promts for a user name and password so another student then put his name in and then bingo back online again lol.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeymike View Post
    today i changed a students password and he then realised that taking out the network cable he can log in without his usual profile settings then put the cable back in, click on internet which then it promts for a user name and password so another student then put his name in and then bingo back online again lol.
    Just look up the other student in the logs and ban him as well

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeymike View Post
    If the account is disabled it is for good reason and they wont be allowed on for coursework.

If it is an internet ban add the website they need to the whitelist.

rad
    Thank Post
    Untick a box! On RM Console you can. Normally give them 4 weeks, but can be less depending on what they did.

Thank Post
    We don't ban here unless it's a very serious offence that may compromise the network. We have only banned 1 student from using the internet since september, and 4 students received a total network ban for 4 weeks for attempted keylogging of passwords.

In my opinion bans are counter productive, and stem from the days of old where access to ICT equipment was a priveldge and most schools only had 2 ICT suites or simelar, and maybe students only got 1 hour of ICT a week. We are a long way from that now, we have laptop PCs in every department in this school, and they form a vital part of the curriculum in most subjects. Computer access is seen as essential at all times for all students, hence this approach. I think banning students is doing them an injustice and prevents them from working effectively in most subject areas these days in this school.

Mike.

Thank Post
    I tend to agree with maniac. We used to ban but found it didn't change behaviour and staff would ban someone 1 lesson then the next lesson another member of staff would need them unbanned for course work or something.

This year we just did away with banning and started to treat ICT offences like any other and attached a range of punishments like we do for offences.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    We don't ban here unless it's a very serious offence that may compromise the network. We have only banned 1 student from using the internet since september, and 4 students received a total network ban for 4 weeks for attempted keylogging of passwords.

In my opinion bans are counter productive, and stem from the days of old where access to ICT equipment was a priveldge and most schools only had 2 ICT suites or simelar, and maybe students only got 1 hour of ICT a week. We are a long way from that now, we have laptop PCs in every department in this school, and they form a vital part of the curriculum in most subjects. Computer access is seen as essential at all times for all students, hence this approach. I think banning students is doing them an injustice and prevents them from working effectively in most subject areas these days in this school.

Mike.
    We don't tend to ban students at all as due to the majority of subjects now using IT, just because a student has messed about on the internet in one lesson should not disrupt their whole learning across the school.

They is noway these days students can do some courses without the use of the internet / a computer - the abuse of the internet etc is part of the whole school classroom behaviour standard and the points just tally up with all other incidents for a final count up at the end of the year - not being allowed to attend the Year 11 Prom, end of year school trips to themeparks etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Internet Ban: We put them in what we call the "Sin Bin" where they dont have the proxy in the internet settings which gives them no internet.

Network Ban: Disable there account

Although as we will have to start using the platform from september we cant block there internet access/disable there account, so they will probably be on a white list for internet ban's and alternative punishment will have to be taken instead of a network ban.

James.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Internet Ban: We put them in what we call the "Sin Bin" where they dont have the proxy in the internet settings which gives them no internet.

Network Ban: Disable there account

Although as we will have to start using the platform from september we cant block there internet access/disable there account, so they will probably be on a white list for internet ban's and alternative punishment will have to be taken instead of a network ban.

James.
    You can block your internet using this method. Is your Sharepoint server internal? If so it doesn't need to go through the proxy anyway.

Z

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    You can block your internet using this method. Is your Sharepoint server internal? If so it doesn't need to go through the proxy anyway.

Z
    Yeah if i put myself in that OU but i wouldn't do that lol

and i am aware of that they will need access to other sites which is why i said whitelist.

James.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread