+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Windows Thread, student computer bans?? in Technical; How do you manage computer / internet bans for students?? All i do at the moment is change their password ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    south coast
    Posts
    173
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    14

    student computer bans??

    How do you manage computer / internet bans for students??
    All i do at the moment is change their password to tutors surname so teachers can log that particular pupil in when its needed and the student cannot log on when they wish.

  2. #2
    bmdixon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    255
    Thank Post
    43
    Thanked 58 Times in 39 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    We disable their account in AD. Teachers have access to all pupil files anyway so can get work out if they need to.
    If it's an internet ban we use policy central. There is a group which has no access to the internet but they can continue using the computers for work.
    This way it actually punishes them and we rarely have repeat offenders..

  3. #3

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,942
    Thank Post
    886
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    447
    For the whole network just disable the account.
    Another option we use is make it so they can only logon one account.

    For internet we use Websense. We make a special group and that group is filtered on a whitelist they can then only access approved educational sites.

    If you dont do you own filtering to ban them from the internet you could make a special ou and set the group policy on it with duff proxy settings. When you want to ban them drag the account into the OU and because the proxy setting will be wrong they wont get internet.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    south coast
    Posts
    173
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    For the whole network just disable the account.
    Another option we use is make it so they can only logon one account.

    For internet we use Websense. We make a special group and that group is filtered on a whitelist they can then only access approved educational sites.

    If you dont do you own filtering to ban them from the internet you could make a special ou and set the group policy on it with duff proxy settings. When you want to ban them drag the account into the OU and because the proxy setting will be wrong they wont get internet.
    What when the pupil needs to log on and do some work??
    today i changed a students password and he then realised that taking out the network cable he can log in without his usual profile settings then put the cable back in, click on internet which then it promts for a user name and password so another student then put his name in and then bingo back online again lol.

  5. #5
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,765
    Thank Post
    898
    Thanked 416 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeymike View Post
    What when the pupil needs to log on and do some work??
    today i changed a students password and he then realised that taking out the network cable he can log in without his usual profile settings then put the cable back in, click on internet which then it promts for a user name and password so another student then put his name in and then bingo back online again lol.
    Just look up the other student in the logs and ban him as well

  6. #6

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,942
    Thank Post
    886
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeymike View Post
    What when the pupil needs to log on and do some work??
    today i changed a students password and he then realised that taking out the network cable he can log in without his usual profile settings then put the cable back in, click on internet which then it promts for a user name and password so another student then put his name in and then bingo back online again lol.
    If the account is disabled it is for good reason and they wont be allowed on for coursework.

    If it is an internet ban add the website they need to the whitelist.

  7. #7
    rad
    rad is offline
    rad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    2,482
    Thank Post
    335
    Thanked 308 Times in 236 Posts
    Rep Power
    109
    Untick a box! On RM Console you can. Normally give them 4 weeks, but can be less depending on what they did.

  8. #8

    maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    3,051
    Thank Post
    209
    Thanked 427 Times in 307 Posts
    Rep Power
    144
    We don't ban here unless it's a very serious offence that may compromise the network. We have only banned 1 student from using the internet since september, and 4 students received a total network ban for 4 weeks for attempted keylogging of passwords.

    In my opinion bans are counter productive, and stem from the days of old where access to ICT equipment was a priveldge and most schools only had 2 ICT suites or simelar, and maybe students only got 1 hour of ICT a week. We are a long way from that now, we have laptop PCs in every department in this school, and they form a vital part of the curriculum in most subjects. Computer access is seen as essential at all times for all students, hence this approach. I think banning students is doing them an injustice and prevents them from working effectively in most subject areas these days in this school.

    Mike.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kendal
    Posts
    1,555
    Thank Post
    112
    Thanked 177 Times in 144 Posts
    Rep Power
    71
    I tend to agree with maniac. We used to ban but found it didn't change behaviour and staff would ban someone 1 lesson then the next lesson another member of staff would need them unbanned for course work or something.

    This year we just did away with banning and started to treat ICT offences like any other and attached a range of punishments like we do for offences.

  10. #10

    Sylv3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    3,206
    Thank Post
    372
    Thanked 377 Times in 335 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    We don't ban here unless it's a very serious offence that may compromise the network. We have only banned 1 student from using the internet since september, and 4 students received a total network ban for 4 weeks for attempted keylogging of passwords.

    In my opinion bans are counter productive, and stem from the days of old where access to ICT equipment was a priveldge and most schools only had 2 ICT suites or simelar, and maybe students only got 1 hour of ICT a week. We are a long way from that now, we have laptop PCs in every department in this school, and they form a vital part of the curriculum in most subjects. Computer access is seen as essential at all times for all students, hence this approach. I think banning students is doing them an injustice and prevents them from working effectively in most subject areas these days in this school.

    Mike.
    We don't tend to ban students at all as due to the majority of subjects now using IT, just because a student has messed about on the internet in one lesson should not disrupt their whole learning across the school.

    They is noway these days students can do some courses without the use of the internet / a computer - the abuse of the internet etc is part of the whole school classroom behaviour standard and the points just tally up with all other incidents for a final count up at the end of the year - not being allowed to attend the Year 11 Prom, end of year school trips to themeparks etc.

  11. #11

    EduTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    5,062
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 920 Times in 723 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    272
    Internet Ban: We put them in what we call the "Sin Bin" where they dont have the proxy in the internet settings which gives them no internet.

    Network Ban: Disable there account

    Although as we will have to start using the platform from september we cant block there internet access/disable there account, so they will probably be on a white list for internet ban's and alternative punishment will have to be taken instead of a network ban.

    James.

  12. #12

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,942
    Thank Post
    886
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Internet Ban: We put them in what we call the "Sin Bin" where they dont have the proxy in the internet settings which gives them no internet.

    Network Ban: Disable there account

    Although as we will have to start using the platform from september we cant block there internet access/disable there account, so they will probably be on a white list for internet ban's and alternative punishment will have to be taken instead of a network ban.

    James.
    You can block your internet using this method. Is your Sharepoint server internal? If so it doesn't need to go through the proxy anyway.

    Z

  13. #13

    EduTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    5,062
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 920 Times in 723 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    You can block your internet using this method. Is your Sharepoint server internal? If so it doesn't need to go through the proxy anyway.

    Z
    Yeah if i put myself in that OU but i wouldn't do that lol

    and i am aware of that they will need access to other sites which is why i said whitelist.

    James.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 30th June 2009, 04:23 PM
  2. School bans Red Bull from grounds
    By MGSTech in forum General Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 6th June 2008, 05:27 PM
  3. Computer hangs at 'Applying Computer Settings'
    By crc-ict in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 25th April 2008, 10:29 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •