+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Odd problem getting into My Docs in Technical; This is sporadic, which is why it's so confusing. Basically, sometimes students are unable to get into their My Documents ...

Thank Post

Odd problem getting into My Docs

This is sporadic, which is why it's so confusing.

Basically, sometimes students are unable to get into their My Documents - they get an access denied error. Simple enough, permissions you say? Nope, they're set fine - because 99% of the time it works fine.
    Students have list folder permissions for the year group share, and full control over their own folder.

They can get in fine via the mapped N:\ drive, so this isnt a huge problem, but as they are both the same folder, it seems very weird that one way doesnt work.

I was thinking perhaps folder redirection has failed (though event viewer doesnt state this) but then surely it would then just direct to C:\?

Cant give too many other details, since its so sporadic. We've just had a whole suite of kids had it happen to them, yet before today I hadnt seen it happen in weeks

Thank Post
    Happens here sparodically also, but so infrequently I haven't tried to troubleshoot it. I put it also down to folder redirection not applying. Quick logoff and back on again and all is fine.

Thank Post
    I've seen that a few times - profile reset sorts it. Not bothered to look into it, as it doesn't have very high impact.

Thank Post
    If you restrict access to the C: drive then I think you have pretty much answered your own question. Folder redirection is failing and access is restriced to the C: drive, hence the error.

The real issue is why folder redirection is failing. Possibly group policy failing to apply, possibly due to connection issues (dodgy or failing switch?) or possibly even a pure fluke of X amout of PCs polling the PDC and it not being able to cope.

With it being hit and miss its never easy to diagnose.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,645 Posts
    Get delprof (there are loads of threads about this) ontoy our system to clear out the profiles on local machines regularly and you will probably find this problem reduces.

As has been suggested earlier, deleting the user's profile on the server (if they have roaming profiles) and letting them create a new one will get rid of the problem. If you are feeling kind, rename the old profile, wait for the new profile to appear on the server and copy their Favorites folder over!

rad
    Thank Post
    We do the profile reset too.

If that doesn't resolve it then we look further, but 9 times out of 10 it works.

Thank Post
    I'm guessing CC3 and yes, like the others we see this from time to time and again a profile reset works.

Thank Post
    I hate this problem, it's a PITA. I wish RM would produce a fix for it! I get at least 1 support call a week about this, and I've given up resetting profiles now, I just tell them to go via my computer, and N:\

Mike.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    If you are feeling kind, rename the old profile, wait for the new profile to appear on the server and copy their Favorites folder over!
    On CC3, Favourites are held in their MyDocs folder not their profile, so they survive a profile reset.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Not always CC3 - it happens here too on both a schoolcare system and at my other school on a vanilla network.

Thank Post
    Might be related. Found that fdeploy.dll stopped redirection here on random computers due to it being a SP3 related file. The fix was changing version to SP2. Find it in system32 + dllcache. Could try that?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiser View Post
    Might be related. Found that fdeploy.dll stopped redirection here on random computers due to it being a SP3 related file. The fix was changing version to SP2. Find it in system32 + dllcache. Could try that?
    already done this when I moved to Sp3, still get it occassionaly. We also run delprofs but sometimes a userprofile is stubborn and takes another reboot to clear it.

Thank Post
    HI

I have this problem toooooooo. But I have never found a cure. I have redirected the favoret to the persons area on the server so that they will not get deleted when I delprof. But to be honest most of the time I dont have to delprof just get the person to log off and log back on.

Have a good one.

Richard

Thank Post
    We had this problem, removed sp3 and all worked fine.

Thank Post
    It's definitely SP3 related, as it happens here too but only since we went to SP3 on machines. It's very sporadic so not a big thing, but is there a way round it other than removing SP3 entirely as I'm not willing to do that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast