+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Diagnosing XP Shutdown Problem in Technical; I have an XP box which has just started to hang on shutdown. It seems to have started after installing ...
    Thank Post

Diagnosing XP Shutdown Problem

I have an XP box which has just started to hang on shutdown. It seems to have started after installing a USB-2-VGA adapter. It won't shut down if it's unplugged either or in another USB port. I also have a friend who's experiencing the same problem and he has no USB devices plugged-in at shutdown. Both PC's will get to the power off stage and then just stop with the blue background staying visible. You can even hear the hard drives powering down.

Anyone know how to diagnose the cause and/or fix it?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    If you can try disabling the USB2VGA adaptor in Device manager, it could be that windows is trying to release the driver and its not allowing it to. If this works search for an updated driver to try to get round it. If it still hangs then you could try a system restore to before the device was installed to see if that helps.

3. Thanks to Jamo from:

Gerry (23rd March 2009)

Thank Post
    You might want to check te event log and see exactly what's going on when the machine shuts down. Check the System log for any red Xs or exclamation marks at around the time you're shutting down, and read the description of the errors. That should hopefully point you in the right direction.

You can find the event log by right clicking My Computer, selecting Manage, and it's called Event Viewer, under System Tools.

5. Thanks to TheElusiveOrangeButton from:

Gerry (23rd March 2009)

Thank Post
    I'd already checked the event log on both PC's - nothing unusual. I didn't think to disable the device, but I would've thought that unplugging it would have the same effect... I'll try this anyway.

We disable System Restore - can cause even more problems... I really don't want to rollback/reimage the machine - lots of files and software (especially old software from pre-XP days).

Thank Post
    Try plugging the device in and goto device manager and uninstall the device + drivers from there. Have you updated all the drivers on the system?

Thank Post
    Hi there i had the same issue with a few sites i managed to resolve it after much effort hopefully this will help

I did a little bit of testing with running processes and realized that if you stop all the USB2VGA software processes everything comes back to normal.

To resolve this problem you must do the following:

1.Click Start, Run and type “services.msc” this will open the services screen.
    2.Locate the two culprit services that are causing the problem. In this case there are two, “MCTUISvr” and “MCTDesktopSvr”.
    3.Stop and Disable these services by right clicking on each one and selecting properties.
    4.In the properties window for each process first click the “Stop” button and wait for the process to stop. The from the “Startup Type” drop down select “Disabled” and click the “Apply” button.
    5.The processes should now be disabled and you will no longer get the USB2VGA tools coming up in the taskbar.
    6.Now to split the screen, just use the standard Windows Display Properties dialog to extend your desktop
    Hope this is helpful to all of you having this problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread