+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Windows os in Technical; HI I am running a windows 2003 domain with windows xp on all of the clients. Any new machines that ...
    Thank Post

Windows os

HI

I am running a windows 2003 domain with windows xp on all of the clients. Any new machines that have come in have had windows xp installed. We are now coming up to the new budget and thinking of ordering more new machines. The support for windows xp is ending in June 2008 so I have to make a decision what to do with all the operating systems. We have limited amounts of money and I could not upgrade all machines and would have a slow phase in of whatever I do. At the moment vista is big and slow and I dont like it, and windows 7 is not mature.

There is also the operating system on the servers should I upgrade to windows 2008 and does it give me something to justify the cost now or will it wait a bit till next year.

Please could other people tell me what they are doing with this?

Thanks for all your help.

Richard

Thank Post
    How do you do your licensing? Are you part of the Microsoft Schools Agreement, or Select, or just manage original OEM licenses?

Thank Post

stick with it

i would for the next couple of years anyway, stick with server 2003, and windows xp clients, i cant see any reason to upgrade to any of the latest 'offerings' from microsh@ft, which will only make you look bad if you install them on the network.
    I suppose we are hoping that the new OS from microsh@ft will be much better, or more XP like, but i very much doubt it will change much from Visturd.
    Basically i think Microsh@ft have 'lost it' totally, the idea of microsh@ft networks running fast and reliably has almost totally gone without spending a fortune on new hardware. And many many man hours are required testing/trying to actually get their 'OS' to actually work in schools how it should.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    HI

I am running a windows 2003 domain with windows xp on all of the clients. Any new machines that have come in have had windows xp installed. We are now coming up to the new budget and thinking of ordering more new machines. The support for windows xp is ending in June 2008 so I have to make a decision what to do with all the operating systems. We have limited amounts of money and I could not upgrade all machines and would have a slow phase in of whatever I do. At the moment vista is big and slow and I dont like it, and windows 7 is not mature.

There is also the operating system on the servers should I upgrade to windows 2008 and does it give me something to justify the cost now or will it wait a bit till next year.

Please could other people tell me what they are doing with this?
    Personally, I believe that there is little point going for Vista, the release candidates for Windows 7 seem a lot slicker and appear to run smoothly. Of course, Windows 7 isn't released yet.

Server 2008 will be essential when you start to deploy Vista/7 because the 2003 administration tools simply cannot manage the new clients effectively. Therefore, I would upgrade my servers first (in particular my DCs) in readiness for phasing in the new clients.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Server 2008 is a must have really now, its been proven to be a good OS and reliable and as good if not better than 2003 so I wouldn't fear that. I am not rushing to make Vista workstations yet though.

Thank Post
    I think you'll find Microsoft will keep supporting XP for a few years after they stop selling it. They are recommending XP gets upgraded to Windows 7. I would look at making sure the machines are Windows 7 capable and that you have away of upgrade the software license, like a schools agreement.

I personally don't like the idea of a mixed domain, XP\Vista.

Thank Post
    As suggested, if it was me I would look at upgrading the DCs to 2k8 before considering client OS. Then, when Windows 7 comes out, you can be fully prepared server wise for the move and the administration tasks.

Thank Post
    Hi

I buy licenses with every machine I buy. The new machines now come with a vista licences but are downgraded to windows xp.

I think I will add windows 2008 to my next wish list.

Thanks for all your help.

Richard

Thank Post
    Sorry I forgot is there are problems upgrading servers from windows 2003 to windows 2008.

Richard

Thank Post
    Thanks

Has anyone had any upgrade problems.

Richaard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    HI
    The support for windows xp is ending in June 2008 so I have to make a decision what to do with all the operating systems.
    Just out of interest, when was the last time you phoned up Microsoft and asked for support with Windows XP? I've only had to do this once in the last 6 years. Did you apply Service Pack 3 because it was there or because it fixed things that were effecting you?

If there was a really big security problem with XP, Microsoft for the next few years will still bring out a patch as they did this with NT 4 and 2000 after main stream support had ended.

I would just stay with Windows XP. At least for the next year.

Thank Post
    HI

I dont remember the last time I phoned microsoft! We dont have a contract with them so its expensive. We are half way through deploying windows xp sp3 in the school and have done all the main IT rooms and have just started the classroom pcs.

I didnt say there was a security problem with xp at the moment, but there could be once it is no longer supported and from my point of view windows xp does all that we need it to do, but when to move on is a hard decision to make. If you jump too soon you have the problems with the bugs and lack of drivers and software will not run. If you jump too late everything gets behind. I have from experience tried to air on the safe side, but working in a school isolates you a bit from the rest of the ICT world and feedback from others who are more cutting edge helps make informed decisions and I thank everyone on the forum for the help and advice they give.

Richard

Thank Post
    If you think about it in terms of Windows 2000, no new software released supports Windows 2000 (if using new microsoft tech), no new features are release from Microsoft, the only thing Windows 2000 machines get now from Windows Updates is security updates. No reason why you can't stick with XP till Windows 7 been out for a few years. That's Microsoft idea anyway.

Windows 2000 upgrade path is to Windows Vista
    Windows XP upgrade path is to Windows 7

Then, as Windows 7 uses the same "engine" as vista, you'll pretty much just paying for the name.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread