+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, NAS boxes- just don't understand! in Technical; Our server is rapidly running out of space. To help out, I am looking to purchase external storage, as our ...
    Thank Post

NAS boxes- just don't understand!

Our server is rapidly running out of space. To help out, I am looking to purchase external storage, as our current win2k server has 2 disks (mirrored) and I don't really know how to upgrade these.

Currently all our user files and apps are located on the server. If I moved these to a nas box, I would just need to change any redirections/shortcuts to point to the new location.

However, won't I lose out, as NAS boxes generally don't support NTFS? I am concerned that if I put the user files on the NAS, then the permissions side of things through NTFS will dissapear, and students will be able to access anything.

I know this isn't right, but I can't seem to find anything that explains it cleary. Any advice gratefully recieved. Thank you.

Thank Post
    Just as with any server, it's down to what you format the drives as - if you format them as NTFS (which of course, you should!) then you'll be able to set the ACL permissions. NAS or otherwise, it's still just a server.

Now - when you move the files across, you'll need to check/reset the ACLs on the NAS server, but that's all.

3. Thanks to Diello from:

rocknrollstar (23rd March 2009)

Thank Post
    To add to that, there are scripts on here to set permissions on user areas so that can do a lot of the hard work for you. Also MS have a File Server Migration Tool (google: FSMT) to help with such moves.

As you hint in your post some very basic NAS devices don't support NTFS, but I think they are probably in a tiny minority now. Caveat emptor!

5. Thanks to sahmeepee from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another tool you can use to copy over the permissions is Robocopy.

It is included in the Server 2003 Resource Tool Kit - Download details: Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools

If you dont use the command line you can use a GUI. - Utility Spotlight: Robocopy GUI

7. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Thank Post
    What type of NAS box are you using?

If it is a NAS built using XP you should be fine but if it’s one of these boxes with a web front end it might be a bit trickier!

Most NAS support joining to the domain with Active Directory and once thats done you should be able to set the permissions on the files in the normal way.

9. Thanks to MicrodigitUK from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doubt it will be a XP one for a large production environment. You will hit the 10 user limit.

11. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    freenas and there is another one which I cant remember the name of for the life of me ( which allows you to refine permissions etc )

Think it was open filer : http://www.openfiler.com/

13. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    I think the OP is referring to an off-the-shelf NAS, like the Buffalo Terastations or Linksys thingies. In this case, you'll probably access them as a Windows share, and the cheap ones don't support NTFS.

15. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have a drobo hooked up to a windows server, the drobo share device which you can buy as an optional extra to attach it to the network doesn't handle NTFS AFAIK. But shared from a windows box your OK and robocopy running from task scheduler for overnight backups

17. Thanks to Hacksawbob from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Another thing to point out is that most SOHO type NAS boxes have below par speeds via the LAN connection. Another option would be an external HDD connected the server via USB / eATA

19. Thanks to SYSMAN_MK from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unless you're spending a good amount of cash on the NAS you will have very limited performance and they may not support NTFS. Not meaning to be harsh but the best option would be to do some research and learn how to add aditional drives to your current server. You should be able to put a couple of additional hard drives into the server and mirror them which will give you plenty of space with reasonable speed and full NTFS abilities.

The NAS option is ok if you are looking at getting a good fast one as it should be able to cope with demand but these can be expencive and unless you are looking at replacing the server in the short term the internal drives are almost definitely a cheaper and very possibly faster solution.

21. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    I'll second that what you want to do is put more drives in the server or go the whole hog and get a SAN. In fact as the server is a Win2k server and probably ancient what you want is a new server with large disks!

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storage_area_network]Storage area network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

IBM Redbooks | Introduction to Storage Area Networks
    Last edited by somabc; 21st March 2009 at 10:52 PM.

23. Thanks to somabc from:

Thank Post
    Well, what can I say- blown away by the helpful response to my original question. Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out.

I agree that the server needs an upgrade (ie a new server!), and I am proposing that for the new Financial Year. I guess the easiest way to keep it going is to do a clean up on the server, move any video files etc. Perhaps that will give enough space until the new one arrives.

I guess I have one question remaining about non-NTFS drives. If I put an non-NTFS drive in a computer (or share it), does the security dialog on a file or folder's properties show the security tab, as would happen if it's an NTFS drive? Or does windows see it's NTFS and make the security tab visible?

Thanks again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    I guess I have one question remaining about non-NTFS drives. If I put an non-NTFS drive in a computer (or share it), does the security dialog on a file or folder's properties show the security tab, as would happen if it's an NTFS drive? Or does windows see it's NTFS and make the security tab visible?
    You won't see a security tab unless it's formatted as NTFS.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    You won't see a security tab unless it's formatted as NTFS.
    As per what powdarrmonkey says above and also Haven't got a server setup so not sure if its similar or the same as windows xp but at least on windows xp you have to disable simple file sharing to get the correct security tab.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread