+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, ATMFD.dll failed to load in Technical; I'm getting an error in Application Events on startup: Application popup: : \SystemRoot\System32\ATMFD.DLL failed to load I've run an SFC ...
    Thank Post

ATMFD.dll failed to load

I'm getting an error in Application Events on startup:

Application popup: : \SystemRoot\System32\ATMFD.DLL failed to load

I've run an SFC scan which completed successfully but this has not cleared the error. Can anyone help with what application might be trying to load the .dll please? Or has anyone had this and managed to clear it?

Thank Post
    Google churns up lots of different ideas but it seems to be centric to Adobe with font management.

Thank Post
    Yes I've found lots of forums, messages etc from people asking the same question as me. I'm starting to think that Adobe want to rule the world since they have loads of different apps now. Wonder what would happen if I deleted something from Adobe, which app/service uses the font manager do you know?

Thank Post
    I'd just uninstall everything Adobe related and see if this cures it and then put it back on to see whether it comes back.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    I'm getting an error in Application Events on startup:

Application popup: : \SystemRoot\System32\ATMFD.DLL failed to load

I've run an SFC scan which completed successfully but this has not cleared the error. Can anyone help with what application might be trying to load the .dll please? Or has anyone had this and managed to clear it?
    When the message is on-screen, run procexp and search for the DLL name. That should reveal what has loaded it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    I'd just uninstall everything Adobe related and see if this cures it and then put it back on to see whether it comes back.
    I seem to be doing a lot of that just now.That's the trouble when you start to look at the event viewer

AngryTechnician: I don't actually see the pop-up, just the entry in the event viewer. I will have a look in Process Explorer though just in case, thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    I would agree with that also if you go to msconfig ( startup tab and services tab ) you should be able to check the check box on the services tab at the bottom to only show non MS services and stop any adobe services and also on the startup tab disable any adobe related startup items and see if the message clears - if the messages are still there after reboot and adobe has been disabled then possibly something else.

Is it possible to use regsvr32 to register that dll and see if that helps ? If it cant be registered then maybe its a corrupt dll and as per above un install and re install the offending application or even dll if you can find a dll thats the original one that is not virus ridden or anything.

8. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

leco (21st March 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I would agree with that also if you go to msconfig ( startup tab and services tab ) you should be able to check the check box on the services tab at the bottom to only show non MS services and stop any adobe services and also on the startup tab disable any adobe related startup items and see if the message clears - if the messages are still there after reboot and adobe has been disabled then possibly something else.

Is it possible to use regsvr32 to register that dll and see if that helps ? If it cant be registered then maybe its a corrupt dll and as per above un install and re install the offending application or even dll if you can find a dll thats the original one that is not virus ridden or anything.
    There are no Adobe services listed, have stopped Adobe Update, Adobe Reader (there were two of them) Speed Launch and another one, on the Start Up tab and restarted. However, the message remains the same. Before uninstalling everything Adobe, how would I use regscr32 to register the offending .dll?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    There are no Adobe services listed, have stopped Adobe Update, Adobe Reader (there were two of them) Speed Launch and another one, on the Start Up tab and restarted. However, the message remains the same. Before uninstalling everything Adobe, how would I use regscr32 to register the offending .dll?
    Put this into a run command

Regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System32\atmfd.dll"

if that is not the correct path search for the dll and change the path accordingly.
    Last edited by FN-GM; 22nd March 2009 at 12:47 AM.

11. Thanks to FN-GM from:

leco (22nd March 2009)

Thank Post
    I've uninstalled everything I can find that's labelled Adobe but the event persists! The .dll file is there in the path you have mentioned so perhaps it just needs that extra push to register. Will try that tomorrow, thanks.

Thank Post
    are there any applications when launched that complain about it not being able to work due to that dll that did not startup with windows ?

Also if you go to the relevant run keys in the registry and stop it from starting up ( temporarily ) does it complain about anything else ?

Maybe use ccleaner to clear the registry ( repeatdly run until it finds nothing ) ensuring you make registry key backups just in case.

Thank Post
    Trying to register the .dll failed - Attempt to access invalid address though the path I put in is correct

Mac_Shinobi: Nothing has complained yet. Do I just set ccleaner to look at the registry? Exactly which key am I to look at, please? I'm not used to delving into the registry so am unfamiliar with the layout.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Is this a server or a workstation?

Thank Post
    Is this a server or a workstation?

good point - if its a server then just stop that dll from running if this is a work station and it doesnt matter or its not mission critical if it falls over then use ccleaner otherwise I wouldnt touch ccleaner

Thank Post
    It is a workstation, not mission critical just rather annoying not knowing why.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast