+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Explorer crashes when selecting files? in Technical; Got a strange on, when I copy a file/s from a folder in My Documents as soon as I select ...
    Thank Post

Explorer crashes when selecting files?

Got a strange on, when I copy a file/s from a folder in My Documents as soon as I select copy, Explorer crashes. All other files and folders are OK to copy and if I use DOS commands to copy the file it copies fine as well, only problem is when I right click files in this folder. Think I can remember it happening in another folder at some point in the past I think. Any ideas or is it impending doom for the disk

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    I find Explorer sometimes stops responding with large files 200MB+ then comes back to life. It's strange it's happening just with files/folders in your My Documents.

If you open up Task Manager, choose the Performance tab - then right a folder in My Documents does your CPU use shoot up?

I seem to remember both XP Gold and ironically Vista Gold too both have problems copying/moving data with Explorer crashing or copying/moving files very slowly.

I believe the other reason can be from using third party tools which install themselves on the context menu, but this still doesn't explain why it happens with your My Documents and no where else The joy of Microsoft Windows!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do you have securus running on your network?

Thank Post
    Unfortunately this is just my own PC at home. If it was at work would have just re-imaged the PC by now. As its at home can't be bothered to do anything major like that at the moment so if I can't sort it its not major will just drop back to good old dos to delete them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When you say explorer crashes do you mean it quits or freezes? If it freezes, then kill it with task manager and let it upload the report to Microsoft - you may well get useful info back.

this typically happens because something registered as a right click handler is broken. I've had it happen recently with ffdshow.ax (I think; it was certainly a codec file)

If you don't get useful info back from MS, what have your recently installed that could have added to the right click handlers?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,720 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with srochford it is most likely a codec that has gone wrong. When you click on a file explorer will try to interpret it and generate a preview if it can. It will grind through all of the preview filters even if there is no file of the offending type in the folder and this can easily bring explorer down.

These may help (untested):
    Codecs.com :: Download Codec Tweak Tool 2.3.2 : Codec Tweak Tool is able to detect and remove broken codecs and filters
    Free-Codecs.com :: Download Cucusoft Codec Fixer 1.0 : Cucusoft Codec Fixer is useful if you encounter codec problems.
    Free-Codecs.com :: Download RegShell 1.0 : RegShell allows to register/unregister DLL codec files using RegSvr32 tool

7. Thanks to SYNACK from:

TechSupp (17th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Install teracopy

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I agree with srochford it is most likely a codec that has gone wrong. When you click on a file explorer will try to interpret it and generate a preview if it can. It will grind through all of the preview filters even if there is no file of the offending type in the folder and this can easily bring explorer down.

These may help (untested):
    Codecs.com :: Download Codec Tweak Tool 2.3.2 : Codec Tweak Tool is able to detect and remove broken codecs and filters
    Free-Codecs.com :: Download Cucusoft Codec Fixer 1.0 : Cucusoft Codec Fixer is useful if you encounter codec problems.
    Free-Codecs.com :: Download RegShell 1.0 : RegShell allows to register/unregister DLL codec files using RegSvr32 tool
    Thanks I'll try that, have got ffdshoiw installed so may be that and the files are video files so could have solved it...maybe...thanks for the suggestions anyway, will try when I get a chance.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread