+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, R2 Print Management - Per Computer in Technical; Hello all, I'm currently running R2 Print Management - Per User (which works absolutely fine), however due to demand, I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts

Question R2 Print Management - Per Computer

Hello all,

I'm currently running R2 Print Management - Per User (which works absolutely fine), however due to demand, I need to change this configuration to Per Computer.

Pushprinterconnections.exe is setup as a Startup script, and the required printers have been configured/deployed on a Per Computer basis.

When I logon as a domain administrator, everything appears to work as it should. Logon as anyone else, such as pupils and staff and it doesn't. I've even tried running it with -log, but it doesn't even create a log file which is bazaar.

I'm at a complete loss why it isn't running correctly. I've tried gpupdate /force and also enforcing the GPO link, yet it makes no difference. Return the printers back to Per User and everything is fine.

One article I came across mentioned a conflict between R2 Print Management and XP SP3 and I am running XP SP3 and following guidelines as published by Microsoft. All ideas/suggestions would be welcome as I have wasted enough time as it is!

Thank Post
    An update - I have finally cracked it, only after about 2 hours of experimenting! For some unknown reason the default profile template I use for all users (which I created a long time ago) was blocking the new printers being dynamically created. Really strange, but creating a new profile worked. I found absolutely nothing on Google about this!

Only problem I have now is how can I remove the Smart Notebook Capture Printer using a script?

Thank Post
    strComputer = "."
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
    & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
    Set colInstalledPrinters = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
    ("Select * from Win32_Printer where DeviceID = 'Smart Notebook Capture Printer'")
    For Each objPrinter in colInstalledPrinters
    objPrinter.Delete_
    Next

Put that in your logon script (and just check that it is actually called Smart Notebook Printer - if it is slightly different, as I haven't got it on this PC at the moment, then just change it where I've italicized it) and it should work.

I use this script to get rid of Microsoft Office Document Image Writer & Microsoft XPS Document Writer which confuse the hell out of new users when they end up being set as default instead of the local printer.

4. Thanks to TheFopp from:

Michael (13th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for this, I'll keep it for future reference. It only affects machines with Smart 9 or 10 installed, but only machines connected to whiteboards have it installed. Was just as quick to visit the 10 or so machines and delete it manually.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread