+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, USB Stick Found new hardware & digital signature in Technical; When ever a USB stick is inserted, the computer pop up with new hardware found then searches for it, after ...

Thank Post

USB Stick Found new hardware & digital signature

When ever a USB stick is inserted, the computer pop up with new hardware found then searches for it, after that I get a message saying drivers are not digitally signed. I press continue then it install successfully.(this is on a Administrator account)
    However all a student account that has limited privileges it will ask for an administrator password.
    Can any one please tell me how to make the USB install in the background like how it use to.

Note. I have checked the GPO

Thank Post
    IIRC it should just work on Windows XP as long as your running service pack 2 or higher with the relevant group policy setup?
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 11th March 2009 at 01:13 PM.

Thank Post
    HI

I get the same thing happening with some usb sticks. What I have to do is log on as admin and then insert the stick and then its ok. There are several chipsets for usb sticks and once the machine has seen it and loads the drivers the problem stops.

Richard

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure at my last school this happened with some sticks that started coming in with all the security and other stuff on...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Can any one please tell me how to make the USB install in the background like how it use to.
    You need to obtain drivers which are Digitally Signed, otherwise Windows won't install the memory stick automatically as you'd like. It is strange however you're being prompted everytime to install drivers. Windows normally stores this information, even for drivers which are not Digitally Signed once you've OK'ed the drivers

Thank Post
    We had a similar problem here. After a lot of research we found the problem was associated with a corruption in the folder ‘C:\Windows\system32\catroot2’.

Delete this folder and allow the pc to create another one on reboot. The folder cannot be deleted until you stop the process ‘cryptsvc’.

This worked for us but it might not be the same for you if the pen drive is trying to do something fancy or needs a special driver etc...

7. Thanks to SSFC from:

contink (11th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    when setting up usb memory sticks on computers there were only a few types so just installed them on a local administrator account and then they worked for students.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SSFC View Post
    We had a similar problem here. After a lot of research we found the problem was associated with a corruption in the folder ‘C:\Windows\system32\catroot2’.

Delete this folder and allow the pc to create another one on reboot. The folder cannot be deleted until you stop the process ‘cryptsvc’.

This worked for us but it might not be the same for you if the pen drive is trying to do something fancy or needs a special driver etc...
    That explains a lot...

We had a lot of corrupt profiles and this was happening a couple of weeks before I figured out that there was a problem..

Probably had the same thing happen to that folder... Thanks for the info...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SSFC View Post

This works here whenever I have needed to do this in the past.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread