+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Adobe Reader 9.0 Error Message. Need Help Please. in Technical; Hi all, In our school we use Adobe Reader 9.0. When some members of the stuff attempt to view a ...

Thank Post

Adobe Reader 9.0 Error Message. Need Help Please.

Hi all,

In our school we use Adobe Reader 9.0. When some members of the stuff attempt to view a pdf document in adobe reader 9 within a web browser, it crashes itself and then the following error message appear:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Program: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
    This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual
    way.
    Please contact the applications support team for more information."

I have uninstalled adobe reader and reinstalled 3 times (the computer has been restarted and then re-installed from a full installation package and the problem persists). This error occurs in both Firefox and IE. Specifically, do I need to update the runtime library or is there another way to fix this?

It's funny I can use Reader 9.0 if I'm logged into my Administrator account (I don't get the Visual C++ error), but when couple of staff login using their own user account they will get the error message displayed above. Has anyone else noticed this?

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do you have redirected appdata folders, Acrobat9 is and can't cope with this which is what was causing a simmilar error for me. I went back to using the last version of 8, it may be slower but at least it works on a network. Your admin account probably does not have appdata redirection and so is unaffected.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

chrisreed (10th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Do you have redirected appdata folders, Acrobat9 is and can't cope with this which is what was causing a simmilar error for me. I went back to using the last version of 8, it may be slower but at least it works on a network. Your admin account probably does not have appdata redirection and so is unaffected.
    Hi SYNACK, thanks for your help.
    But students cannot open some of the PDF documents in Version 8 because various content is not displayed correctly.
    Your right about the administrator account (thanks). but i need a way of solving this problem so that the few members of staff don't get this error message.

Thanks,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Hi Chrisreed,

You might not like my post...
    I spent litterally days trying to fix this issue and eventually found a page on the Adobe site which said they were aware of the problem (which is down to redirected appdata folder) which would hopefully be addressed in a future release.

Unfortunately, it's not been addressed yet, and we're still downgrading clients to version 8!

With that said, it was quite some time ago that I did my investigation. I'll be interested to know if you have more luck now!

6. Thanks to mb2k01 from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is a known fault with Acrobat that they do not intend to fix (Edit: It looks like they have finally seen some sence, they just havn't followed through with it), you could disable appdata redirection, try foxit reader and see if that renders the PDFs correctly or use a logon script to tamper with the appdata setting once the user has logged in to give reader a local path to write to however this messes with other appdata like office prefferences etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbraham View Post
    Hi Chrisreed,

You might not like my post...
    I spent litterally days trying to fix this issue and eventually found a page on the Adobe site which said they were aware of the problem (which is down to redirected appdata folder) which would hopefully be addressed in a future release.

Unfortunately, it's not been addressed yet, and we're still downgrading clients to version 8!

With that said, it was quite some time ago that I did my investigation. I'll be interested to know if you have more luck now!
    Thanks for your time and help mbraham. I just been on the following Adobe Reader website and they think its a attacker (maybe now that this has happened (see below) they will step it up a bit on 9.1):

APSA09-01 - Buffer overflow issue in versions 9.0 and earlier of Adobe Reader and Acrobat

Thanks
    Chris Reed

Thank Post
    This always works for me, click on Edit>Preferences>Internet and then either tick or untick the display pdf in a web browser.

Should solve it

10. Thanks to Singist from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    If you're going to downgrade your machines to Adobe 8.1.x, then I would recommend you also create an MST, otherwise it may try to update all your machines to version 9 again!

Alternatively, stop redirecting Appdata and this also will solve the problem.

12. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    This always works for me, click on Edit>Preferences>Internet and then either tick or untick the display pdf in a web browser.

Should solve it
    This also can be specified in an MST file, so you don't have to go round manually updating all your machines

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If you're going to downgrade your machines to Adobe 8.1.x, then I would recommend you also create an MST, otherwise it may try to update all your machines to version 9 again!

Alternatively, stop redirecting Appdata and this also will solve the problem.
    Thanks Micheal i will give Appdata a try.

Thanks,
    Chris Reed

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

16. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Thanks Synack for the links, i appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Chris Reed

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread