+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, XP Install BSOD - Help! in Technical; Hey all, We have this strange problem whereby when we try and install windows using the install disc, on some ...
    Thank Post

XP Install BSOD - Help!

Hey all,

We have this strange problem whereby when we try and install windows using the install disc, on some PCs and a few laptop models we experience BSODs when booting from our original install disc. However if we use an SP2 disc, no BSODs occur.

The disc we're using is the original XP disc, no SPs included, which is compatible with our volume licence.
    The XP SP2 disc works fine, but isn't compatible with our volume licence.

I can't think of a way round this. I'm not sure if slipstreaming the original disc with SP2 will fix the bsod issue, and am not sure why the BSODs are occuring.

Its a strange one.

Any ideas peeps?

cb

nc-

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Hey all,

We have this strange problem whereby when we try and install windows using the install disc, on some PCs and a few laptop models we experience BSODs when booting from our original install disc. However if we use an SP2 disc, no BSODs occur.

The disc we're using is the original XP disc, no SPs included, which is compatible with our volume licence.

I can't think of a way round this. I'm not sure if slipstreaming the original disc with SP2 will fix the bsod issue, and am not sure why the BSODs are occuring.

Its a strange one.

Any ideas peeps?

cb
    Hi,
    i have seen this, but i can't remember why it does it. The easyist thing i can suggest is to use your original disk and slipstream it. you can download nlite for free and is really easy to use.

3. Thanks to nc- from:

Crispin (10th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nc- View Post
    Hi,
    i have seen this, but i can't remember why it does it. The easyist thing i can suggest is to use your original disk and slipstream it. you can download nlite for free and is really easy to use.
    Ive just downloaded nlite and will try that now. cheers!

theeldergeek
    Hey all,

Its a strange one.

Any ideas peeps?

cb
    At what point is it BSOD'ing?
    Are these new PC's, existing PC's, old PC's from somewhere else?
    Have you checked your BIOS settings in respect of SATA or IDE configuration?

Can't really offer further advice unless you can give more detail.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2online View Post
    At what point is it BSOD'ing?
    Are these new PC's, existing PC's, old PC's from somewhere else?
    Have you checked your BIOS settings in respect of SATA or IDE configuration?

Can't really offer further advice unless you can give more detail.

The BSODs will occur at different times during the installation process depending on the model of PC/laptop which is being used. Often this will happen with newer models.

The PC which I have had the recent problem today with is an Acer Aspire M1640 but the same problem has happened with our Ergo Vista 631s.

Have tried altering/fiddling/meddling with BIOS settings and nothing seems to change its behaviour.

Also we have two copies of the cd so it rules out a physically damaged disc.

Thank Post
    Go with the slipstreaming, I am guessing that there is a device driver incompatibility. Hardware has moved on a bit in the last 8 years

theeldergeek
    The BSODs will occur at different times during the installation process depending on the model of PC/laptop which is being used. Often this will happen with newer models.

The PC which I have had the recent problem today with is an Acer Aspire M1640 but the same problem has happened with our Ergo Vista 631s.

Have tried altering/fiddling/meddling with BIOS settings and nothing seems to change its behaviour.

Also we have two copies of the cd so it rules out a physically damaged disc.
    SATA or IDE drives on these machines?

9. Thanks to theeldergeek from:

Thank Post
    Can host an original VL XP SP3 cd for you... PM me if you want it...

11. Thanks to linkazoid from:

13. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    SATA or IDE drives on these machines?
    SATA drives are present. Although I have SATA only machines that do work fine with the CD. I imagine the suggestion that its a driver issue sounds to be correct.

Thanks very much for the kind offer. I am just burning an ISO i've slipstreamed using nlite. Will let you know if it works or not!

Thank Post
    I had the same problem last week with a Dell Precision laptop. Turns out that the SATA drivers need SP2. A slipstreamed CD worked for me.

theeldergeek
    SATA drives are present. Although I have SATA only machines that do work fine with the CD. I imagine the suggestion that its a driver issue sounds to be correct.
    Is there no opportunity to change the settings in the BIOS to some sort of legacy mode as opposed to SATA?

We had to do this with some of our Dell machines. I have a SATA machine at home and can install XP on it without making any changes, so just because it works on one type doesn't mean it will on another.

We use the slipstream method ourselves which has certainly cut back on how much time you need to spend at a machine which is being installed as well as introducing drivers and such like into the process.

If you can get that to work, then that's the route to take.

Thank Post
    Is there no opportunity to change the settings in the BIOS to some sort of legacy mode as opposed to SATA?
    Had a look for this, no option anywhere in the BIOS that I could see for legacy mode or equivilent on the Acer.

My slipstreamed disc caused the same problem with SP3, I may try again with just SP2 on but I can imagine the same problem will occur. Can I take you up on your offer? I will send you a PM.

I will have another play with nlite in case I missed something. Possibly add the drivers manually if possible.

Thanks all.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread