+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
Windows Thread, DNS Forwarding in Technical; We have a Moodle server here, and at the minute when a user goes to moodle.domain.com it go out on ...
  1. #1

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    241

    DNS Forwarding

    We have a Moodle server here, and at the minute when a user goes to moodle.domain.com it go out on the internet to retrieve it.

    I have set up DNS so that moodle.domain.com goes to the internal IP of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx which works a treat, but if I try to go to www.domain.com it throws a "cannot find server".

    How do I open up (using internal DNS) moodle.domain.com to go to our internal IP but all other *.domain.com resolves using external DNS.

  2. #2

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,859
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 777 Times in 650 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    What DNS server - windows, bind, other?

  3. #3

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    What DNS server - windows, bind, other?
    It's a Windows Server 2003 box

  4. #4

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,859
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 777 Times in 650 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    Get the properties of the DNS server in the DNS MMC, and on the Forwarders tab pick 'All other DNS domains' and add your upstreams into the bottom section. Remember to hit Add to actually put them into the list.

  5. #5

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Get the properties of the DNS server in the DNS MMC, and on the Forwarders tab pick 'All other DNS domains' and add your upstreams into the bottom section. Remember to hit Add to actually put them into the list.
    I right-clicked on the new zone I added, went to properties and then forwarders. Clicked all other DNS domains and it already has 2 IP's in there.

  6. #6
    MicrodigitUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    334
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 55 Times in 51 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    What I did was manually added the static public ips for to the domain names manually into dns as thereís not that many on most domains. E.g. www.domainname .co.uk (public ip) mail.domainname.co.uk(public ip) imail.domainname.co.uk(public ip) and moodle.domainname.co.uk (with internal ip) folders.domainname.co.uk (with internal ip) intranet.domainname.co.uk (with internal ip) I think I had to put in another one for ISP mail server but you get the idea.

    I got the public static ipís by using Convert Host Name to IP Address or Find IP address of a host - e.g. find IP address of host name of to convert them.

    Hope that helps

  7. #7

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by MicrodigitUK View Post
    What I did was manually added the static public ips for to the domain names manually into dns as thereís not that many on most domains. E.g. www.domainname .co.uk (public ip) mail.domainname.co.uk(public ip) imail.domainname.co.uk(public ip) and moodle.domainname.co.uk (with internal ip) folders.domainname.co.uk (with internal ip) intranet.domainname.co.uk (with internal ip) I think I had to put in another one for ISP mail server but you get the idea.

    I got the public static ipís by using Convert Host Name to IP Address or Find IP address of a host - e.g. find IP address of host name of to convert them.

    Hope that helps
    But we have forwarders like

    Code:
    add1.domain.com which directs to 123.123.123.123/add1
    and
    add2.domain.com which directs to 123.123.123.123/add2
    So we can't do it the way you suggest.

    Any other thoughts?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Rugby
    Posts
    432
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 66 Times in 61 Posts
    Rep Power
    35
    From my understanding once you add a domain as a zone on your dns servers it becomes authoritative thusly you cannot pick and chose which subdomains you want it to answer for. You need to do as microdigit suggests and add all sub domains as exist on your public dns server.

    The fact that you have multiple sub domains that may or may not point to different servers should not matter. So long as the subdomain and ip are the same between both dns servers it is the web server that resolves what content should be returned.

    Matt

  9. #9

    SpuffMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,235
    Thank Post
    55
    Thanked 278 Times in 186 Posts
    Rep Power
    134
    Do you not just add the "moodle." into the forward lookup zone?

  10. #10


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,690
    Thank Post
    352
    Thanked 796 Times in 715 Posts
    Rep Power
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    Do you not just add the "moodle." into the forward lookup zone?
    If you have a zone for the .domain then yep.

  11. #11

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    If you have a zone for the .domain then yep.
    Which I have - that was the easy part.

    The thing is, now I have that domain set up as a zone, I want to be able to say (excuse my pseudo code haha) "if the prefix (www. or ww2. etc) doesn't exist in this zone, find it on the internet."

  12. #12
    Hawkeyez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    272
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Which I have - that was the easy part.

    The thing is, now I have that domain set up as a zone, I want to be able to say (excuse my pseudo code haha) "if the prefix (www. or ww2. etc) doesn't exist in this zone, find it on the internet."
    That should work anyway...

    here we have

    vle.* (moodle)
    comm.* (moodle)
    mail.* (exchange)
    folders.* (webfolders)
    share.* (sharepoint)

    They are all internal

    www.* (website)

    Is external, but isnt listed in the zone, so goes out on the internet to fetch.
    We mainly did first due to moodle, having upgraded to 1.9 ove the summer from 1.7, and was having issues with the fix to get around the server having 2 domains.
    We then added mail and share, as we purchased a wildcard SSL cert for our domain.

    Gary

  13. #13

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by gparr View Post
    That should work anyway...

    here we have

    vle.* (moodle)
    comm.* (moodle)
    mail.* (exchange)
    folders.* (webfolders)
    share.* (sharepoint)

    They are all internal

    www.* (website)

    Is external, but isnt listed in the zone, so goes out on the internet to fetch.
    We mainly did first due to moodle, having upgraded to 1.9 ove the summer from 1.7, and was having issues with the fix to get around the server having 2 domains.
    We then added mail and share, as we purchased a wildcard SSL cert for our domain.

    Gary
    See, that's exactly what I want yet for some reason it's not working. if I try www.* (because I haven't added a www look-up) I get a "server cannot be found" message instead of the externally hosted website.

    Any ideas why this is so, and what I might need to look at to correct this?

    Many thanks,

  14. #14

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,143
    Thank Post
    863
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    772
    You need to do as below because as soon as you set it as a record on your DNS it is authorotive:

    Re: Non authoritative domain on Windows Server 2003
    You could create a zone called "hostname.domainname.com" and then within
    that zone create a blank host A record (same as parent) pointing to the
    relevant internal IP

    Then your server would only be authorative for the zone "hostname.domainname.
    com"and any records within that zone (such as the same as parent host record
    you need)

    Only drawback to this is you have to create a separate DNS zone for each host
    and a same as parent record but it works

  15. Thanks to SYNACK from:

    Hightower (12th March 2009)

  16. #15

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,670
    Thank Post
    904
    Thanked 1,318 Times in 800 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    445
    I would just make a new forward lookup zone of moodle.domain.com (I assume on zone is domain.com) and create a blank A record with the IP.
    That *should* work?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29th September 2008, 07:16 PM
  2. port forwarding problem
    By IA76 in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15th August 2008, 01:29 PM
  3. DNS Problems... DCHP correct, DNS wrong
    By burgemaster in forum Windows
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 27th June 2008, 11:05 AM
  4. Exchange forwarding
    By Jobos in forum Windows
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 5th April 2008, 09:56 PM
  5. ISA IP Forwarding
    By DSapseid in forum Windows
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 13th July 2007, 01:29 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •