1. O/S Disc ( windows xp )
2. This utility - IEFix Utility - Description
3. Installed VB6 runtime files - which you can find / get from the above url.
run the above utility and try again.
One of our staff on the admin network install the windows updates for IE. (Still running IE6).
Now whenever she closes IE it gets an errror message. Any ideas of a solution? Error message shown below:
Have you tried viewing the file 17ed_appcompat.txt that is created? To me as the filename suggests, it looks as though you have a compatibility issue.
Any reason why you're still running IE6 and not IE7? You could try: Start > Run > sfc /scannow and see if this fixes the problem.
Actually - just gone to the machine and its IE7. The IEFix program doesn't support IE7.
Sound like corrupt install as it errors on every close. Just installed Firefox as you can't even remove IE7 - remove option not avaliable in add/rem programs.
if you go to tools --> internet options --> advanced and do a complete restore and try it again - that seems to fix ie 7 issues.
un installing ie 7 when option is not in add/remove programs
If you cannot find an Internet Explorer 7 entry using Add or Remove Programs, try running these commands. Each is for a different release of Internet Explorer 7, so only one will succeed. To run any of these commands, you need to have the View hidden folders option enabled. In the commands below, %windir% is the location of your Windows directory, which can usually be found at C:\Windows. To run these commands, click Start, click Run, and then type one of the following:
- %windir%\$NtUninstallie7beta1$\spuninst\spuninst.e xe.
- %windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.e xe.
- %windir%\$NtUninstallie7b2pmx$\spuninst\spuninst.e xe.
- %windir%\$NtUninstallie7beta2$\spuninst\spuninst.e xe.
If the uninstall process causes the computer to stop responding while removing Internet Explorer 7, restart the computer, delete any custom sound schemes created after installing the Internet Explorer 7 Beta, and then try to uninstall Internet Explorer 7 again.
Internet Explorer 7 Fails to Uninstall from Specified User Account
If you see an error message saying that you cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 from this user account, you can bypass the check by following these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.
- Right-click the Internet Explorer key, click New, and then click DWORD value.
- Type InstalledByUser as the name, and then press ENTER to finish creating the new registry value.
- Try to uninstall Internet Explorer 7 again.
How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
once you can remove ie 7 you can use the iefix to rectify ie 6 and then re install ie 7 if you want.
If you had a machine with XP SP2, then installed IE7 and then installed XP SP3 on top, uninstalling IE7 becomes unavailable. You should still be able to either repair it or install IE7 again from Microsoft and re-install it as new.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)