+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Block Student Laptops in Technical; I would look at implementing a solution to stop them getting onto the internal network at all, or restricting them ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,720 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would look at implementing a solution to stop them getting onto the internal network at all, or restricting them to certain areas of it. You could setup the free PacketFence (PacketFence: Home) software to isolate unwanted hosts or use the included NAP (network access protection) in Windows 2008 Server if you have it, this would get past the simple MAC address check as it looks at the system itself and checks criteria (pretty sure domain membership can be one of these)

ITidiots Episode 68: Windows 2008 Network Access Protection :: Tech Videos, Screencasts, Webinars, Techtalks, Tutorials

I do agree with the others though in that a proxy that supports AD integration would be the quickest and easiest solution.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    If you want to be horrible then you could have DHCP running but all clients are assigned a reserved IP based on MAC address, the remainder of the scope passes it to a different gateway ... one that goes nowhere.

They get an address and gateway but it buggers them up for a bit ... just a bit of an inconvenience but every bit that is another layer of annoyance is fun.
    that wouldnt stop them setting a static IP.

suppose you could create a "whitelist" of mac addresses in your switches but that would make installing any new equipment annoying, but would mean that at a hardware level thier laptops wouldnt be able to use the network

Thank Post
    If your switches support it then turn on port security to help prevent them plugging in with a cable- mine is set for one mac address per port so if a student pulls the patch lead and plugs in an unauthorised device it shuts the port down.

Of course that won't stop them where you have outlets where you need lots of different machines to have access (like laptops) at the front of a classroom etc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ssiruuk2 View Post
    If your switches support it then turn on port security to help prevent them plugging in with a cable- mine is set for one mac address per port so if a student pulls the patch lead and plugs in an unauthorised device it shuts the port down.

Of course that won't stop them where you have outlets where you need lots of different machines to have access (like laptops) at the front of a classroom etc
    supposing a non authorised laptop or device is used, does this not create a whole load of work for you, or can you enable the port again remotely?

Thank Post
    Do anyone besides the kids use your router at weekends? If not just unplug it!

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    I was hoping that some tweek to the system would do it - Damn !!

Tom Newton - we are trialing your school guardian at the moment !!

Unfortuntely powering off is not an option as staff use it on a weekend too

Thank Post
    DHCP Block on Mac address might be the option, just tried on my iphone and does the job so trying with a cable now. Given the false router address.

Thank Post
    karl - duh - I should have remembered, I spoke to you before I went on my holidays. Brain is still in Nairobi, clearly

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    DHCP Block on Mac address might be the option, just tried on my iphone and does the job so trying with a cable now. Given the false router address.
    You can still allocate a static IP address however. Thinking about it more, the solution to this problem isn't really DHCP; it's definitely the proxy side of things. They're connecting through the proxy to surf the internet. That's the students whole purpose, so re-configuring permissions or time restrictions on the proxy would be the answer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You can still allocate a static IP address however. Thinking about it more, the solution to this problem isn't really DHCP; it's definitely the proxy side of things. They're connecting through the proxy to surf the internet. That's the students whole purpose, so re-configuring permissions or time restrictions on the proxy would be the answer.
    Your right but the proxy we have at present doesn't allow that, plus its weekends, so the staff are using the internet too.

Not sure the kids would be bright enough to assign static IP !! (Or i hope not)

Thank Post
    HELP !!

In DHCP added the Mac address to reservations. Set the gateway in dhcp for that machine to something false. However, pc still connects via the proxy (different server) !

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12