+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, BGinfo can save computer info into a file in Technical; I've just discovered (after I wanted to log what memory I had installed in each computer in a school) that ...

Thank Post

BGinfo can save computer info into a file

I've just discovered (after I wanted to log what memory I had installed in each computer in a school) that BGinfo (which I already run in each computer startup) will save all the info it can into an Excel file

Just had to alter the settings in my networked .bgi file and they'll all report in next time they re-boot

Some days you win

Simon

2. 2 Thanks to SimpleSi:

kearton (27th February 2009), TheScarfedOne (26th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nice little gem of info there... might well use this one myself too!

Thank Post
    or if you run spiceworks it pulls anything relevent from every machine/switch/printer/server on the network, and makes a handy gui & report interface for you.

Thank Post
    or if you run spiceworks it pulls anything relevent from every machine/switch/printer/server on the network
    I'd put good money on it not doing unless you've configured your network to work with spiceworks

Tried it once in the past - it found the HP networked printer and that's all

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a VBS script that runs locally on each computer at machine startup and chucks vast amounts of hardware information up to a central database including serial numbers etc. It just uses WMI and gives you a good picture of the network. I can probably post it if people are interested.

Thank Post
    Yes please
    (off to google WMI )

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    I also collect this during startup, but as part of a larger workstation manager project (that's taking far too long... damn users )

Thank Post
    why would you go this route when you could go service agent install on OCS? To each their own but the service route doesnt require any one to be logged on - but then again how often is a computer not logged on in an education evironment ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Yes please
    (off to google WMI )
    Have attached it, you can either point it at an access DB, which can be problomatic or a SQLExpress server. It should bea easily modifiable to connect to a different type of DB like mySQL but those would need the ADO drivers installed to each client pc.

It is rough and still in progress but has been running alright for six months or so. It will update based on the system serial number so it does not matter if you reinstall the box with a different name. Some machines don't have the serial number written propperly so there is a section where you specify bogus serial numbers so that it updates the pcs via system name instead.

Have a read of my blog posting http://www.edugeek.net/forums/blogs/...computing.html for more details on this and writing the values to the BIOS if nessisary.

You can get lots more information with WMI but this is just a subset that I found useful as it gives you a good indication of the screen. The SMBIOS data has lots of useful information in it which I do have some code somewhere to decode. It will tell you how many expantion slots and what type are on the MB along with the ram sockets, type and even RAM chip serial numbers in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    I also collect this during startup, but as part of a larger workstation manager project (that's taking far too long... damn users )
    Yea, this is aprt of a much larger datasystem that includes helpdesk reporting and asset tracking but it is no wear near done unfourtunatly. I can only code for a short period of time before I loose interest.

Quote Originally Posted by amfony View Post
    why would you go this route when you could go service agent install on OCS? To each their own but the service route doesnt require any one to be logged on - but then again how often is a computer not logged on in an education evironment ...
    As this runs on startup it does not require anyone to logon and it is also all native which means that it is light and you don't need to install anything. It also means that they report in when they are avalible so you shouldn't miss any.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SYNACK; 27th February 2009 at 05:51 AM.

11. Thanks to SYNACK from:

kearton (27th February 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread