+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Offline File Sync"Access Denied" error message. in Technical; I'm surprised that this hasn't been done before (I did search, honest). If multiple users use the same computer and ...
    Thank Post

Offline File Sync"Access Denied" error message.

I'm surprised that this hasn't been done before (I did search, honest).

If multiple users use the same computer and have their home folders and My Documents folders redirected to a network share, a user receives an "Access denied" error message when the user logs off.
    This is because Windows is trying to sync files for another user that has used the computer, even though this is impossible and unwanted because you can't access the other user's files.

There seems to be no microsoft way of preventing it, other than manually asking windows not to sync particuar shares for each user (as described here: M$ KB )
    or setting up 'primary users' for each computer: (Here)

Is there anyway of telling windows to not display the error message at all? It is preventing automatic shutdown because it pauses for the user to close the dialogue. (On my laptop, it stops to tell me it's done it all correctly - what does it want? A pat on the head :x )

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,500 Posts

Re: Offline File Sync"Access Denied" error message.

We've had the same problem ever since we started using offline files on teachers laptops so what I tell them is to not let anyone else log onto it. There should be no need for anyone else to log onto their laptop anyway.

Ben

Thank Post

Re: Offline File Sync"Access Denied" error message.

Quote Originally Posted by plexer
    We've had the same problem ever since we started using offline files on teachers laptops so what I tell them is to not let anyone else log onto it.
    Blackadder: Baldrick, your solution to your mother's low roof was to chop of her head.

You'd probably benefit from the microsoft, primary users 'solution'; this is designed to allow occasional users log on without messing it all up.. You specify certain users in the registry and it will delete off line files for every one else. See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811660/en-us

I'm not, however, using it on teacher laptops. (As we hardly have any and they're not networked.). Our whiteboard PCs are wirelessly networked and I want to have offline files enabled so teachers (and there may be more than one teacher accessing a PC) can log on should the network fail (rare but possibly fatal if it happens to be the day ofsted are in). Also, teachers sometimes borrow pupil PCs to take home, and I want them to be able to use offline files there and not cause messages when the kids log on the next day.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread