+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Backup software for Windows Server Acronis vs Symantec in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Backup software for Windows Server Acronis vs Symantec

Hi

I am in the process of looking to replace our MIS server which hosts Facility CMIS and Eportal, as part of this I need to look at some new backup software which can backup to tape. Apparantly its an audit requirement that our MIS data is backed up onto tape as well and kept in a fire proof safe, on top of that we can backup to whatever we like but our MIS data has to be on tape.

I would like to purchase some backup software for our environment. On the current MIS system we use Veritas backup exec 9.0 which is very old and probably not the best in this day and age.

I made my mind up that I want to choose either a Acronis or Symantec solution but I'm not sure which to buy. I am looking at Acronis True Image Server which has function to backup and Symantec backup exec. I'm not sure which product is better.

This software will only backup our MIS data (SQL), I use the inbuilt facility in SQL2005 to backup of the SQL data, so would I need to buy the SQL addon for these products or can i get away with the standard server software?

If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to recommend if there is any software better than these two please recommend these also. I dont want to budget more than £400 for the software.

Also if anyone recommends a good tape hardware solution to compliment with this that would be great.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Novabackup (NovaStor - Smart Data Protection)
    Symantec Backupexec

Both with a SQL agent, otherwise you have to shut down the services to backup.

Note: I would store offsite, fire proof safe's aren't truely fire proof, let me know if you need an actual example.

Thank Post
    Running SIMS on an SQL 2005 server and I actually use both. Acronis TrueImage Echo Server takes a snapshot of the C: Partition and the partition with SIMS/SQL on this is then backed up onto tape using BackupExec (11d) with the SQL agent along with a second copy of the data and the rest of the data on that server.

Each of my server backs up the C:drive through Aconis and the rest of the data throuhg BE. Acronis means that I don't have to install Windows and BE if I need to restore a server.

Belt and Braces my son!

I would also suggest that you might not going to get BackupExec and the SQL agent for less that £400. The expensive bit is the SQL add on. If you can backup the database to file first or can live with some MIS downtime you won't need it. I personally think it's easier to have the SQL agent back up the DB every day.
    Last edited by Stuart_C; 19th February 2009 at 03:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi Ranj,

Acronis provide a very good support and are reliable.

Regarding the tape hardware solution I recommend HP:
    Tape Drives from HP StorageWorks

Thank Post

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora77 View Post
    Hi Ranj,

Acronis provide a very good support and are reliable.

Regarding the tape hardware solution I recommend HP:
    Tape Drives from HP StorageWorks
    +1 - I can do more than mirror this comment.

We use Acronis extensively in our school, works great for SQL, AD... you name it. Plus if you purchase the 'Universal Restore' option - you can perform bare-metal restores of hardware or even restore backups onto dissimilar hardware.

Az

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Acronis is very good, use it exte♠nsivley as often as needed. Just as, if not more importantly, their support is second to none - certainly puts Symantec well in the shade.

Sorry about the spade, 6 month old son on my lap and he likes playing with the mouse. So much so he knows a key combination on the mouse to print that spade character. No idea how but he manages it every time without fail.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 20th February 2009 at 05:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Arcserve here, excellent product.
    Moved away from Backup Exec, was a real pain in the backside to work with.

Thank Post
    It's a pity you are required to use tape..

We now use StorageCraft ShadowProtect (http://www.storagecraft.co.uk), preferred the "all-in-one" package (less expensive and bullet proof) as opposed to Acronis' "modules".

It's saved my company's bacon more than once...
    Last edited by Awfers; 18th June 2009 at 02:45 PM.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I'm slowly losing the praise for Symantec Backup Exec

and since Symantec changed the name of Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate Edtion to the new version Endpoint Protection - I've moved completely away from it! terrible bit of software now for business!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    @Ranj - Link2ICT do an offsite backup for MIS servers. I have this at all my sites and they do call if there were any backup problems over night.

I've recently started using BackupAssist which works with 2003/2008 R2 Server and also has an optional SQL add-on. There are big discounts for educational establishments. I personally think backup to tape is not that good, it's slow and expensive. A RAIDed NAS hosted in school outside your server room is the way to do it

Of course you should also have at least RAID1 or RAID5 on your MIS server for redundancy too.

Thank Post
    wow I thoiught this post was long forgotten.

Since that post we moved this CMIS server to the VMware cluster.

I have now since left the school so probably not relevant to me but maybe to someone else it might be helpful...

Thank Post
    I know it's outdated this post BUT a free solution, no need to purchase, just build a Centos Box and use Rsync it's easy!!!

All you do is mount your server onto a directory (using mount -t cifs) on your centos box then rsync that mapped drive to a folder on your server say "Backup" so for example then thats it your data is backed up you dont even need to install clients on win 7 machines if you where backing up your PC's you just mount the c$ and then rsync it across to your backup folder on your linux box.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Does rsync have full support for restoring ntfs acls?

Ben

Thank Post
    We have symantec at our place, (not my choice), its clunky, fails at the slightest thing and the new version needs a reg hack to backup a 300GB data partition onto a storage server. I'm plodding on with it for the time being and am hoping to be able to dump it for vDR when I virtualize our servers in the hopefully not to distant future.

Thank Post

a recommended backup software to tape

Our company is using easus todo backup advanced server to backup our database, and it supports to backup to tape and other storage devices. Since everything goes well, i would like to recommend it, BTW, it is not expensive, we are a small business and we can afford it. Maybe you can have a look. Goood luck!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread