+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, When will MS stop supporting XP in Technical; When is Microsoft withdrawing support for XP? I think that date will impact when we move to Vista/Window7....
    Thank Post

When will MS stop supporting XP

When is Microsoft withdrawing support for XP? I think that date will impact when we move to Vista/Window7.

Thank Post
    I've never had to ring MS up for any support issues.....

Virus writers will surely start to attack the "latest and greatest" offering from MS so you could argue XP will be at no more at risk in the future...

Personally we are going to skip VISTA altogether and will move to 7 only when we have to.....

Whatever happened to "if it aint broke don't fix it?"

Thank Post
    Perhaps support was the wrong word. What I intended to say is when will MS stop issuing XP security updates.

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    I don't think he meant actually ringing MS up. More like security updates etc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    When is Microsoft withdrawing support for XP? I think that date will impact when we move to Vista/Window7.
    April 2014. Hope that helps, Windows 7 will be out before that

-Ken

6. 2 Thanks to wagnerk:

diggory (12th February 2009), Jobos (11th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    AFAIK the date is April 2014. It's main stream support ends April this year with extended support ending 5 years later. I'm looking into moving to Windows 7 around 2011. Don't forget if your planning to migrate from XP to either Vista or Win7 then you'll probably want to migrate your DC's to Win2k8/R2 before you migrate the desktops. A job I hope to be getting into next year.

8. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Jobos (11th February 2009)

Thank Post
    What’s the difference between mainstream and extended support?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Once Simon has moved all of his machines off 98se to XP +5 years.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    What’s the difference between mainstream and extended support?
    Mainstream = any and all issues will be solved free of charge (ie. software bugs)
    Extended = security updates only.

12. Thanks to localzuk from:

Jobos (11th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Once Simon has moved all of his machines off 98se to XP +5 years.

I've only got one real win98 machine left and all it's used for is pips

Mind you, virtual Win98SE machines running on Dual Xeon processors are the proverbial canine spherical objects

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    IMHO XP security updates are not so much of an issue, older versions of windows have less market share and therefore less vulnerabilities (to use an argument that is often used against linux).

I think it is much more critical when MS stop supporting things like their .net framework or any other little addons that 3rd party applications have dependencies for. Of course, all good vendors use a platform neutral architecture but the rest of us still need to deal with crapita.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    XP will be like NT4 IMHO, it will live on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on (you get the picture) I still know of some firms using NT4 servers for back end stuff as they cannot justify the expense of upgrading custom software that was written years back that cost them many thousands at the time to write, so they just keep it going on the NT4 back end, the clients all work on XP and Vista fine its the back end thats doesn't like 2000 or 2003.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    IMHO XP security updates are not so much of an issue, older versions of windows have less market share and therefore less vulnerabilities (to use an argument that is often used against linux).

I think it is much more critical when MS stop supporting things like their .net framework or any other little addons that 3rd party applications have dependencies for. Of course, all good vendors use a platform neutral architecture but the rest of us still need to deal with crapita.
    Actually you're completely wrong! It takes around 30 SECONDS to completely compromise a Windows 2000 PC remotely, simply because the OS is so insecure. By compromise, I mean to have full, unrestricted local admin access.

Attackers fingerprint machines before attacking. This makes sense as you wouldn't want to be running XP eploits against a Linux machine, would you. The minute they detect an older, less secure OS you've made their lives SO much easier.

Add to that the fact that your network isn't a secure fortress anymore, and you're in serious trouble.

See, network security used to be like a castle keep. We'd have a portcullis, drawbridge, pots of hot oil, etc. protecting the ONLY access route in and out of the keep. Inside the keep everything was pretty much trusted.

With mobile broadband making inroads, and all manner of portable apps being carried into YOUR network, we can't use that model anymore. It's dead. Especially mobile broadband means students can open various other ways into and out of the network, at the drop of a hat.

Instead, network security has become more like modern city. Most people are good and honest, but there are thieves, robbers and even salespeople lurking about. As a result, we cannot treat the entire city as safe - it simply has too many entry and exit points to secure and most of those aren't under our control. Instead we have front door locks, and sometimes even safe rooms inside locked buildings.

Our security must become so much more granular, and therefore more complex. We must have a strategy that clearly defines what we are prepared to sacrifice, and what we'd defend almost at any cost, because we don't have the resources to defend everything.

In this environment security through OS geriatrics is not exactly the best way forward.

Do yourself a favour and run Nessus against your network, but from INSIDE. You may be worried when you see the results!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    XP will be like NT4 IMHO, it will live on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on (you get the picture) I still know of some firms using NT4 servers for back end stuff as they cannot justify the expense of upgrading custom software that was written years back that cost them many thousands at the time to write, so they just keep it going on the NT4 back end, the clients all work on XP and Vista fine its the back end thats doesn't like 2000 or 2003.
    And the good thing about NT4 is that OS/2 clients can see the data !!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamarside View Post
    Actually you're completely wrong! It takes around 30 SECONDS to completely compromise a Windows 2000 PC remotely, simply because the OS is so insecure. By compromise, I mean to have full, unrestricted local admin access.
    That's pretty bad - my bank runs networked windows 2000, and they are installed in nuclear submarines !

Quote Originally Posted by Tamarside View Post
    Do yourself a favour and run Nessus against your network, but from INSIDE. You may be worried when you see the results!
    done that, most of our network is linux and boots of a tftpserver, they effectively reimage each boot. I'm not too worried just yet.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast