+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Networked Laptops logging on issue, Possible profile problem in Technical; Hi, We seem to be having problems with some laptops not loading users profile. Here is the problem User a ...

Thank Post

Networked Laptops logging on issue, Possible profile problem

Hi, We seem to be having problems with some laptops not loading users profile.

Here is the problem
    User a logs onto the laptop everything is fine, User a then logs back off, and decides they want to log back onto the laptop, when they log back on it seems to hang just after the applying computer settings. When i check the event viewer it gives me a Source crypt32 errer ID 8.

This isnt just for one user, iv tested on users from students to domain admins and all seem to have this problem

Any idea's or if you need more information please ask.

The laptops are windows xp pro sp2 also tested with sp3

Thank Post

Wink

Looks like a root certificate problem have a look at this Microsoft Knowledge base article.

Event ID 8 is logged in the Application log

Good luck.

Thank Post
    its the same user logging back on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezwick View Post
    Looks like a root certificate problem have a look at this Microsoft Knowledge base article.

Event ID 8 is logged in the Application log

Good luck.
    Thanks for that i looked at the article but doesnt seem to be connected with the issue im having at the moment, but i did what it told me to and stoped the update root certificate. but still getting the same problem

Thank Post
    It might be worth disabling all of your group policies and having a user logon to see if the problem goes away!! If it does re-enable them one by one until the problem comes back ...

Thank Post
    HI

I dont know if this will help but I have had sorts of issues with laptops logging on over the years and some of the following might be worth checking.

Check that the wifi uses the windows wifi settings and not the manufacturers own program was the windows one starts up before logging on and the manufacturers only start once you have logged on which is hard as you cannot log on correctly as you dont have a wifi connection.

Try logging on as you then log off and log on as a user log off the user, and log back on as the user. If you dont get and problems this could mean its a connectivity problem as above but to check it restart the machine and log on as the same user. If you now get the error its a connectivity problem.

Just an idea.

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Is the user's profile still on the machine?
    yes it still on the machine although i think it keeps ignornig it. If when it does log back on the nav menu is at the top of the screen and seems to be the default settings even thouhg iv changed it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    HI

I dont know if this will help but I have had sorts of issues with laptops logging on over the years and some of the following might be worth checking.

Check that the wifi uses the windows wifi settings and not the manufacturers own program was the windows one starts up before logging on and the manufacturers only start once you have logged on which is hard as you cannot log on correctly as you dont have a wifi connection.

Try logging on as you then log off and log on as a user log off the user, and log back on as the user. If you dont get and problems this could mean its a connectivity problem as above but to check it restart the machine and log on as the same user. If you now get the error its a connectivity problem.

Just an idea.

Richard
    Thanks Richard, i thought of this before and i totally disabled wireless connection and am using wired connection and still not having anyoff it.

Even when i disconnect from the network and try and logon it gives the same problems.

This is soooo Annoying

Thank Post
    Ok abit of an update, iv just created a local user on the laptop called test, this account is a admin account. I logon to the machine itself not the domain for the first time and it takes around 3-4mins to create a profile and log it on (to me that seems slightly too long) once again i log the machine off and try log back on and exactly the same problem. Machine wont show a desktop or anything.

Thank Post
    Did you solve it as I am now having the same problem on all of my machines for the student accounts. We did just deploy IE7 could that have something to do with it? Also a fix that can be deployed from the server would be nice as I dont fancy visiting each of my machines.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread