+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Error Message Windows cannot find RECYCLER in Technical; Originally Posted by tavvy2005 i found a way to fix it :X. I had the same problem...try to download autorun ...

Thank Post

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tavvy2005 View Post
    i found a way to fix it :X. I had the same problem...try to download autorun eater from download.com install it, and it will search and remove the problems.
    Thanks You, saved me!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke_M_All View Post
    I know this is a dead thread, but they come up when searching so I wanted to post what helped me in case someone else finds this that needs help.

DMcCoy is right, it is walware, and even if your AV catches it, it will leave an autorun file for not only the c drive but any device plugged in. It even transfered via my home wireless, into devices that were plugged into my other computers, including my Blackberry (or any phone that can transfer files), thumb drives, portable hdd's, memory cards, EVEN into my digital video camera!

To get rid of it plug in all your drives and devices, and scan all drives with Malwarebytes AV, and then run Autorun Eater.

Currently the links to get either software are:

Malwarebytes = Malwarebytes.org

Autorun Eater 2.3 = Autorun Eater software download - CNET Downloads

Hope this helps someone in the future like an old thread did for me!
    Good luck!
    sry, this piece of software seems to be plastered anywhere i go. with very unrealistic answers from many people..
    i dunno about you peeps, but stuffing something like autorun eater on my pc sounds like a bad idea.

Thank Post
    AS Nuke_M_All said it is mal ware that has caused it just recently got a message simular to this on my system and it did infect all the drives on the PC, even after a restore using maxblasts version of acronis of the C drive sill had it on the d: and e: drives.

If you open and allow viewing of hidden system files on the drives you will see a hidden auto run file on the root of all the drives after opening these files with notepad you see where they link to. Useing unlocker assistant and a wee bit of foot work on the drives you can remove them manualy.

Here is what was posted in the auto run file.
    Code:
    [autorun]
    ;vrgxakxlokezvkvljzykmbyybdsskqanozssjosdsnggskwcghhszyitfp
    shellexecute="RECYCLER\S-4-9-78-100028107-100003638-100023492-7274.com d:\"
    ;fjkpsyxlnrmuwdeuqf
    shell\Open\command="RECYCLER\S-4-9-78-100028107-100003638-100023492-7274.com d:\"
    ;kkbvdlghqjusosurwjlvjgfacagzqeaigelvbzpgziwqpixeyskpzcpmebncyhqykdrbxyianhluoqjthsyvvdmzuqvjcvkhmnbultk
    shell=Open
    As you can see a real piece of work

Oh well a bit of a chanllenge I guess. I suspect I got it while searching for an old app that is no longer offered. And I still haven't found it.

But like some one else said I came to this thread and registered just to say

THANK YOU ALL

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just to add to this, some variants of Conficker are using the RECYCLER folder to hide their executable files. For instance, cleansing a USB pen infected with Conficker is easily done via a linux live CD, chmod 777 on the recycler folder to delete that and also the autorun.inf file. Of course many other variants just put .exe files in the root with the autorun inf file, but I'm seeing increased amounts of both dotted around various sites. The same goes for the RECYCLER folder on the C: drive, however obviously you do NOT want to be deleting that.

Thank Post
    This thread really become a life saver guys as it solved all my problems,i also have just joined just to say thanks,Nuke Em all-your a star!
    Hi everyone bye the way!

Thank Post

Recycle/s 9-4- error

You guys are so resourceful.
    I was having this problem. Now I consider myself intermediate with a computer, but whoever designed this Autorun Eater is pure genius.

I started to have this problem after I tried to install a program. After deleting the program this recycles error began to show up. I restored my factory programs back onto the drive. However the recycles message began showing up again.

Anywho this works, so thanks.

AND BY THE WAY, THE RECYCLE/S ERROR SPREADS LIKE A VIRUS. I PUT MY MEMORY CARD into my pc AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THERE WAS A RECYCLES FOLDER IN IT. I DELETED THE FOLDER; however, it continued to come up. So the person above is right, it spreads to other drives.
    Last edited by Dustbunnies; 9th June 2009 at 09:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Excellent thread. Great help to me. Thanks for the help.

Dave

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To add a little more to this thread as it's being rather useful.

They don't usually use the actual Recycler folder, often they actually create other folders like RECYCLED, RECYCLE.BIN, and recently I've found a few instances of $RECYCLE.BIN. However, some of these can actually be real, so beware if using RM servers, 3rd party undeletion software and what not.

Plenty of methods to turn off Autorun using the registry - however a nice easy one for the day to day user is to create a *folder* called Autorun.inf - create it on your C drive and USB pens - it'll prevent malicious software from overwriting it.

Make sure everything is patched up to date anyway, and I won't bother to say keep your AV up to date, that's just common sense

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Good man, pull up a chair, we don't bite :]
    small print reads - as long as its not an apple mac hahaha

Thank Post

awesome! it worked..:)

Quote Originally Posted by tavvy2005 View Post
    i found a way to fix it :X. I had the same problem...try to download autorun eater from download.com install it, and it will search and remove the problems.
    Been having all kinds of issues today and when i thought i had finally dealt with them, i discovered i couldn't get into my external hard drive (after removing what i guess is called the 'shortcut virus'). I googled the message it gave me and that led me here. Read through until i saw taavy's message; did what he said and it worked instantly. So happy after being so frustrated. Thanks taavy and thanks to this forum.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Once I have done the anti malware ( anti virus / anti spyware ) using aformentioned tools / utils ie malware bytes, spybot search and destroy, super anti spyware and whichever AV you use I then look at :

Relevant registry files are normally located on kellys corner ( Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP ), I also tend to use tweak UI ( Tweak UI for Windows XP ) , think there was also an issue with the recycler always appearing full or empty even though it has items in the recycle bin.

Had to use the

RMDIR command to forcefully and silently remove the recycler directory ( c:\recycler )

Am aware this is an old thread but just thought the above might help

Thank Post
    its either virus or malware, i had this problem ages ago on my home pc and had to format disk at the end...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12