+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, 64 bit servers in Technical; Hi, I'd get a HPDL380G5 server. Best selling server world wide and for a good reason! Not a mammoth beast, ...

Thank Post
    Hi, I'd get a HPDL380G5 server. Best selling server world wide and for a good reason! Not a mammoth beast, but a superb server that supports twin quads, up to 64gb RAM, 8 x 2.5" HDD bays. I paid abou 5k for mine, but I have 5460 CPU, 32gb RAM and 8 x 146gb 10k rpm SAS drives, dual controllers for RAID 1 and RAID 10.

You could underspec this for your tests and fannying around with the knowledge that you can utilise this server with a bit more cash thrown at it when required. If you are goin to virtualize, you will be spending some serious bucks on a couple of servers anyway.

I have been playing with ESXi for a couple of weeks and although costly when you want to virtualise properly, well worth the money. Hyper-v just doesn't cut it quite yet, I'm sure it will given the same amount of development time as VMware have had, but from what I have read, the costs of VMware and hyper-v are fairly similar when all the features are included.

Need to look at a SAN if implementing seriously and failover and resilience are to be included. Hope that helps

Oh, and to your question I have installed w2k8 x64 but done nothing with it except play with terminal services, but seems fine...though not much of a test!
    Last edited by leegcvcc; 7th February 2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention......

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Try doing a side by side benchmark test...
    As PeterW stated (better than I did) the 3xxx series are Core 2 Duo's with Xeon branding. The 5xxx series is when it becomes more noticeable. Quad Core Xeon with 12MB L2 cache, however this is when virtualisation isn't so viable. The price of the X5460 is 1000. It just isn't worth it at all.

I highly doubt garethedmondson will go for this with a 3000 budget, so instead of buying lower end Xeon, Core 2 Duo is slightly cheaper and is the same CPU.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    As PeterW stated (better than I did) the 3xxx series are Core 2 Duo's with Xeon branding. The 5xxx series is when it becomes more noticeable. Quad Core Xeon with 12MB L2 cache, however this is when virtualisation isn't so viable. The price of the X5460 is 1000. It just isn't worth it at all.

I highly doubt garethedmondson will go for this with a 3000 budget, so instead of buying lower end Xeon, Core 2 Duo is slightly cheaper and is the same CPU.
    Huh? I bought a HP DL360G5 dual quad core Xeon 5440 server with 16GB ram and dual 146GB hard discs (ok they may be a bit small) for about 3k. Why would you pay 1000 for a processor?
    Last edited by localzuk; 7th February 2009 at 07:01 PM.

Thank Post
    For sure he could get a dual Quad core system with 8GB or more for that kind money depending what kind of disk configuration he wants/needs.

Also be aware that Xeon 3500 series (Nehalem) and Xeon 5500 series (Nehalem-EP) processors/systems will be launching next month.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12