+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, App-V 4.5 in Technical; Anyone got this \ using it on their network? I've been following this since Microsoft demoed it as Softgrid in ...
    Thank Post

App-V 4.5

Anyone got this \ using it on their network? I've been following this since Microsoft demoed it as Softgrid in Reading a year or so back and it looks like it could make life a lot easier... no more app deployments to worry about

Only thing I'm wondering is whether it'll work the same for all apps or whether the streaming in reality only works well with the well known "large" programs.

Could be an easy way for us to be able to give stuff like Google Earth, GIMP etc to tutors if they need it as a one-off rather than not being able to do it at the moment (wouldn't want Google Earth on the main image )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Im not using it yet but from what I can tell if you find that programs are to large to be streaming bits of there is an option to just send the whole program to the required computer before it's required anyway

looks like a very good time saver to me

Thank Post
    I was speeking to someone from an LEA who'd implemented in at BETT. The biggest issues are caused by any software that installs drivers. He was aware of one school using it with SIMS.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I too have been looking into this. I've used some of the free downloads made with the VMWare version, ThanApp. Very good idea. I believe you need Software Assurance to be able to get hold of App-V.

I'd be interested in knowing how much the 'Microsoft Desktop Optomisation Pack for Software Assurance', which includes App-V costs. E-mailed my License supplier a few times but never got an answer

I'm due to start upgrading the Server OS next year, probably Win2k8 with SA ready for Win2k8-R2. As I'll have SA then, I might see if I can get a copy with it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing how much the 'Microsoft Desktop Optomisation Pack for Software Assurance', which includes App-V costs. E-mailed my License supplier a few times but never got an answer
    Microsoft Desktop Optomisation Pack is about 2.50 per machine on anual subscription

at that to the 27.50 for Microsoft Desktop for Schools and you have a nice 30 per computer per year - easy maths then (if you know how many computers you have)
    Last edited by DAckroyd; 3rd February 2009 at 10:42 AM.

6. Thanks to DAckroyd from:

tmcd35 (3rd February 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I tried to pack 2007 but its a little techy, I am hoping the next release will be better.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAckroyd View Post
    Microsoft Desktop Optomisation Pack is about 2.50 per machine on anual subscription

at that to the 27.50 for Microsoft Desktop for Schools and you have a nice 30 per computer per year - easy maths then (if you know how many computers you have)
    That's nearly 10k per year That's also that idea completely out the window! I have enough problems agreeing budget to upgrade Office/Windows!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    That's nearly 10k per year That's also that idea completely out the window! I have enough problems agreeing budget to upgrade Office/Windows!
    Microsoft Desktop for schools is the SA for Windows, Office and most of the CALs you'll need

I don't know if M$ D4S is required with the MDOP or not

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ahh, so you have that on the Schools Agreement! I thought you just needed Software Assurance on a Select Agreement. If that's the case then thats about 750 per year here. More realistic and could probably hide that in the budget somewhere nearer the time!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    I was speeking to someone from an LEA who'd implemented in at BETT. The biggest issues are caused by any software that installs drivers. He was aware of one school using it with SIMS.
    Ahar, so you managed to have a speak with Chris Page at BETT then did we? That would be my school you are talking about that is using it for SIMS

It is an absolutely fantastic piece of software, makes deploying any applications, and upgrading them an absolute snap. We currently have circa 200 programs availabe through it (and have 3 which we are unable to deploy with it, successmaker, digital blue movie creator and dartfish.)

In response to the OP, streaming will work with any application, but it is especially useful for large apps. Office 2007 for instance is over 2 gig in size, but you can get from no Word/Excel/Powerpoint on the workstation to a usable app in about 30 seconds.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

Matt

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread