+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, A couple of other niggles! in Technical; Sorry to keep bombarding you all with petty problems but my day starts at 6:15am and I have around an ...

Thank Post

A couple of other niggles!

Sorry to keep bombarding you all with petty problems but my day starts at 6:15am and I have around an hour before staff come in and expect everything to be working. I then have at least 18 contact lessons a week and I'm the primary first-aider, so often I have to stop what I'm doing and hot-foot it to an incident.

So, any guidance that can be offered that points me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

We have our 70 nice new ultra small computers installed and both ICT Suites are now open for business. There are three niggles at present that I need to address:

1. Sometimes the server doesn't recognise a computer. If I change from domain to workgroup and back again, that fixes it.

2. When logging on, some computers can hang, this appears to be Explorer. I've disabled Task Manager in student group policies, so they have to reboot. I think I'll allow Task Manager for the time being.

3. If a user tries to run an Office program by opening a file, the Office program opens but the file doesn't load. Opening the file again works. This is only on random computers posibly 25%.

We have Procurve switches with 100mb to the computers and 1gb fibre backbones. The server is a fairly ancient Viglen LX which will be replaced when funds are available.

Potentially, we now have twice as many computers logging on simultaneously and I suspect this might be the problem but I don't want to say a new server will fix it and be proved wrong.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Sorry to keep bombarding you all with petty problems but my day starts at 6:15am and I have around an hour before staff come in and expect everything to be working. I then have at least 18 contact lessons a week and I'm the primary first-aider, so often I have to stop what I'm doing and hot-foot it to an incident.
    Can appreciate the problem, I used to be the First Aider but insisted on the school getting more so I could concentrate on my primary role.
    3. If a user tries to run an Office program by opening a file, the Office program opens but the file doesn't load. Opening the file again works. This is only on random computers posibly 25%.
    I have this issue also, it is mostly with trying to open Office 2003 files in Office 2007. I haven't found a fix but I'm still looking as it is very annoying.

Can empathise but not of much help sorry.

3. Thanks to leco from:

laserblazer (31st January 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    I have this issue also, it is mostly with trying to open Office 2003 files in Office 2007. I haven't found a fix but I'm still looking as it is very annoying.

Can empathise but not of much help sorry.
    Interesting, these are mainly 2000 files into 2003. In which case it should be less of a problem with time.

Thank Post
    Interesting, these are mainly 2000 files into 2003. In which case it should be less of a problem with time.
    Ah yes very interesting, if the issue is with different versions of files might be solved when all files are the same version. However, the basic underlying what might be termed bug continues.

Thank Post
    2. When logging on, some computers can hang, this appears to be Explorer. I've disabled Task Manager in student group policies, so they have to reboot. I think I'll allow Task Manager for the time being.
    We had this - it's something to do with Sophos (I assume you are inflicted with this "software"). Couldnt solve it, no matter what image. Thankfully as we move to Vista this problem does not appear to be happening on Vista machines.

7. Thanks to Oops_my_bad from:

laserblazer (31st January 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks Oops, always good to be able to blame it on something else. I think I mentioned in another thread that I can't get the Sophos Management Console to work so all the computers are updating on-line. That's quite an overhead and maybe what's causing it.

Thank Post

1. Sometimes the server doesn't recognise a computer. If I change from domain to workgroup and back again, that fixes it.
    Did you create an image of your own for these machines, if so did you run SysPrep or the new SID tool? If you havent I suggest you run the new SID tool on each machine and re add them to the domain which should solve the problem.

Thank Post
    I ran sysprep.

Thank Post
    Well in the answer to number 2, We had this problem at first we thought this was down to sophos but after removing it on a few machines the problem continued, but after really running out of options we resorted to doing a full bios update on all the machines and this stopped them hanging when logging on, no idea why it was causing it but its something to try.
    And well number 3, we had this a few times clearing that persons profile seemed to clear up the problem although now we have acually moved over to open office and dont have any of these problems.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    We had this - it's something to do with Sophos (I assume you are inflicted with this "software"). Couldnt solve it, no matter what image. Thankfully as we move to Vista this problem does not appear to be happening on Vista machines.
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. When I was investigating this I got as far as the auto update icon in the taskbar (I was probably called away to fix a projector or something which is why I never quite got round to finishing it)

I was going to try disabling the icon as I suspect this may have something to do with it (dont worry, your PC's will continue to update and be protected its just the icon that will be disabled). This is something I have to do on Citrix anyway:

To disable the Sophos AutoUpdate shield do the following:

Browse to "C:\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Config" and open 'imon.cfg' into notepad. Change the value of:
    AllowMonitorToRun = 1
    to
    AllowMonitorToRun = 0

Deploy this modified file to overwrite the existing imon.cfg on your PC's, or a handful of PCs if you want to test it.

Don't just remove the program from all users start menu -> startup as I have found it can re-instate itself after an update!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread