+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Microsoft Dreamspark in Technical; Originally Posted by AngryTechnician I looked at doing this but the process for setting us up as an IDP didn't ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I looked at doing this but the process for setting us up as an IDP didn't seem very straightforward. How easy is it in real terms?
    Not very, you have to open your information up, the setup is a nightmare as well, but well worth it, if you've got a few hours to spare, its not that hard.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    Not very, you have to open your information up, the setup is a nightmare as well, but well worth it, if you've got a few hours to spare, its not that hard.
    there is more information on joining Shibboleth from these links at Becta:
    ]Becta Schools - Leadership and Management - Introduction - Federated access management

Quote Originally Posted by dhicks
    anyway - if you wanted a C compiler couldn't you just go and download one?
    yes, but then we'd end up with a generation of OSS programmers who would share their labours with the community - how would that help MS?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    They're only development tools, anyway - if you wanted a C compiler couldn't you just go and download one?
    It's a bit more than just a compiler but if that's all you need then you can certainly save yourself a shed load of disc space!

Thank Post
    We signed up a few weeks ago but havnt been asked to fax our details anywhere yet, hopefully it'll come through soon.

We dont currently teach anything that involves most of the software on offer but I thought it would be a good idea to offer it to the kids anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts

Thumbs up

Just a follow-up on this: I signed our school up using the new Microsoft DreamSpark High School beta system. About a week or so later I got an email through asking to fax or email a scan of some confirmation details on school headed paper, and 2 days later we got 200 unique codes to distribute to individual students to allow them to sign up. Works a treat.

Thank Post
    As a computer science student I use it mainly for Visual Studio which is fantastic. I know it's a hook to get you using Microsoft products but when you already do, what's the harm?

Thank Post
    None of the kids here are bothered that they're using Microsoft software...

Oddly enough, even the three kids who never STFU about "when are you going to linux", I just ask how the Microsoft software is going for them now

Can I nick 31 licenses out of my current 200 batch and install them on college PC's?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPerceptron View Post
    None of the kids here are bothered that they're using Microsoft software...

Oddly enough, even the three kids who never STFU about "when are you going to linux", I just ask how the Microsoft software is going for them now

Can I nick 31 licenses out of my current 200 batch and install them on college PC's?
    Before DreamSpark became available to High Schools through the Beta we got Microsoft to give us an Academic Alliance licence. This means we can install software in lab environments. Well my classroom is a lab environment so we now have VS2008 on our machines. We asked if we could do this and they said we could.

I don't think DreamSpark allows this.

GJE
    Last edited by garethedmondson; 27th February 2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: typos

Thank Post
    I just signed up for this looks good to me, downloaded a couple of progs, mainly the VS2008 is the one that interests me. Time to make some rubbish software I think the licences are single install single activation, I emailed re this and they confirmed that it could only be installed on one PC at a time.

Thank Post
    Signed up for this last night, but after reading posts I'm expecing to have to fax some details across.

We've gone for the full 200 keys (why not?!) but I assume only a couple of six formers will be interested. The software they offer though is fantastic.

When my wife was doing her masters at UCE a few years we had access to MSDN Academic Alliance - I still have the keys - they offered pretty much the same, but with Windows Vista. I managed to get Vista Business on corporate release day.

People do bang Microsoft, but schemes like this are particularly generous - it's just a shame they force schools to pay so much for licensing costs. IMHO we are using the software to teach and train, not to make a profit, ergo it should be free.

Will let you know how it progresses.

BTW - I know Birmingham Grid for Learning are listed but you need to sign into myvle, which we do not use? Has anyone managed to confirm their account through the central system? I did email Service Birmingham about this, but they blew so much hot air I gave up!

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes I know this site...........

Signed up today
    Last edited by IanT; 17th August 2010 at 08:45 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12