+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Windows Thread, Annoying Virus (confick-E) in Technical; This b*****d of a virus made a comeback today, think we found a few machines that Sophos hasn't been updating ...
    Thank Post
    This b*****d of a virus made a comeback today, think we found a few machines that Sophos hasn't been updating recently.

Hopefully we should be ok, been a crappy few day today.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This virus has made the local news here on Norfolk!

EDP24 - Norfolk schools hit by computer virus

Five secondary schools and the PDC hit! The main secondary school mentioned in the article, Thorpe St Andrew, was my old place. I've been back over the past week to help them eradicate it.

It's quite a vicious virus. Once it's in, it's there to stay.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    It's quite a vicious virus. Once it's in, it's there to stay.

Tell me about it, thought I got rid of it last week.

How you been hitting it??

Thank Post
    How do you put the tool in the start up script?

We run batch files on start up so i assumened it would be easy but found some code but doesn't seem to be working

Code:
    on error resume next

Dim StrServer
    Dim StrShare
    Dim StrComputer
    Dim objFSO
    Dim objLogFile
    Dim objFSO2
    Dim objLogFile2
    Dim objFSO3
    Dim WshNetwork
    Dim WshShell
    Dim WshEnv
    Dim objSystemInfo
    Dim OpSysSet

StrServer = "10.177.0.15" 
    StrShare = "downanup"

set wshnetwork = CreateObject("wscript.network")
    StrComputer = wshnetwork.computername
    set wshnetwork = nothing

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set objLogFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile("\\" & StrServer & "\" & StrShare & "\" & StrComputer & ".txt", 8, True)
    objLogFile.Write("F-Secure Trojan/Worm Scan started at " & now() & " ") 
    objLogFile.Writeline

Set objFSO3 = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

If objFSO3.FileExists("c:\fsmrt.exe") Then

objLogFile.Write("Application File already in place") 
    objLogFile.Writeline

Else

objLogFile.Write("Copying FSMRT File to " & StrComputer) 
    objLogFile.Writeline
    objFSO3.CopyFile "\\" & StrServer & "\" & StrShare & "\fsmrt.exe", "c:\"

End If

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Set WshEnv = WshShell.Environment("PROCESS")

WshEnv("SEE_MASK_NOZONECHECKS") = 1

Return = WshShell.Run("c:\fsmrt.exe >>\\" & StrServer & "\" & StrShare & "\" & StrComputer &".txt", 0, true)

WshEnv.Remove("SEE_MASK_NOZONECHECKS")

Set objSystemInfo = CreateObject("ADSystemInfo") 
    Set OpSysSet = GetObject("winmgmts:{(Shutdown)}//" & StrComputer & "/root/cimv2").ExecQuery("select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where Primary=true")

For each OpSys in OpSysSet

If Return = 10 Or Return = 1 Then

Set objFSO2 = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set objLogFile2 = objFSO2.OpenTextFile("\\" & StrServer & "\" & StrShare & "\Cleared.txt", 8, True)
    objLogFile2.Write("Trojan/Worm Found ... Item cleaned " & StrComputer & " rebooted at " & now() & " ") 
    objLogFile2.Writeline

objLogFile.Write("Trojan/Worm Found ... Item cleaned " & StrComputer & " rebooted at " & now() & " ") 
    objLogFile.Writeline

OpSys.Reboot()

ElseIf Return = 2 Then

Set objLogFile2 = objFSO3.OpenTextFile("\\" & StrServer & "\" & StrShare & "\Infected.txt", 8, True)
    objLogFile2.Write("Trojan/Worm Found ... Cannot clean " & StrComputer & " Shutdown at " & now() & " ") 
    objLogFile2.Writeline

objLogFile.Write("Trojan/Worm Found ... Cannot clean " & StrComputer & " Shutdown at " & now() & " ") 
    objLogFile.Writeline

opSys.Win32Shutdown(5)

Else

Set objLogFile2 = objFSO3.OpenTextFile("\\" & StrServer & "\" & StrShare & "\Clean.txt", 8, True)
    objLogFile2.Write("Nothing found on " & StrComputer & " ... Ending Scan at " & now() & " ") 
    objLogFile2.Writeline

objLogFile.Write("Nothing found on " & StrComputer & " ... Ending Scan at " & now() & " ") 
    objLogFile.WriteLine

End If

Next

Set objLogFile2 = nothing
    Set objLogFile = nothing
    Set objFSO3 = nothing
    Set objFSO2 = nothing
    Set objFSO = nothing
    Set WshShell = Nothing

Also does it slow boot up? how much by?

Thank Post
    Bump I need the solution urgently

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    Bump I need the solution urgently
    Ok, I think this would be the right method. If anyone notices a mistake, then please correct me. Copy the contents of the quoted text, and paste into notepad. Save the notepad document as "MyScript.vbs". The speech marks are important, as they stop notepad appending .txt to the end.

On your domain controller, if you have the group policy management console installed, click Start, Run and enter gpmc.msc. This launches the management tool. All your workstations should be contained in an organisational unit, such as 'workstations', or possibly a bunch of OU's, such as 'Room1', 'Room2'. Locate the correct organisational unit, and right click on it, and select 'Create and Link a GPO Here'. This creates a new group policy object, linked to the stations in that OU. Give that group policy object a descriptive name.

Now you need to configure the GPO. In the right hand side, the new GPO should appear. Right click on this, and click Edit. Expand the Computer Configuration node, followed by Windows Settings, and click on 'Scripts'. In the right hand pane, double click on 'Startup'. A properties box should appear. On here there will be a button labelled 'Show Files'. Click on this, and windows explorer will open, at the location where you need to place your startup script. Copy the .vbs file into here, and close the window. Next, click on the 'Add' button on the startup properties sheet. Either type in the name of the script, or browse to it using the browse button. Close all open windows, and click Start, Run and type gpupdate. This will update the group policies. Your clients should then run the script on startup.

However, before doing all this, test the script works OK in your environment. Log on to a workstation, get the script, and double click it to run it, and observe that it doesn't break anything. If everything seems OK, try a couple more, and when you feel sure enough, set it with group policy.

Best of luck

Maria

Maz
    Thank Post
    Just a heads up to anyone who has / had the virus, check your scheduled tasks - it seems to create files named "At1" "At2" etc. Simply deleting these files do the trick, we also disabled the Task Scheduler service aswell.

Also could anyone else tell me if there virus has created new services. I've seen a few new ones popping up and can't seem to get rid of them. A few keywords that they use are 'Network', 'Security', 'Center Time', and 'System'.

These services also steal a random description from one of the other legitamite services that are running, it's pathetic when you reliase a name you haven't seen - look at the description and it has nothing to do with the service name.

Service Name: "Center Time"
    Description: Provides automatic IPv6 connectivity over an IPv4 network. If this service is stopped, the machine will only have IPv6 connectivity if it is connected to a native IPv6 network.

Oh rly?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maz View Post
    Also could anyone else tell me if there virus has created new services. I've seen a few new ones popping up and can't seem to get rid of them. A few keywords that they use are 'Network', 'Security', 'Center Time', and 'System'.
    Yeah, this was mentioned a couple of pages back in this post. If the service isn't removed I'm fairly confident that the scheduled tasks will get recreated when you enable the Task Scheduler service again.

I'd recommend the MS article for further advice on this.

Thank Post

Also have it.

We have this virus also, but got 6 pages to read through now on how to remove it cheers guys :P We thinking of holding out till the easter break before removal, just becuase they cannot do without the network for a day.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xeroxxe View Post
    We have this virus also, but got 6 pages to read through now on how to remove it cheers guys :P We thinking of holding out till the easter break before removal, just becuase they cannot do without the network for a day.
    Are you not getting annoyed by the locked out user accounts, or have you not suffered that yet?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xeroxxe View Post
    I managed to get rid of it without bringing the network down.

Send out the patch, firstly patch the servers, and make sure everyone has up to date virus, send down Microsoft Malcious Software remover as a startup script. (slows down logging in, but required)

Also I used wireshark to watch for dodgy packets around the network, this helped me track down a couple of machines that were unpatched.

Also make sure you do not log in as administrator in any machines you think are infected this will allow it to spread again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayatollah Pies View Post
    Are you not getting annoyed by the locked out user accounts, or have you not suffered that yet?
    The lockouts were a PITA, luckly it only got on our admin network so locked out around 80 accounts.

Would have locked out 700 on the pupil.

Thank Post

No we have not

No we have not yet had accounts locked up, we have however had a significantly slower network last few working days due to the virus. It congests the network horribly, to be honest at the moment getting the pens sorted would be a good start, I mean I have seen a few teachers now bring it in on their pen drive and a couple of them were admin :S

Thank Post
    I'd personally be nervous about leaving it until Easter with 1 April coming up.

If you follow the MS article you should be able to contain it from spreading further, patch it, then remove it. I'm not yet convinced that it is absolutely necessary to shutdown to cleanse yourself of the infection.

As AP suggests, it can bring unpatched computers to a stop as I'm pretty sure we've seen it stop more than just the update service.
    Last edited by meastaugh1; 23rd March 2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    To those getting page not found for some sophos tools etc. the virus actively blocks anti-virus sites so you cannot download these cleanup tools etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast