+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Windows Thread, Student Naming Convention in Technical; Originally Posted by ittech We use a00001, a00002, a00003... and put them in an OU called Students_2002 showing their year ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ittech View Post
    We use a00001, a00002, a00003... and put them in an OU called Students_2002 showing their year of entry. Then b00001, b00002 ect in OU Students_2003.

I don't see any need to link the username to an admission number or something like that. Its just a user name.
    Except when you start writing code to extract timetable info from your MIS database for the logged on user, in which case you'd need some sort of directory for translating between MIS and AD, so you get the detail for the correct user.
    Ditto when you start automating user account & Exchange mailbox creation based on values entered into your MIS byadmin staff.

I don't mean to sound condascending here, but the unique MIS number is pivotal in automating so many things.

There's also the issue of monitoring. If my logs show a specific account tried to access a bypass site then I can easily determine the person from the user name, and I can just as easily check their timetable.

We use a password reset utility that also links with the MIS system and displays a photo of the student whose password we're changing. This is because we don't know the names of all our 1200+ students. This photo feature allows us to check that the student resetting the password is the right person and not simply trying to access another student's account.

This functionality also relies on us using the MIS number.

For those that want user accounts not to reveal the age or identity of students, you can simply use ONLY the MIS admission number. Personally I don't like that idea as it truly will ensure students are just a number, when I prefer to see them as people.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    Thanks srochford

I will defenitly look into this!

there's a windows command "Subinacl" which will definately help with the setting of security on multiple files. (If you've not seen it)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ittech View Post
    We use a00001, a00002, a00003... and put them in an OU called Students_2002 showing their year of entry. Then b00001, b00002 ect in OU Students_2003.

I don't see any need to link the username to an admission number or something like that. Its just a user name.
    Well, yes, but a username must be unique because it's the thing that identifies the user to the network. Given that pretty much everyone here will be using some kind of database to hold details of their users then it makes sense to just borrow the unique key from that system.

As @tamarside says, there are so many occasions when you want to link the data in AD (or whatever directory you use) back to the student data that leaving out that key field just makes extra (and unnecessary work) for you later.

I do understand that some people don't like to be referred to as numbers but sometimes I think that technical benefits outweigh "niceness"

Thank Post
    We use c (for Coombe) year of entry (i.e. year 7 this year is 08) first initial, first 5 letters of surname, and a number.

e.g. Joe Bloggs in year 7 is c08jbloggs1

Quote Originally Posted by Tamarside View Post
    We use a password reset utility that also links with the MIS system and displays a photo of the student whose password we're changing. This is because we don't know the names of all our 1200+ students. This photo feature allows us to check that the student resetting the password is the right person and not simply trying to access another student's account.
    Tamarside, Can you send me some info on this, it sounds like a really good idea. Is it commercial/opensource, or did you write it yourself? Do you actually sync SIMS with AD?

Thanks

David

Thank Post
    We use the the expected year of graduation, underscore, surnamefirstinitial.

So for a kid graduating this year 09_bloggsj. as far as i know there has only been one instance in 4 years that caused an issue where there was twins with the same first initial. this was resolved by adding middle initial as well.

Thank Post
    Tamarside, Can you send me some info on this, it sounds like a really good idea. Is it commercial/opensource, or did you write it yourself? Do you actually sync SIMS with AD?

Thanks

David
    It is something I had written myself. We use CMIS instead of SIMS and CMIS relies on a folder containing images of our students. The images are named according to the students' admission numbers. making it very easy to match with an AD user account.

While currently containing a hard-coded path, I can modify it to instead look at a path it read from a .INI file, so it'd be more configurable. Equally I can mod it to read AD values from the same .INI, so it will work on other networks, but there is still the issue of mapping usernames to images. Obviously that depends on the naming convention you use.

Depending on your setup, and available time, I can look at changing this for you?

I wrote another util that checks CMIS daily for any new students. If it finds any, it creates the AD account, Exchange mailbox, home folder, sets quotas and permissions on the home folder, sets the 1st logon password and makes the account a member of the relevant groups. The SAM logon name is Surname + last 4 digits of admission number, e.g. Joe Bloggs becomes Bloggs1234, while the 1st password is Password1234.

This means admin staff at the point of registration have definate values to deal with and can issue the student with the relevant detail.

Because somebody asked me about doing the same for SIMS I have started on it and currently I am at the stage where I can extract new student details from SIMS. I haven't touched the code for a long while now, due to time constraints.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know my highschool used a simple number system (eg: 009465) which the origins of the system started at the library then when the office updated their system they decided to use it as well and then the IT dept used it. So all the students needed to do was look at their ID cards/timetables to know it and its unique to each student in the school.
    Last edited by p858snake; 30th January 2009 at 06:48 AM.

Thank Post
    We usually leave it to the parents to name them. Although we do have a few choice names for some of them. As far as user names are concerned we use year they started school surname first initial eg 08BloggsJ. If there is morre that one J Bloggs in the year the next one becomes 08BloggsJ1 and so on.

Thank Post
    <year of entry> & <first name initial> & <surname>

However we curtail surnames to 5 letters. Remove all apostrophes and hyphens although some old usernames remain with them in.

For year of entry we do them by year group so if someone joined year 10 now, they would be 05 because that year as a whole started in 2005.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234