+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows Thread, Student Naming Convention in Technical; We have: surname-firstinitial So i would be: parker-n and then we use OUs and groups to sort out securities and ...
    Thank Post
    We have: surname-firstinitial
    So i would be: parker-n
    and then we use OUs and groups to sort out securities and organise everything.
    Every year, we simply rename the last OU (Grade 12 in our case) to Grade 12 (2008 Backup)
    and increment the name of every other OU and group, and create a new one for the incoming Grade 4 students.

Thank Post
    Another user of sims admission numbers here.

We use a letter to distinguish year group which that year keeps their in time in school and the last 4 digits of their sims admission number. so...

Y7123
    G9186
    N9812

etc..

Pupils keep their username from First to upper 6th years. User folder contents is purged at the end of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th forms. Their accounts are deleted after the summer they leave.

3. Thanks to Teth from:

Jacques (27th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by terrorvis View Post
    I've never understood why people create individual shares (hidden or otherwise) for each user. NTFS permissions are better in my opinion.

One share for the users drive, and correct NTFS permissions is much quicker to sort out especially if you use the handy script in the wiki, or an app such as Active User Manager.

We use Intake Year-Five Letters of Family Name - First Initial - Add a number if more than one.
    Eg. The third Joe Bloggs in Year 7 Will be 8bloggJ3
    We use hidden shares to make it easier for students to get to their directories - all other students directories is hidden. No clutter. The only way to hide directories from showing is by hidden share. (What you don't see, won't bother or be a temptation to you)

We do the same with teachers and admin staff - this is a preferred and promoted way for creating shares??

Thank Post
    I can't thank all of you enough for sharing your situations and reasons for doing that! This got us thinking of a number of pro's and con's for doing it in any way really!

I like the use of the student number, but you need to add to it some year group identifier?
    I like the fact that if you plan this properly, you never have to re-create any accounts!
    I would like to make it as easy as posable for the younger kids, but I also realise that they are so used to computers in year 3, that they most probably would be fine with a number? (They know their own mobile phone number!!)

EDUGEEK is a very impressive tool

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Student Naming Convention?

I call them all 'urchin' or 'oi, you'

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post

I like the use of the student number, but you need to add to it some year group identifier?
    Yes, you need some sort of year group identifier, if only to make life easier when some software or folder system needs to be set up for specific users. At-a-glance is always good

I would be cautious about using student number. There was some discussion a few months back regarding data protection and being able to find out too much about a pupil from their logon/email address. I personally like the idea of a Year Group letter, suggested earlier, rather than numerical year as this provides some transparency for the user. I am seriously of switching over to this system.

First 3 letters of forename and first 3 letters of surname is good idea too and will help to anonymise logons - however our children are so young when they start, it's hard enough for them to do their own forename without going on to their surname.

Because of small year groups, our logons are just nnForename (e.g. 07Bess) and where we have 3 Alicias in one class they are nnAlicia* (Where * is the first letter of their surname)

Thank Post
    @ Domino: Love That!!!

PEO
    Thank Post
    year of entry first initial then 4 first letters of surname, then 4 random letters and numbers

09kpear9ih7 <- Example

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    We use hidden shares to make it easier for students to get to their directories - all other students directories is hidden. No clutter. The only way to hide directories from showing is by hidden share. (What you don't see, won't bother or be a temptation to you)

We do the same with teachers and admin staff - this is a preferred and promoted way for creating shares??
    Server 2003 introduced something called Access Based Enumeration. that makes it really easy to have (eg) d:\home\user1, d:\home\user2 etc with d:\home shared as home. You then set the home folder to be \\server\home\user1, \\server\home\user2 and so on. Provided that the permissions are set so that users only have access to their own folder (ie no rights on the folder d:\home, only on d:\home\user1 etc) then even if they try and map to \\server\home they only see their own folder.

Doing it like this makes life *much* easier - you just have one top level share. It also means that admins can access \\server\home and then browse into any folder they need.

It used to cause problems to have too many shares on a server; I don't think it does any longer (although it might slightly slow down server startup; each share is effectively re-created at startup)

Even if you don't turn on ABE users can't do any harm with trying to browse to \\server\home\<other user name> provided you have the permissions right.

11. Thanks to srochford from:

Jacques (28th January 2009)

Thank Post
    We use CMIS instead of SIMS, but as somebody else pointed out, the admission number is unique and so we use it as part of the student's user names. We use Surname + last 4 digits of admission number, and the admission number is also added into the Initials field. That way even if a student's surname changed halfway through their school career we can still track them easily.
    All our accounts are arranged by OU and the home folders arranged by year group.
    This system has it's limitations, but many advantages, too.

Thank Post
    Here's a slight variation for you to consider:
    We use the first two letters of their first name, followed by the first two letters of their surname and then add their day and month of birth.

jobl0211 for example.

The reasons behind this were:
    a. You can't guess their age from their user name (IIRC, this was in line with Becta guidance).
    b. It's very easy for users to remember.
    c. We don't have to change it.

HTH...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Server 2003 introduced something called Access Based Enumeration. that makes it really easy to have (eg) d:\home\user1, d:\home\user2 etc with d:\home shared as home. You then set the home folder to be \\server\home\user1, \\server\home\user2 and so on. Provided that the permissions are set so that users only have access to their own folder (ie no rights on the folder d:\home, only on d:\home\user1 etc) then even if they try and map to \\server\home they only see their own folder.

Doing it like this makes life *much* easier - you just have one top level share. It also means that admins can access \\server\home and then browse into any folder they need.

It used to cause problems to have too many shares on a server; I don't think it does any longer (although it might slightly slow down server startup; each share is effectively re-created at startup)

Even if you don't turn on ABE users can't do any harm with trying to browse to \\server\home\<other user name> provided you have the permissions right.
    Thanks srochford

I will defenitly look into this!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use Year of Entry + First Initial + Surname

so 08JBloggs

In the event of there being 2 pupils with the same name, it then becomes Year Of Entry + First Initial + Middle Initial+Surname

As for home drives, they have H:\ and a Workbox drive which is an external HDD in my office which the HOD takes home once a term to mark all the work.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use a00001, a00002, a00003... and put them in an OU called Students_2002 showing their year of entry. Then b00001, b00002 ect in OU Students_2003.

I don't see any need to link the username to an admission number or something like that. Its just a user name.

Thank Post
    another vote for sims (or admissions) number...

unique....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast