+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows Thread, Student Naming Convention in Technical; Just had a discussion with Vikpaw and Artsaudi, and keeping the same username will become even more important if we ...
    Thank Post
    Just had a discussion with Vikpaw and Artsaudi, and keeping the same username will become even more important if we implement Learning Gateway on portal server. You realy do not want to redo them every year, and recreate them in the VLE?? It seems like the use of the student number is not a bad idea if you are useing this name as email address etc etc. It will protect them a little more than using Initials and Last Name?

Now we have even more reason to figure out a change of student user accounts!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    It seems like the use of the student number is not a bad idea if you are useing this name as email address etc etc. It will protect them a little more than using Initials and Last Name?
    This is one of the main reasons that here, we use a number. It anonymises them just that little bit.

Thank Post
    [start yeart][surname][initial]

07BloggsJ

We share a sixthform with the boys school next door. They use the same setup but put a random two digit number on the end. Generaly we use the same usernames when adding them onto our system.

My old place used to use accession numbers, this caused no end of trouble since every year the office wanted to wait longer and longer before issuing them. The last intake before I left were waiting for two weeks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    Every school has pupils coming and going all the time, maybe an international school has a greater flow than most, but the flow is still there in all schools.

Prefixing the logon with 2 digits so that pupils in the same year-group are clustered together makes life easier. The actual number and exactly what it represents doesn't matter very much, you just need to keep the kids in the same year group together to ensure that permissions and access are the same for all of them.

We take children up to age 11, and use the year the children start in Reception, so this year's Reception class has 08 logons for the 2008/9 intake year.

Since the decision was made to give logons to the oldest children in our Pre-School, I also have 09 logons... these children won't start Reception until 2009-10, but that doesn't matter. Anyone who joins these classes, even if they don't start until Year 6 will have the same logon prefix as their class-mates.

Thank Post
    I have used all sorts of methods in the past, but one which we seemed to settle on was year/form/intialname. This helped to prevent the duplicate names, but also for some reason I seem to have come across lots of pupils who have official names that they dont like to be know as. So you will get joe blogs come up and say hi my name is james can you reset my password(this was an accepted policy as teachers also called the pupils by their chosen name). After searching and searching you finally find that he's giving you the wrong information. Knowing the form too helps cut down that problem no end.

The pupils information was taken from SIMS so it was always their official names. The downside to this is if the pupils move form, especially when the teachers dont tell you.

Personally if I could reset them now, I think I would use a number, but when I have tried to make changes like that in the past I have been blocked by teachers. They seem to think that the pupils would struggle to remember their usernames. I think it would be the teachers who would stuggle more

Thank Post
    we use:

<first_initial>+'-'+<surname>+<year_group_turns_18>

eg:

j-bloggs2019

the <year_group_turns_18> is fixed so doesn't change and identifies the year group.

Thank Post
    Hi

Sorry, i haven't had time to read everything so ignore me if this has already been said.

we use the SIMS.net Admission number. they are all unique and run through the students time at the school.

I am sure it has plenty of flaws but that's what we do (set up before i started)

Tony

Thank Post
    We're just about to trial email addresses using year of entry initials of firstname and surname and student admission number. Joe Blogs who started in 2005 and had an admission number of 1234 would be 05jb1234. If this works as email we will probably try to use the same format for usernames.

Thank Post
    Nominal entry year + First initial + 2 letters Last name + serial number.

So, if Joe Bloggs is a Yr9, he would be 06JBL01.
    If we had a Jill Black, she would be 06JBL02

...and so on...

My theory is that 'zero blah letter letter letter zero blah' is easier to remember!

7&Y

Thank Post
    Here I use first 4 letters of surname and then initials of Christian names.
    So John S Smith would be johnss. Occasionally I hit duplicate usernames but very rarely (there are about 2 students with an additional x in their username).

I includes the students year of entry in their description which makes student deletion much easier.

I export all my new students from SIMS then run them through the Excel spreadsheet I have for user creation. It creates me text for the batch files I run to create a users account, home directory and set the permissions on it.

Deletion is much the same. I move the accounts of the leavers to a seperate OU get a list of the accounts and import it onto excel. That then lets me create batch files to remove their home directories and mail directories.

(Excel is my friend! )

Thank Post
    We currently use class,surname,initial. However I am going to change this over the summer. As we are having a nightmare when children change class. We will be going down the route of intake year, surname, initial. Then grouping the children in classes in the OU. We will be placing homedrives in one intake year folder.

This will make my life much easier. Well I hope......

Thank Post
    HI

We use Surname, forename initial, middle name initial and year they started.

I have tried all sorts of condemnations but when students move up a year some of methods can cause problems like putting yr7 at in the name. They then get put in a intake year and stop there till they leave which helps as there is no moving people from ou to ou each year. All I do it create a new intake and move the left intake to another server just in case something is needed after they leave. I then hold this backup till the next year group gets archieved.

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    The only serious flaw here is the private share of the student Home Directories. This is a manual process after the creation of the student accounts for 1500 students!

Any bright ideas on a better naming scheme or how to automate the private share creation??
    I've never understood why people create individual shares (hidden or otherwise) for each user. NTFS permissions are better in my opinion.

One share for the users drive, and correct NTFS permissions is much quicker to sort out especially if you use the handy script in the wiki, or an app such as Active User Manager.

We use Intake Year-Five Letters of Family Name - First Initial - Add a number if more than one.
    Eg. The third Joe Bloggs in Year 7 Will be 8bloggJ3

Thank Post
    On reflection, it might have been simpler for us to abbreviate the longer names but at least there's less chance that the High School will say they can't even spell their own names!

Thank Post
    We are on CC3 and currently create a intake folder in the student users structure, eg 2007 Intake and import all users from a sims generated csv file.

They are imported as surname + first initial so Jo Bloggs becomes bloggsj, any duplicates are suffixed with a number so Jim Bloggs would become bloggsj1, Jane Bloggs, bloggsj2 etc.

As they don't have year or class identifiers with them, the username follows them throughout their time in school and it is easier for them to remember and spell (sometimes!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast