+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Tricky printer deployment in Technical; I'm sure part of this has been answered many times in the past (as per the search I looked through) ...

Thank Post

Tricky printer deployment

I'm sure part of this has been answered many times in the past (as per the search I looked through) but it's a slightly different take on the usual question (I think)

Ok we have Print Manager Plus client Billing Edition which means I can set a quota up for students (ie give them a budget for printing) and for staff I can get them to use their departmental copier codes for print tracking to a department.

To do this I need to install a copy of each printer twice as one will be set for students and their quota and the other set for staff ok so far?

So I need to deploy printer by OU so that the correct printer goes to the correct machines (ie IT suite get the IT room printers) BUT I only want students to get the student printer and staff the staff printer.

So I want to deploy by OU and user. I'm presuming I can do something like deploy with 2003 R2 print management then use a login script to make sure only the correct printer is present?

anyone got any better ideas or a way of implementing this?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    What you're suggesting isn't possible. You can deploy printers either by computer or per user.

In your situation you'd need to deploy printers per user. On your print server, lets say you have a printer shared called Printer1, with an IP of 192.168.1.50. You can then create a second copy of the printer (using the same port), but share it as Printer2, for example.

Then using R2 Print Management, deploy the relevant printer to the relevant group of users. If you deployed the printers per machine level, this would apply to any user that logs onto the machine.

3. Thanks to Michael from:

Rich44 (26th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Per user isn't going to work either if you think about it. Per user will give teachers who aren't fixed in one location (not many of these) printers that aren't in the room they're teaching in. so a Bilogy teacher using an IT room would not have the IT room printer......

I've been told it is possible with a combination of deploying them at OU level then using a per user login script to either set the correct printer or remove the ones that aren't suitable.

It may not be possible with the GPO tools as provided by MS but you can do pretty much anything with the right series of scripts.

I accept it's not possible with just deploying printers I was 99.999% certain that would be the case.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    I can't see how you'd do it, irrelevant if you use GPOs or Scripts, but you're right; deploying per user will deploy the ICT Printer everywhere, whereas deploying to machines - (you could do this), but every user would see two printers in the ICT room.

I suppose you could deploy per machine, then set deny permissions on the printers themselves. Not sure what results you'd get from this. It should work in theory.

6. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    Logon scripts seems like the best way to deploy what you are trying achieve...

If you didn't want to do it as logon scripts, you could deploy them via AD/GP as Startup scripts so that they only run once...

What about Loopback Merge Mode, isn't this what LMM is useful for? applying user settings to rooms?

8. Thanks to DrPerceptron from:

Thank Post
    HI

There are many ways to do this and loads of scipts can be put into the user log on scripts in the staff and students ou's, this is only one method.

First set up the printers twice on your print server and set the appropriate security permissions.

Set the location in the environmental variables on each client.
    location.JPG

Now create a folder in your netlogon and copy into con2prt.exe

Now create 2 bat scripts one for staff and one for students with the printers that they should use.

Mine looks something like this

@ECHO OFF

REM **Example Printers.bat file **
    REM ** Set a variable called 'Location' on each pc

REM ** This line removes any printers from the profile
    \\server2003\NETLOGON\CON2PRT /F

REM ** These lines match the variable to a print share

IF %Location% == Room1 \\server\NETLOGON\CON2PRT /C \\printer1\HPLaserJSEN
    IF %Location% == Room21 \\server\NETLOGON\CON2PRT /CD \\printserver\printer2

IF %Location% == Room24 \\server\NETLOGON\CON2PRT /CD \\printserver\printer3
    IF %Location% == Room25 \\server\NETLOGON\CON2PRT /C \\printserver\printer4

Then you put one logon script in the user bit of the staff and students gpo.

Please remember that the location on the machine and the script is case sensitive.

Just an idea.

Richard

10. Thanks to ricki from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    We do this to give all staff access to the staff workroom printer from wherever they are but students don't get it installed.

So you could give staff with laptops a default printer like that and then also give them all the other printers for them to choose which one to print too.

Ben

12. Thanks to plexer from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread