+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Virgin Media Cable Unplugged in Technical; One of my friends has been using Virgin Media on a Windows 2000 machine without any problems. Network cable comes ...

Thank Post

Virgin Media Cable Unplugged

One of my friends has been using Virgin Media on a Windows 2000 machine without any problems. Network cable comes from back of set top box into the machine. She has bought an Ipod Touch which requires Win XP so she bought a new machine.
    However, the network card always says cable unplugged even though it works on the Win 2000 machine. Tried on a normal network at work and says connected etc.
    Does it have to be set to run at 100mbps rather than auto detect? Any other ideas ?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Auto Detect allows the router and computer to detect the best possible speed, which in most cases is 100Mbps. This is easily quick enough as most people have internet connections around 2Mbps.

On the XP machine, within Control Panel > Network Connections, make sure your Local Area Connection (default name) is enabled by right clicking it. If all you see is Disable then it is possible the network adapter is faulty.

Thank Post
    Check the cable is/isn't* a crossover (delete appropriately) and that the box has been power-cycled between tests.

Thank Post
    Connection is enabled as it works on the network in school. Don't think cable is a crossover as it works on Win 2000 machine.

Thank Post
    If I have this right: you have taken the network card out of the 2k machine (where it works) and put it in the XP machine (where it doesn't), but the card works in the XP machine when plugged into the school network.

Can you get any other machines to connect to the VM box?

Thank Post
    So you take the Windows XP computer (with this cable) to work and it connects fine, but then when you take it home and connect it to your router it doesn't work?

But connecting the Windows 2000 machine at home, with the same cable works? I would check that a static IP configuration hasn't been set on your XP machine. I can't think of anything else!?

Thank Post
    Network cable comes from back of set top box
    Do you mean modem or router?

Thank Post
    If it goes straight into the virgin modem you will need the driver on the machine. Which you won't need at school because you are just plugging it straight into the network

Thank Post
    Ok just to clarify a few things.
    By Set top box I mean the thing that sits near the TV. The cable aerial comes into it, and there is an RJ45 socket for the internet to come out of. This runs through the house and under carpets so is unable to be removed.
    The Win 2000 machine works fine using that cable. The Win XP machine just says cable is unplugged. When I take the Win XP machine to work in the same state - IE same network card (onboard). Plug any cable in and it says Connected.
    XP Machine is set to DHCP.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The cable companies used to tie you to a specific MAC address. Wouldn't expect to see a "disconnected" message if this was the case but it's just possible.

On the Windows 2000 machine, what's the default gateway (do an ipconfig at a command prompt) - it'll probably be something like 192.168.0.1 On the same PC, open a web browser and try to browse to that address - not sure if the set top boxes have a web interface but if they do then this should get you to it. Are there any options for things you can configure??

Can you take the XP box next to the set top box and try it with a short lead directly into the set top box? I know the lead appears to be working but something is obviously not right so it's useful to try eliminating stuff!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Is it dhcp? is it possible the virgin set top box has a reservation in it so that it will only talk to the mac address of the first pc connected i.e the 2000 machine? you might have to speak to virgin tech support about it.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    The cable companies used to tie you to a specific MAC address. Wouldn't expect to see a "disconnected" message if this was the case but it's just possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Is it dhcp? is it possible the virgin set top box has a reservation in it so that it will only talk to the mac address of the first pc connected i.e the 2000 machine?
    That's why I was wondering if any other machines would connect (but the "disconnected" message seemed throw a spanner in that theory).

If the message is a red herring, you should be able to register you MAC yourself. Take a look at Set up - Get started - Broadband - Help - Virgin Media.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    my ex's cable modem, would pick up a new mac address from just powering on/off the modem.

Thank Post
    Back to basics, is the light on on the back of the network card showing an established connection?

Secondly, without coming across rude, look in control panel network connections and check you don't have more than 1 network connection (firewire/wireless/etc) as it may be showing unplugged for something completely unrelated and "hidden" for the connected one.

Thank Post
    I think Cable companies stopped doing that years ago, in the age of 1 PC per broadband connection was the norm, but soon people (understandably) wanted to use multiple machines wirelessly.

If you connect the cable to the XP machine (at home) and you open a command prompt:

Start > Run > CMD then type ipconfig /all

The IP address should be a class C, so something along the lines of 192.168.1.2, with a subnet of 255.255.255.0. The gateway and DNS entries should be the same IP as your router also.

If this seems in order, make sure proxy settings are turned off. Many companies and schools use a proxy server. Start > Settings > Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections > Lan Settings

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast