+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Ghost Images in Technical; Hi, Just a random discussion about Ghost Images..... What is the size of your largest Ghost Image? Where do you ...
    Thank Post

Cool Ghost Images

Hi,
    Just a random discussion about Ghost Images.....

What is the size of your largest Ghost Image?

Where do you keep your Ghost Images?

Do you periodically Update your images with all the Updates and Software available?

Do you have an image for each model PC or for Each Room/Department with the relevant software on the image?

Any body else got any more questions too add?

D

Thank Post
    What is the size of your largest Ghost Image? 20gb with z9 compression

Where do you keep your Ghost Images? On our Application Server on a TB Raid

Do you periodically Update your images with all the Updates and Software available? Usually every Summer, Depending if department request any additional software.

Do you have an image for each model PC or for Each Room/Department with the relevant software on the image? Basic image of Each model (XP, Office, Common Apps) Each Department has same model

Mike

Thank Post
    What is the size of your largest Ghost Image?25GB i think

Where do you keep your Ghost Images? On a network share currently held on a buffalo terastation

Do you periodically Update your images with all the Updates and Software available?Usually every summer

Do you have an image for each model PC or for Each Room/Department with the relevant software on the image?Yes unfortunately for me

As said before i have a basic build for each model and then a build with all curriculum software, this year however i am creating images for departmental areas, so this will hopefully cut down the size of the images.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    Hi,
    Largest I've seen is about 8Gb.

On a separate hard drive in the Imaging Server.

Do you periodically Update your images with all the Updates and Software available?
    Updates deployed by WSUS and software via MSI in GPO. Most of our images are Windows + Drivers only, so no more than say 2Gb in size. Currently building a new imaging server based around RIS and Clonezilla so most images will get updated over the next term. Ordinarily images are created once when we get a new model in.

Do you have an image for each model PC or for Each Room/Department with the relevant software on the image?
    Because software is rolled out via GPO, we just have one image per model. Last place did 'per model per department'.

Thank Post
    I know I should have put this info in my first post but its still early.

What is the size of your largest Ghost Image?28GB with Fast compression

Where do you keep your Ghost Images?Currently on a network share but looking into a linux openfiler box

Do you periodically Update your images with all the Updates and Software available?I like to keep my images up to date and ready to go whenever i need them, saves me installing the software after ghosting

Do you have an image for each model PC or for Each Room/Department with the relevant software on the image?We have an image for each model and also images for departments.

Jed
    Thank Post
    What is the size of your largest Ghost Image? 12GB

Where do you keep your Ghost Images? stored on a server running raid 5. These are backed up once a week to a backup server running raid in a seperate location.

Do you periodically Update your images with all the Updates and Software available? as much as possible, normally if we have a PC in for a fix, we clean it up, run updates and take an image

Do you have an image for each model PC or for Each Room/Department with the relevant software on the image?We have an image for each model of PC and special images for departments that are slightly different, for example our Finance department has a build with FMS installed. In general if we distribute a piece of deparment specific software we try and take an image asap.

A note to be aware of is if you are going to sysprep images, don't do it more than three times otherwise the images get unstable. Where you can, create a new build.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Jed; 21st January 2009 at 09:28 AM.

Thank Post
    What is the size of your largest Ghost Image? 43Gb but most images are a lot smaller

Where do you keep your Ghost Images? NAS

Do you periodically Update your images with all the Updates and Software available? We update but usually only the secirity updates

Do you have an image for each model PC or for Each Room/Department with the relevant software on the image? bit of both but mostly model of pc. We go to room level for custom builds eg music room

Thank Post
    What is the size of your largest Ghost Image? 4gb

Where do you keep your Ghost Images? Everywhere! One copy on a partition of each PC, one on the apps server and another on a external HDD

Do you periodically Update your images with all the Updates and Software available? Summer or when service packs/major updates are released

Do you have an image for each model PC or for Each Room/Department with the relevant software on the image? We have 2 or 3 common models accross the school, so there is a basic XP image for each model, the software is deployed as a GP through AD when the PC joins the domain and is added to a group for each specific department

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    What is the size of your largest Ghost Image? 10GB

Where do you keep your Ghost Images? On our 2TB External Drive connected to our IBM xServe

Do you periodically Update your images with all the Updates and Software available? When I get a chance.

Do you have an image for each model PC or for Each Room/Department with the relevant software on the image? Some

Thank Post
    My biggest is 48 gig, its for our pupils laptops, store all my images on external USB harddrives and keep a backup on the NAS drive.

God it would be a nightmare if i never had ghost.

Thank Post
    I concur with this, how much of a Bi*ch would life be without Ghost!

D

Thank Post
    Hi,
    Just a random discussion about Ghost Images.....

About 2.5GB compressed.

Virtual server

No, I roll updates dynamically during deployment if imaging, or day-to-day by normal means. Once a year I'll consolidate them into the image.

No, I dynamically load the right drivers, settings and software for each type of machine during deployment. One image for all. I pre-stage the machine in Active Directory, boot off PXE and leave it for an hour, and it does every deployment stage and then boots ready for use. Don't even have to name it
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 21st January 2009 at 09:54 AM.

Thank Post

Ghost Images

Largest 24gb
    stored on SAN (2TB)

Different image for each hardware type

Update software and updates every holiday

Thank Post
    We do not generally use ghost for software deployment, we do use it for backing up client machines (if necessary). Images are kept for up to 30 days.

So Largest Image - depends on HD ~200GB

Stored on Ghost File Server with a few TB's of storage.

Thank Post
    I run the older Driver Image (or Image Centre), which became Ghost, when Symantec bought them.

10gb, and I was worrying that this was getting too large, the most of them are around 5gb. The large one has Pro D, Pro E and Adobe Photoshop / Premiere.

On the server running the Driveimage, the disk is about 200gb

Yeach, we do them all over summer, but we usually update them at additional times during the year.
    We build a basic image per system build, and then cplit this into room based ones, staff ones, and general student use ones. We install most software everywhere, there's only a few software that isn't a full site license.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast