+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, slow log on windows xp in Technical; We had these problems, I have now removed branding on IE and all pc's are SP3, is faster now....
    Thank Post
    We had these problems, I have now removed branding on IE and all pc's are SP3, is faster now.

Thank Post
    We had a similar problem with XP clients, it was unrelated to GP - actually had some DNS issues with a rogue router handing out the wrong primary DNS IP. If the primary DNS didn't point to the main DC/DNS controller for us, it would hang at that point for ages. Soon as you switch it back, sorted. I had a KB article bookmarked somewhere but can't lay my hands on it at the moment...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    Fluke In-Line Nettool sounds like a nice piece of kit but then I looked at the price. Ouch its expensive.

Richard
    £2000 with the Voip Option and I just bought the Etherscope II with all the options as well ...
    I would rather spend all the profits on test gear than give it to Gordon in taxes to waste on BSF and the Financal Sector Bail Outs....

Thank Post
    Just a thought on slow logins ... do you have your DNS servers IP set in the workstations Primary DNS servers setting? This can make a hugh difference in login times if you havent ..

Thank Post
    Problems we have had look to down to large profiles and faulty desktop and start menu shortcuts.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Might be worth changing to mandatory profiles, it only took me 30mins to do and cut our school wide login times by about 50%.

Thank Post
    Probably not your issue but someone might find this relevant...

We were having logon speed issues at the start of lessons (after a final big switch from Windows 2000 to XP), after much investigating it was our application server which was suffering - we have as much software as possible run from a server rather than locally installed.

We have a single madatory profile which contained shortcuts to the networked apps.

AT logon Windows XP would look at/open every application pointed to from the start menu, so the app server was being hit by hundreds of requests for every available .exe.

The reason seemed to be that Windows XP was trying to populate its iconcache.db file - for Windows 2000 this was a system file on a given PC, for XP it's personal and PC specific.

XP stores the file in profile\local settings\application data, luckily a populated iconcache.db file will be downloaded from a mandatory profile even though it's in "Local Settings".

To further alleviate the problem, I've set the shortcuts to mostly be stored in the local alluser profile (having them in a single mandatory profile made management very easy).

This was compounded by the antivirus software scanning each .exe as it was opened - scarily we have one which is a few 100Mbytes, even though it was set not to !

(I think the av issue was it using actual server paths even though everything we have is accessed via DFS.)

8. Thanks to TimH from:

ICT_GUY (23rd January 2009)

Thank Post
    On the primary dc its got 127.0.0.1 as its dns.

I have been doing some checking of the other server and one of them is down to 8% free space so I am working on that now, but I will come back to this.

Richard

Thank Post
    Sorry I forgot. I have stopped clients scanning all files that are not on the local machine. This helped a bit.

Richard

Thank Post
    hmm,

We have our Primary DNS pointing to DNS 2 and secondary at itself, then Secondary DNS points to DNS 1 and secondary as itself. (needs to be changed really to involve our 3rd DC...)

It might be an idea, if you haven't already, to look into consolidating GPO's - the more individual GPO's it has to process the longer it takes, less GPO's quicker processing (I found), still have the same level of security and same bits and pieces going out, but this time in half the total number of GPO's... you could also look at comparing the times of two PC's which are slow whereby one has software deployed to it via GP/AD and the other doesn't. I never really looked into it much, but I've suspected for a while now that in our domain at least, PC's with assigned software installs are more sluggish than those which don't have software assigned.

@sidewinder, I don't remember Vista ever telling me what GPO it was currently processing, then again, not a lot of GPO's applied to my Vista machine. Windows 7 isn't telling me much in that way either. All 3 do tell you that they're applying the Default Domain Policy, that's the only one I've ever really seen.
    Last edited by DrPerceptron; 23rd January 2009 at 10:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Something else you might want to check here are your switches.

STP is a good LAN killer. It is misunderstood and highly dodgy to use on a non-redundant link.

You should be using "RSTP" or "Fastswitching" rather than STP if your switch supports it, it's got an undesirable overhead and has the habit of blocking ports and uplinks when a new NIC appears along the switched run!

Here is a scenario for the un-initiated....
    You have a lab of 30 machines, 24 of these are switched on and are linked to the network.
    All 24 currently have IP addresses and are looking at the login screens.

Your switches have STP enabled because in the past little johnny has "Short Circuited" two network outlets with a patch cable and this seemed to help stop the symptoms.

So, teacher tells the class to login.
    The 24 machines start the login process running scripts and mapping printers.

The remaining 6 are booted from cold by the users.

Just to add to the problem one of the six still has the BIOS set to LAN Boot first so it Broadcasts for a PXE server (F12)

The uplink port(s) that has STP enabled BLOCKS ALL TRAFFIC whilst the MAC addresses of the six cold boot machines are checked across all ports effectively stalling the entire classroom!
    Once happy the uplink is unblocked and the traffic resumes flow.

Hey, but it's not over yet, the PXE booting has eventually passed or failed because it could not find an active WDS server so the last machine is now loading Windows and is initialising it's NIC drivers again... oh look! STP starts blocking again whilst it checks the MAC tables all over again...

In the meantime your policies have not been processed correctly or your printer scripts have failed due to the latency introduced by the STP blocking and the added overhead stuck on top of every packet travelling from you Lab to the server room!

STP is a really useful tool when used for the right reasons but it can equally cripple your network when used incorrectly.

So, check all of your ports from desktop to logon server and fileserver or where your users home folders and profiles are kept.
    Turn off STP, use RSTP if you must or "Fastswitching" is you have Netgear managed switches.

Now try your logins.....

OK, it won't fix everyones problems but if it works for just a few people that read this thread it was worth writing it up!

This is especially relevant to those using WDS/RIS/GHOST where the DHCP server is on a different machine to WDS.
    STP will cause you some serious DHCP latency when you are trying to initialise your PE boot processes.

I can think of a dozen other ways that STP can hurt your network performance without trying too hard and only a few where it is absolutely essential (such as the 10Gbe fibre loop we run around the hoops stadium).
    Last edited by m25man; 31st January 2009 at 01:33 PM.

Thank Post
    I am not sure if this will help you...and to be honest I am not sure how this works but was chatting to another local tech who adviced I try intaliing windows script host 5.6 on the slow workstations.

After restarting pcs it probably cut my login times by half. The screen seems to stay on applying settings for slightly longer (but this seems good to me as it stops the kids trying to open things before pc is ready) but pc is ready to use ammediately. It definately had more of an effect on my older kit than newer though.

Like I say though I have no idea what it does, just installed it blindly to try it out but might be worth a go. If anyone can enlighten me I would be greatfull.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Good Luck

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12