+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Thread, SIMS.net & TS in Technical; Haha! It works! Thanks for your help guys! Especially Wes....

Thank Post
    Haha! It works! Thanks for your help guys! Especially Wes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw View Post
    From what our Support Team has said all V6 programs I.E. Assessment, Attendance, Exams won't work for any user on TS other than the one who installed it. A way round it is to install Sims Apps seperately for each user who needs the V6 tools. so within c:\program files\sims\ you would create a folder <username> then install sims apps to that using that specific users account (may need power user or even admin rights for this) have an icon for that specific SIMS install for that user on the desktop/start menu named something like TS SIMS .Net this should then work fine.
    Thanks for this post - I've (finally!) been setting up a Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services machine to run SIMS. I ran in to the same problem - SIMS reported sims.ini missing or incomplete, SIMS refused to run. I followed the advice quoted above and I've got SIMS working okay (I think - must get actual user to give it a try tomorrow). A thought, though - are we meant to be installing SIMS in Terminal Services' "install mode"? See:

Switching to installation mode not necessary anymore?, in the Terminal Services forum on BrianMadden.com

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    are we meant to be installing SIMS in Terminal Services' "install mode"?
    Yes, I think we are. I've just reimaged the TS server back to its freshly-installed state from yesterday and gone through the SIMS install, this time opening a command prompt and running "change user /install" before starting SIMSINT.EXE from the same command prompt. After that I ran "simsperm.bat CONVENT\dhicks", also from "s:\sims\setups". I found I had to add my domain account (CONVENT\dhicks) to the Remote Desktop User group locally on the Terminal Server, adding to the domain one made no difference.

I should probably create a domain group ("simsusers" or something) and assign that to the Terminal Server's Remote Desktop User group and run simsperm.bat for that group instead of individual users, then I can simply add users to that group and they can use the terminal server to run SIMS.

I've set the connection type in SIMS' connect.ini to TrustedAuto, so as soon as I start SIMS on the terminal server I get logged in. I've created an RDP file set to run SIMS as soon as it logs in, which all results in a remote connection icon that you click on, enter your standard domain username and password and get SIMS up to use.

Does anyone else have any thoughts, hints or comments to add?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I should probably create a domain group ("simsusers" or something) and assign that to the Terminal Server's Remote Desktop User group and run simsperm.bat for that group instead of individual users, then I can simply add users to that group and they can use the terminal server to run SIMS.
    Hmm, yes - but do this first, as the TS server seems to conk out and not let anyone log in remotely (and therefore needs reimaging again) if you try and move user/group permissions around too much.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123