+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, IIS problem - How do I make address friendly? in Technical; I have never got round to this before but it's about time that I worked out how to do it! ...
    Thank Post

IIS problem - How do I make address friendly?

I have never got round to this before but it's about time that I worked out how to do it!

We have several apps/sites that run on IIS on both server 2000 and 2003.

They are accessed by browsing to, for example http://10.20.55.21/roombooking.

How can I set it up so the user just has to type in EduGeek.net ?

Is that within IIS or a DNS setting.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Yes, you can add a CNAME record into DNS for this:

Add an alias (CNAME) resource record to a zone: Domain Name System(DNS)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the link but I still can't see how to do it!

I can't see how I can add http://10.50.22.55/booking in there.

Can someone give a little more help?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ou cant add a sub directory to DNS

you can make roombooking resolve to the machine IP, but will need to change the default home page to autoforward to the /booking directory

Thank Post
    if all the different sub folders are on the same server then you would need a more complicated script that inspects the url the person typed in and auto forwarded to the correct sub folder eg if the put booking into address bar it would go 10.50.22.55/booking and say they put portal into the address bar it would go 10.50.22.55/portal
    you would need to set up cnames or a records pointing to the 10.50.22.55 server in DNS

Thank Post
    Do you use ISA server by any chance?

I know this sounds a little bit wrong but what I'm going to suggest actually works really well. I've used this method in the past for quick fixes before finding better solutions.

Create a CNAME in DNS that points to your ISA server, for example 'RoomBookings'. So now if you browse to "http://RoomRookings" you will be taken to your ISA and nothing will be displayed.

In ISA create a Web Publishing Rule that listens on the internal interface for inbound requests for the address "http://RoomBookings.YourDomain.ac.uk". Then simply configure the rule in ISA to forward the requests to your internal server on the port/URL you wish.

I know this seems a little backwards but it works fine and no traffic leaves your internal network, it just means that ISA gets a little more traffic internally.

I wouldn't recommend doing this for high traffic applications or for a permanent fix.

Thank Post
    For internal sites (I have them all on one IIS server, same IP) and I create a Group Policy to place the links in their IE bookmarks. So all they see is
    EMAIL
    WIKI
    SUBLIST

but the link is 10.50.22.55/wiki, 10.50.22.55/exchange, 10.50.22.55/sublist etc.

I figure if it's only going to used internally, and their web browser favorites is their 'internal web portal' then all is good.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    Do you use ISA server by any chance?

I know this sounds a little bit wrong but what I'm going to suggest actually works really well. I've used this method in the past for quick fixes before finding better solutions.

Create a CNAME in DNS that points to your ISA server, for example 'RoomBookings'. So now if you browse to "http://RoomRookings" you will be taken to your ISA and nothing will be displayed.

In ISA create a Web Publishing Rule that listens on the internal interface for inbound requests for the address "http://RoomBookings.YourDomain.ac.uk". Then simply configure the rule in ISA to forward the requests to your internal server on the port/URL you wish.

I know this seems a little backwards but it works fine and no traffic leaves your internal network, it just means that ISA gets a little more traffic internally.

I wouldn't recommend doing this for high traffic applications or for a permanent fix.

You dont even need ISA for it, configure your room booking site as a virtual server so you cna have it as EduGeek.net

Thank Post
    Very true indeed, and a good point!

I've always done it that way for some reason or another, I can't think why though... I'm sure it was because of port IIS servers being on ports other than 80 and us not wanting clients to have to point to URL's with added port numbers outside of 80 - I think!?!

I'm sure ISA came into it for DNS reasons, as links on Internet/Intranet pages all pointed to the same place. All so confusing lol!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread