+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Data Execution Prevention in Technical; i have noticed that we have been getting the DEP message every time i remote on to the server im ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Data Execution Prevention

i have noticed that we have been getting the DEP message every time i remote on to the server im not sure what it could be. only that we havent really done anything major with this server its just a file print server which gets heavely used and has all of our profiles on for the staff and their n drives and aload of other stuff and also anti virus

in the dep list their is thing called theslinks and also windows explorer its starting to worrie me and also now i've just seen this message on one of our pupils pcs i hope this isnt some sort of virus in the system any one have problems with this before

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_lane View Post
    i have noticed that we have been getting the DEP message every time i remote on to the server im not sure what it could be. only that we havent really done anything major with this server its just a file print server which gets heavely used and has all of our profiles on for the staff and their n drives and aload of other stuff and also anti virus

in the dep list their is thing called theslinks and also windows explorer its starting to worrie me and also now i've just seen this message on one of our pupils pcs i hope this isnt some sort of virus in the system any one have problems with this before
    Do you have SP3 installed? I suspect so as DEP was a part of that servicepack. You can't switch it off as such, but you can set it so that it only monitors windows itself and not all programs.

Go to Start/Control Panel/System, Click on the 'avanced' tab and then the performance settings button. A dialouge box will then open You will then see DEP tab up the top. Click on it and then click on the radio button for 'turn on DEP for essential windows programs and services only.' Click on ok in both open dialouge boxes. This will hopefully resolve your problem.
    Last edited by eduabncs; 14th January 2009 at 04:45 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread